Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Everything Else

What Could Possibly Go Wrong When Hotel That Inspired ‘The Shining’ Digs Up A Pet Cemetery?

this is a discussion within the Everything Else Community Forum; What Could Possibly Go Wrong When Hotel That Inspired ‘The Shining’ Digs Up A Pet Cemetery?...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By saintfan
  • 1 Post By dizzle88
  • 1 Post By saintfan

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
10000 POST CLUB

What Could Possibly Go Wrong When Hotel That Inspired ‘The Shining’ Digs Up A Pet Cemetery?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
10000 POST CLUB

Re: What Could Possibly Go Wrong When Hotel That Inspired ‘The Shining’ Digs Up A Pet Cemetery?

Some Authors don't like the way their stories are told when they are made into films, King being one them

I remember in an interview with a news reporter here in the UK he said the woman that played the wife/mother on the shining was " Only there to scream, cry and be a moron"

They are still two of my favourite films though
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Donated Plasma

Re: What Could Possibly Go Wrong When Hotel That Inspired ‘The Shining’ Digs Up A Pet Cemetery?

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
Some Authors don't like the way their stories are told when they are made into films, King being one them

I remember in an interview with a news reporter here in the UK he said the woman that played the wife/mother on the shining was " Only there to scream, cry and be a moron"

They are still two of my favourite films though
That was Shelley Duvall. She comes across as a complete nervous wreck unsure of her own shadow in the movie...

On purpose.

I read something recently where it was said that the director, Stanley Kubrick, badgered her so badly about her performance that she nearly quit. He had her in tears every day. He confessed later that he did it on purpose to get her into the state he wanted her to be in.

Having seen that movie a hundred times it is my opinion that her role was far more than to scream, cry and be a moron. She is truly important to the film. She's a bit mousey and helpless and annoyingly positive, or at least she's trying to be positive in what clearly, for her, is a pretty unfortunate situation, even before Jack goes all the way over the edge.

It is, after all, HER fear we feel. Jack is just so damned good at playing a nut that he steals the show, and rightfully so, but if you look a little deeper it's not even the kid, or even the chef who takes an ax to the chest, that we feel for. It's her. She's not the best actress to be sure, but I have to defend her in The Shining. It isn't the same movie without her.
dizzle88 likes this.

C'mon Man...
Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
10000 POST CLUB

Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
That was Shelley Duvall. She comes across as a complete nervous wreck unsure of her own shadow in the movie...

On purpose.

I read something recently where it was said that the director, Stanley Kubrick, badgered her so badly about her performance that she nearly quit. He had her in tears every day. He confessed later that he did it on purpose to get her into the state he wanted her to be in.

Having seen that movie a hundred times it is my opinion that her role was far more than to scream, cry and be a moron. She is truly important to the film. She's a bit mousey and helpless and annoyingly positive, or at least she's trying to be positive in what clearly, for her, is a pretty unfortunate situation, even before Jack goes all the way over the edge.

It is, after all, HER fear we feel. Jack is just so damned good at playing a nut that he steals the show, and rightfully so, but if you look a little deeper it's not even the kid, or even the chef who takes an ax to the chest, that we feel for. It's her. She's not the best actress to be sure, but I have to defend her in The Shining. It isn't the same movie without her.
Totally agree with you, she reacts the way she does due to how jack plays his character and both play great roles, stephen king on the other hand doesnt agree with us and called her a moron

I think king isnt fond of any of his books being made to films, he recently questioned why "Carrie" was being remade even though the director has said this version is the one thats truest to the book
saintfan likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Donated Plasma

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
Totally agree with you, she reacts the way she does due to how jack plays his character and both play great roles, stephen king on the other hand doesnt agree with us and called her a moron

I think king isnt fond of any of his books being made to films, he recently questioned why "Carrie" was being remade even though the director has said this version is the one thats truest to the book
I guess a lot of writers are that way. I know if "I" wrote a book I'd be happy if they made it into a cartoon. Royalties man! LOL
dizzle88 likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
10000 POST CLUB

Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
I guess a lot of writers are that way. I know if "I" wrote a book I'd be happy if they made it into a cartoon. Royalties man! LOL
Haha damn right! get all the credit and the money from other people doing the rest of the work because you made the best version - the original, to dream of being rich ey lol
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #7

Shelley Duvall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hACFF269B.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	8110  
Closed Thread