Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL
Shop Horizontal

Asante Samuel may be a good fit for the Saints

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Asante Samuel is scheduled to make over $8 million next year with the Philadelphia Eagles. Prior to last season he was reportedly being shopped for a pair of second round draft picks. Since the Eagles already have Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie ...

Like Tree5Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Who Dat Writer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 241
Asante Samuel may be a good fit for the Saints

Asante Samuel is scheduled to make over $8 million next year with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Prior to last season he was reportedly being shopped for a pair of second round draft picks.

Since the Eagles already have Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie and Samuel is 31 years old, it's expected they won't retain him.

If Samuel hits the market, I believe the Saints should take a close look at him and possibly make a trade.


Could the New Orleans Saints trade for Eagles CB Asante Samuel?
BGWhoDat is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Got a problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,403
Financially he'd be a terrible fit... especially at this point in time.
SapperSaint and BGWhoDat like this.
papz is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Who Dat Writer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 241
If the New Orleans Saints cut DE Will Smith and MLB Jonathan Vilma before the 15th day of the league year, the Saints would free up $11.35 million dollars in salary cap space.

At the age of 31, he could negotiate a price that could make it an option for the Saints to afford him if he is willing to restructure after the trade. If not, if we free up some cap space depending on how the negotiations go with our top three and who we lose, it might be worth the money.
BGWhoDat is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Katy, Tx a suburb of Houston
Posts: 1,966
Both Will Smith and Jonathan Vilma will have to restructure true, but I don't see either one getting cut this season. Here are the some good reasons why you may still see them in the black and gold sorry to kill it for you!!!

Vilma:

1. The main reason Vilma will stick around is Joe Vitt!! Vitt loves Vilma, and Shanle for that matter as long as Shawn isn't changing assistant head coaches I think Vilma who isn't the worst of the linebackers gets a chance to fully recover from the knee issues that were bothering him last season.

2. His pay directly counts against the cap. Whomever you bring in at the Linebacker is in addition to what Vilma is making. Say you wave Vilma and bring in (my favorite) D,Qwell Jackson ( franchise tag) you will have to pay the franchise tag penalty what ever picks that would be and that players salary, and Vilma's. Way to expensive if you ask me. But they do if they are desperate for change. I don't think we are at that point yet!!!

Smith:

1. Will's making to much, we all know that but in a Spags defense you know what's a comodity!!! Defensive Ends!!!! You can't have enough of good DE's. So I think you'll see him take a pay cut, yes, but I don't see him leaving? Nope

2. Experience

Romeus - no field time
Jordan - 1 year experience
Mcbride - leaving
Drafted Rookie - no NFL field time
Trust me you need Will Smith's leadership right now!!!!
Danno and QBREES9 like this.
alleycat_126 is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,224
Originally Posted by alleycat_126 View Post
Both Will Smith and Jonathan Vilma will have to restructure true, but I don't see either one getting cut this season. Here are the some good reasons why you may still see them in the black and gold sorry to kill it for you!!!

Vilma:

1. The main reason Vilma will stick around is Joe Vitt!! Vitt loves Vilma, and Shanle for that matter as long as Shawn isn't changing assistant head coaches I think Vilma who isn't the worst of the linebackers gets a chance to fully recover from the knee issues that were bothering him last season.

2. His pay directly counts against the cap. Whomever you bring in at the Linebacker is in addition to what Vilma is making. Say you wave Vilma and bring in (my favorite) D,Qwell Jackson ( franchise tag) you will have to pay the franchise tag penalty what ever picks that would be and that players salary, and Vilma's. Way to expensive if you ask me. But they do if they are desperate for change. I don't think we are at that point yet!!!

Smith:

1. Will's making to much, we all know that but in a Spags defense you know what's a comodity!!! Defensive Ends!!!! You can't have enough of good DE's. So I think you'll see him take a pay cut, yes, but I don't see him leaving? Nope

2. Experience

Romeus - no field time
Jordan - 1 year experience
Mcbride - leaving
Drafted Rookie - no NFL field time
Trust me you need Will Smith's leadership right now!!!!

Agree except I think McBride stays for the same reason you mentioned concerning Spagnoulo. McBride is still young at 26 and he's cheap.
Danno is online now  
Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,520
For Vilmas and Smiths production last year {keep in mind it was their 3rd season in GW's system and got worse, not better} they need to go, if they are the ones teaching {captains} our younger guys, I'll take my chances with somebody else. And Vitt might have eat to many Vikes. and his judgement is imparred if he thinks those 2 are doing their job. Ellis also.
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Who Dat Writer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 241
I understand your points, but:

Vilma: I think we can agree on the Saints not bringing in a D'Qwell Jackson (who will be tagged) that's a given. But if the Saints have a chance at someone paid like Vilma, younger, more productive, why wouldn't they? The franchise needs to put theirselves in a position to win. As much as Vitt may like him, it still doesn't mean he won't leave.

Smith: Smith will leave if he doesn't take a pay cut. His productivity isn't worth it. In 2011 he was the highest paid player on the roster. So there's a legit chance he could leave. Spag may want to keep him but I bet not at the price tag he has.

As far as Samuel goes, do I think he would be a good fit? Yes. Do I think that it's a possibility? Sure. GM's look at all possibilities.

I simply stated of ways (such as cutting Smith and Vilma, that figure was from ESPN.com report) for it to happen.

They aren't likely to get a top dollar cornerback via FA, but as a writer we have to look at all possibilities and give people things to think about. It was an interesting article and there's always possibilities it could happen but in all likelihood it won't.
BGWhoDat is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Katy, Tx a suburb of Houston
Posts: 1,966
Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
For Vilmas and Smiths production last year {keep in mind it was their 3rd season in GW's system and got worse, not better} they need to go, if they are the ones teaching {captains} our younger guys, I'll take my chances with somebody else. And Vitt might have eat to many Vikes. and his judgement is imparred if he thinks those 2 are doing their job. Ellis also.
How easily we forget, one down year does not kill a career's worth of production grasshopper. Vilma is a terrific linebacker, one of the smartest linebackers in the league. He had a down year coming off of a knee injury and was still in and out of the line up when he was in. BTW the people we picked up to protect our linebacking core Rodgers, Franklin did not pan out. Rodgers won't be back, Franklin may get another shot, but it's unlikely. Shanle on the other hand, should have been released when Fujita left.

Will Smith has been a mainstay on that D line almost since SP got here and as long as he is willing to take a cut he ain't going nowhere. I do see youth taking over in 2012-2013 with players like Romeus, Jordan, Wilson but you just can't disreguard a player like Smith.
alleycat_126 is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Who Dat Writer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 241
It doesn't change the fact that the Saints were better with Dunbar filling in than with Vilma playing. Could he be better after he heals? Sure. But it's not for certain so the Saints may think of replacing him. Vilma won't be a backup, so they may go younger and replace him. Even if it means resigning Dunbar to fill that role. Shanle will be a Saint. On top of Vitt liking him, Spagnuolo tried to get him from the Saints (last year I believe).. So he likely will stay.

There's far better DE's out there in the league for the price Smith gets. It's either restructure or cut. The Saints are tight on money and they can't afford to pay him the way his contract is without being a Pro Bowl type DE.
BGWhoDat is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,520
Originally Posted by alleycat_126 View Post
How easily we forget, one down year does not kill a career's worth of production grasshopper. Vilma is a terrific linebacker, one of the smartest linebackers in the league. He had a down year coming off of a knee injury and was still in and out of the line up when he was in. BTW the people we picked up to protect our linebacking core Rodgers, Franklin did not pan out. Rodgers won't be back, Franklin may get another shot, but it's unlikely. Shanle on the other hand, should have been released when Fujita left.

Will Smith has been a mainstay on that D line almost since SP got here and as long as he is willing to take a cut he ain't going nowhere. I do see youth taking over in 2012-2013 with players like Romeus, Jordan, Wilson but you just can't disreguard a player like Smith.
This grasshopper would still take his chances on more productive players, Vilmas done he comes out of the gate strong but all the other horses seem to just pass him by{Dunbar}. Smith for that production for that money someone could come in and actually produce. Try the last 2 years as far as production goes for Vilma not just 1. Grasshopper has spoken my son!!
BGWhoDat likes this.
halloween 65 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/41302-asante-samuel-may-good-fit-saints.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Asante Samuel may be a good fit for the Saints This thread Refback 02-17-2012 02:24 PM 6


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts