Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL

MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II I've got to admit he has made a good point, however that one point does not validate his argument. Give GSP a tennis racket, and have him play a couple sets against, I don't ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #21
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,387
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
I've got to admit he has made a good point, however that one point does not validate his argument.
Give GSP a tennis racket, and have him play a couple sets against, I don't know, Maria Sharapova. How many games do you think GSP is going to win? Hey, he's a superior athlete, right? This super-athlete, against sweet Maria, not even a contest, correct?: he can out-run her, out-jump her, out-punch her...

Most likely, Sharapova could sit on a chair and have GSP swing at air runing all over the place most of the time. Why would that be? SKILL!!

Athletics will always help anyone play sports, and there will always be some things from one sport that you can transfer to another: after all, sports include running, jumping, throwing, etc and using your hands and feet. But, to be GOOD at a sport, you need skills specific to that sport, and you do not get sport-specific skills by practicing another sport, period.

At the highest level of any sport, all the participants have more or less equal athletic abilities. What separates good players from bad-average players, is skills. What separates good players from superstars, is an innate ability to play a game, and that innate ability cannot be taught or obtained by any sort of training.

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Latest Blogs


Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


What i tell you ! !! ! Last Blog: 11-02-2014 By: SAINTstunna


Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
Athletics will always help anyone play sports, and there will always be some things from one sport that you can transfer to another: after all, sports include running, jumping, throwing, etc and using your hands and feet. But, to be GOOD at a sport, you need skills specific to that sport, and you do not get sport-specific skills by practicing another sport, period.
this is simply not true

i appreciate what you are trying to get at.....but like ive said before there are certain sports that have excercises that do help you in another sport

just like judo or most other martial arts

it helps to know how to control your weight and another persons weight when blocking

if you can manipulate your own weight and your opponents weight and take them down, then you can easily transfer that to a football field where your opponent no longer knows how to control their own momentum and you can take advantage of that

of course you do sport specific drills because those are the ones that will help the most.....but thats not to say that another drill from another sport couldnt possibly help you

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #23
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,387
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
this is simply not true

i appreciate what you are trying to get at.....but like ive said before there are certain sports that have excercises that do help you in another sport

just like judo or most other martial arts

it helps to know how to control your weight and another persons weight when blocking

if you can manipulate your own weight and your opponents weight and take them down, then you can easily transfer that to a football field where your opponent no longer knows how to control their own momentum and you can take advantage of that

of course you do sport specific drills because those are the ones that will help the most.....but thats not to say that another drill from another sport couldnt possibly help you
Canton, my man.
Do you understand what you quoted?
Do you even practice judo? What's your degree?

Now, please, PLEASE tell me, how does judo help you:
run better routes?
catch a football? Tap your toes on the side-line?
throw a football accurately? or longer? Or just throw the damned thing in a spiral?
keep up with a WR?
make you decide whether you break to the inside or the outside?
kick a field goal from 40 yards out? Or a onside kick?
read a defense?
recognize a hole in the defense?
not fumble the ball?
how does an o-lineman take anyone down without getting a holding penalty?
I can come up with more, but I am just dying to hear this...

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable

Last edited by Tobias-Reiper; 05-10-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #24
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,585
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

TR you obviously don't know much about Martial Arts. This has turned into an argument and no one is going to convince you that it has merit in football. Remember this though, you don't have the experience in Martial Arts to really argue your point effectively. Whether you like it or not Martial Arts are moving into the world of football. You'll just have to deal with it. You have made a valid point or two, just not enough to compensate for your lack of knowledge.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #25
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
Canton, my man.
Do you understand what you quoted?
Do you even practice judo? What's your degree?

Now, please, PLEASE tell me, how does judo help you:
run better routes?
catch a football? Tap your toes on the side-line?
throw a football accurately? or longer? Or just throw the damned thing in a spiral?
keep up with a WR?
make you decide whether you break to the inside or the outside?
kick a field goal from 40 yards out? Or a onside kick?
read a defense?
recognize a hole in the defense?
not fumble the ball?
how does an o-lineman take anyone down without getting a holding penalty?
I can come up with more, but I am just dying to hear this...
TR....let me let you in on a secret that you NEED to hear

you have no idea what you are talking about

do martial arts help you? of course....they can make your hands stronger to grip better as a WR, RB, TE, OL, LB, S, QB, DT, DE, CB.....did i miss anything?

as far as judo....look up judo.....train in judo for a few weeks....then tell me it doesnt help because until you do, you have absolutely no idea what you are actually saying

do i practice judo? not anymore, but i have in the past.....i do recommend judo to any offensive lineman i coach because it teaches you how to grab and take an opponent down

oh and as far as the offensive line goes, there is holding on every single play....the difference is where you hold....if you can manipulate a defensive players momentum and use their weight against them you can do lots of different things that you will never learn on a football field

but dont let my facts get in the way of your stubborness....you never have before

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,387
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
TR you obviously don't know much about Martial Arts. This has turned into an argument and no one is going to convince you that it has merit in football. Remember this though, you don't have the experience in Martial Arts to really argue your point effectively. Whether you like it or not Martial Arts are moving into the world of football. You'll just have to deal with it. You have made a valid point or two, just not enough to compensate for your lack of knowledge.
Again, as I mentioned before, I do have a blue sash in Wushu. Obviously you either didn't read that part, or just ignored it, or you don't know what Wushu is. Wushu happens to be the name of Chinese Martial Arts, better known now as Kung Fu ( I just like to call them by their original name).

And again, I have absolutely no problem with anyone practicing Martial Arts. I practice them. But for anyone to say that Martial Arts training is going to give you better football skills than football drills/training, that is just dumb. Will Martial Arts make you a better athlete? Sure! Will it give you more football skills as compared to football drills? No.

And yet again, sure you can take certain things from one sport and apply them to others, after all when you play sports you use your arms, legs, head, body to kick, throw, run, punch, etc. so it is only logical that you would be able to apply certain things to many different sports, but that is only on the athletic side, not the skill side. I will again give you the example of George St. Pierre playing Tennis against Maria Sharapova. Athletically, no comparison. Yet, I bet you anything you want that, in a Tennis match, Maria sleep-walks through humiliating GSP on a Tennis court. Or is it that it only applies to football?

For someone who claims to be a "Martial Arts teacher" you should know better than this. What makes you learn Martial Arts and advance in ranks and master your style? Repetition of the forms. Same thing that makes you a better football player, repetition of the forms. Now I am really questioning your statement about being a MA teacher, or who the hell gave you a rank in anything.

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,585
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
Again, as I mentioned before, I do have a blue sash in Wushu. Obviously you either didn't read that part, or just ignored it, or you don't know what Wushu is. Wushu happens to be the name of Chinese Martial Arts, better known now as Kung Fu ( I just like to call them by their original name).

And again, I have absolutely no problem with anyone practicing Martial Arts. I practice them. But for anyone to say that Martial Arts training is going to give you better football skills than football drills/training, that is just dumb. Will Martial Arts make you a better athlete? Sure! Will it give you more football skills as compared to football drills? No.

And yet again, sure you can take certain things from one sport and apply them to others, after all when you play sports you use your arms, legs, head, body to kick, throw, run, punch, etc. so it is only logical that you would be able to apply certain things to many different sports, but that is only on the athletic side, not the skill side. I will again give you the example of George St. Pierre playing Tennis against Maria Sharapova. Athletically, no comparison. Yet, I bet you anything you want that, in a Tennis match, Maria sleep-walks through humiliating GSP on a Tennis court. Or is it that it only applies to football?

For someone who claims to be a "Martial Arts teacher" you should know better than this. What makes you learn Martial Arts and advance in ranks and master your style? Repetition of the forms. Same thing that makes you a better football player, repetition of the forms. Now I am really questioning your statement about being a MA teacher, or who the hell gave you a rank in anything.
You aren't qualified to question me. If you don't understand just say so.
Let's not make this personal.....oh wait you have to have a personality first. It's simple....You're a freakin' idiot. You question my skills without having any of you own.
Now remember you're the one who isn't qualified not me.
If you would like to meet me to discuss this in person please let me know when and where. This has gotten ugly and it's a reflection of your personality.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #28
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,387
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
as far as judo....look up judo.....train in judo for a few weeks....then tell me it doesnt help because until you do, you have absolutely no idea what you are actually saying

do i practice judo? not anymore, but i have in the past.....i do recommend judo to any offensive lineman i coach because it teaches you how to grab and take an opponent down
Right here, Canton, you are full of ****.

Again, I have a blue sash in Kung Fu that took me YEARS to get because my Sifu didn't get sashes away like most American "schools".

No true Martial Art is learned in "a few weeks". The first "few weeks" in my qwoon was learn how to stretch and try to hold a beginners' horse stance for 20 minutes. If you think you learned a hold or a strike in "a few weeks", go ask for your money back.

And last: if an o-lineman grabs and takes down an opponent, that is a 10 yard holding penalty.

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #29
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,387
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
You aren't qualified to question me. If you don't understand just say so.
Let's not make this personal.....oh wait you have to have a personality first. It's simple....You're a freakin' idiot. You question my skills without having any of you own.
Now remember you're the one who isn't qualified not me.
If you would like to meet me to discuss this in person please let me know when and where. This has gotten ugly and it's a reflection of your personality.
And could you please tell me how am I not qualified? Just because you said so? So far, the only thing that has come out of you, is "I'm right and you are wrong" with NOTHING, ABSOULTELY NOTHING to back it up. So far it's been you saying "I have skills and you don't".

You are just another poser. I'll let you get back at playing pretend with the pretend football player and Canton..
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #30
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Re: MMA SPORTS/ JAY GLAZER

I have a crowbar and 357 try and roundhouse me ...are u faster than a bullet...lol




Last edited by strato; 05-10-2010 at 11:52 PM..
strato is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/26471-mma-sports-jay-glazer.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
http://blackandgold.com/nfl/26471-mma-sports-jay-glazer.html This thread Refback 05-09-2010 07:12 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts