Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL
Shop Horizontal

Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Originally Posted by Danno From the Urban Dictionary... Since when do we count the urban dictionary as anything relevant? Slang talk does not belong in a dictionary. Whatever the case, as I said to Oak, he used that term and ...

Like Tree2Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,038
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
From the Urban Dictionary...
Since when do we count the urban dictionary as anything relevant? Slang talk does not belong in a dictionary. Whatever the case, as I said to Oak, he used that term and his entire rant to insinuate that Griffin isn't a real black man. It's not a matter of racism, it's just plain stupid. You're now suppoed to act like everyone else to be real? Rob Parker got what he deserved.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,038
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
If "stupid" comments got people fired we wouldn't be dealing with Goodell. This had nothing to do with stupidity, and had everything to do with political correctness. I seriously doubt Robert Griffin III was offended, he probably laughed it off as Parker just being an ignorant arse. Griffin is smart enough to not be offended. So.... If the bearer of the stupidity is not offended then the only reason Parker was fired was to be PC.


Should I be offended that you called me dude?
Urban Dictionary: dude
Dude - A word that americans use to address each other. Particularly stoners, surfers and skaters.

Now if you were banned for a week it would not be because you said anything offensive but because someone thought it PC.
Goodell isn't in a position to be fired. He's doing what the owners evidently want. Rob Parker made a total fool of himself by questioning someone's "realness" based upon nothing substantive. He rambled on and on. You know what gets people fired? Being incredibly unprofessional. That's what happened. But you seem to be missing my point. I'm not even explaining why I think he got fired, I'm simply stating the obvious. Rob Parker is an idiot, and he proved that point with these comments.

Update- (since you edited during my reply)

Your analogy to the word "dude" was just ridiculous. You have got to be kidding me, Oak. What the hell kind of comparison is "dude" to "Robert ain't one of us, cause he talk like a white man", or whatever his exact words were? If someone got offended by the word dude, then that would be pathetic, now wouldn't it? But I'm not talking about a word. I'm talking about a 5 minute rant about how Robert isn't black enough. That is just stupid. Excuse me, but I frankly don't give a rats a** if you think that wasn't a justifiable reason for being fired. It doesn't make him any less of a fool.

I don't remember anyone saying anything like he did, and NOT get fired.
Crusader likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,696
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Goodell isn't in a position to be fired. He's doing what the owners evidently want. Rob Parker made a total fool of himself by questioning someone's "realness" based upon nothing substantive. He rambled on and on. You know what gets people fired? Being incredibly unprofessional. That's what happened. But you seem to be missing my point. I'm not even explaining why I think he got fired, I'm simply stating the obvious. Rob Parker is an idiot, and he proved that point with these comments.
Rob Parker was incredibly unprofessional and an idiot before December 13th 2012. It didnt get him fired then and it wasnt the reason he was fired.


"On December 21, 2008, at a press conference following the Lions' 427 loss to the New Orleans Saints, during the Detroit Lions historic 0-16 season, Rob Parker caused controversy when he addressed a question at Lions head coach Rod Marinelli about Lions defensive coordinator Joe Barry, Marinelli's son-in-law, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator."[8] The question was criticized as unprofessional and inappropriate. The next day, Parker wrote that the comment was "an attempt at humor" and not a malicious attack.[9] Parker wrote no further columns forThe Detroit News, nor did he attend any press conferences, following the incident. On January 6, 2009, The Detroit News announced that Parker had resigned from the newspaper the previous week.[10]"
Rob Parker (sports journalist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was fired to be PC, not out of his ignorance, stupidity, or unprofessionalism. The fact that ESPN hired him was incredibly stupid and unprofessional.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
TheOak is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,447
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Since when do we count the urban dictionary as anything relevant? Slang talk does not belong in a dictionary. Whatever the case, as I said to Oak, he used that term and his entire rant to insinuate that Griffin isn't a real black man. It's not a matter of racism, it's just plain stupid. You're now suppoed to act like everyone else to be real? Rob Parker got what he deserved.
I didn't claim it was relevant. I thouht it was funny and hit on some valid points.

If the shoe was on the other foot and he claimed a white guy was acting too black, he'd be deported, after being tarred and featherd.

He deserved to be fired.
Danno is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,038
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Rob Parker was incredibly unprofessional and an idiot before December 13th 2012. It didnt get him fired then and it wasnt the reason he was fired.


"On December 21, 2008, at a press conference following the Lions' 427 loss to the New Orleans Saints, during the Detroit Lions historic 0-16 season, Rob Parker caused controversy when he addressed a question at Lions head coach Rod Marinelli about Lions defensive coordinator Joe Barry, Marinelli's son-in-law, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator."[8] The question was criticized as unprofessional and inappropriate. The next day, Parker wrote that the comment was "an attempt at humor" and not a malicious attack.[9] Parker wrote no further columns forThe Detroit News, nor did he attend any press conferences, following the incident. On January 6, 2009, The Detroit News announced that Parker had resigned from the newspaper the previous week.[10]"
Rob Parker (sports journalist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was fired to be PC, not out of his ignorance, stupidity, or unprofessionalism. The fact that ESPN hired him was incredibly stupid and unprofessional.
How is it that you believe he wasn't fired from his previous job for what you just quoted? He says those things, then never writes for them again, and eventually resigns. Sounds like he was asked to resign, and I can't imagine it was for any other reason. So you're not making any sense there.

As for ESPN hiring him, I said earlier in this thread that they were stupid for hiring him. Of course they were stupid. Apparently they didn't think he would say something so moronic again. But he did, and now he got canned. End of story.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,038
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I didn't claim it was relevant. I thouht it was funny and hit on some valid points.

If the shoe was on the other foot and he claimed a white guy was acting too black, he'd be deported, after being tarred and featherd.

He deserved to be fired.
Well, I wasn't quite sure what your angle was there. But yes, he indeed deserved to be fired.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,696
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Well, I wasn't quite sure what your angle was there. But yes, he indeed deserved to be fired.
Yes. But no more than Peter King, Pat Yasinskas, or John Clayton.

Idiocracy and lack of professionalism do not get you fired in the world of Sports Entertainment.

Not being politically correct will get you shown the door in a heartbeat.
TheOak is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,038
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Yes. But no more than Peter King, Pat Yasinskas, or John Clayton.

Idiocracy and lack of professionalism do not get you fired in the world of Sports Entertainment.

Not being politically correct will get you shown the door in a heartbeat.
I see that you don't want to give it up, nor have you attempted you explain yourself for that "dude" analogy you tried to shove on me.

You have just given another bad example. Pat Yasinskas, Peter King and John Clayton are all annoying, and say things we might whole heartedly disagree with, and I certainly don't like any of them, but they at least have enough professionalism to state their opinions without calling people names, or questioning the validity of their race. You are allowed to say things that might not make a lot of sense, if you can at least make a level headed attempt to explain yourself. What Rob Parker was talking about, had nothing to do with football. It had nothing to do with anything.

I can't recall anything like this being said by any of those guys you mentioned.

Being politically incorrect WILL get you fired, yes. As I said earlier, I hate political correctness. But I also said that this went beyond PC. I say he deserved what he got, because he made a fool of himself.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,038
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

If you want to bash a guy like a Ryan Leaf, Cam Newton, Terrel Owens, or any of the countless number of premodonna's for being exactly that, then that's fine. I do it. You can question a man's integrity if he's behaving like a selfish, spoiled brat as so many players do. But don't try to "figure out" if he's black or white. He is what he is, period. I'm not a fan, per se', of RG3 but he seems like a pretty level headed guy, and he's a good player. There was no reason to call him out like that.
Crusader likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 18,222
Re: Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments

Who is Rob Parker anyway. Why do we care about what he as to say. Clearly he did thing before he opened his mouth. Think before you speak.

I wish Robert Griffin III a speedy recovery.
QBREES9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/54436-rob-parker-out-espn-robert-griffin-iii-comments.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Rob Parker out at ESPN for Robert Griffin III comments This thread Refback 01-09-2013 04:16 AM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts