Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL
Shop Horizontal

Nnamdi Asomugha (All in one)

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Originally Posted by alexonfyre This statement is patently false.[/url] “Nnamdi Asomugha ate lunch in his car during practices instead of eating with his teammates last season, WIP Radio in Philadelphia reported Tuesday. WIP Radio’s Hollis Thomas, who played for the ...

Like Tree252Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #461
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,643
Blog Entries: 12
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

Originally Posted by alexonfyre View Post
This statement is patently false.[/url]
“Nnamdi Asomugha ate lunch in his car during practices instead of eating with his teammates last season, WIP Radio in Philadelphia reported Tuesday. WIP Radio’s Hollis Thomas, who played for the Eagles from 1996 to 2005, reported the information, citing unnamed sources, who told Thomas that Asomugha chose to eat in his car in order to secure some “me time” during the season.”

Philly fingers start to point at Asomugha | ProFootballTalk

Eagles' Nnamdi Asomugha questions defensive coordinator's decision-making in loss | NJ.com

Asomugha Blames Timezone > “Here, things aren’t as familiar,” Asomugha said, via CSN Bay Area. “The biggest reason is because when I got here, we went straight into football. I didn’t get here in March, so I didn’t have months to get acclimated. It’s the end of September and I’m still getting acclimated to the area and just using my down time to familiarize myself with the East Coast and with football out here.”

Philadelphia Eagles: Nnamdi Asomugha reflects on the team’s defensive performance - The Times Herald

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Keenan Lewis is a nice pickup, but I don't know where you're getting the information that he was the highest performing cornerback.
NFL Stats, factor in Passes Defensed, Passes Deflected, QB Rating v. Throws to CB coverage, QB Yds/Completion v. CB Coverage, Tackles; the only category that he lacked in was interceptions, but this was his first season where he was a starter...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
You brought up players we over paid for. That's cool, I didn't say we never made a bad deal. We had money to give then. The reason I say you can rest assured we will NOT over pay for Nnamdi, is because it is simply impossible right now.
Burn, look how much money has been rolled forward or converted to sign players when we were over the salary cap - I just don't won't to borrow money for a lemon that, if it doesn't run, we won't even have the money to fix it...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Also, I'm aware that we would get little savings from releasing Greer or Robinson. The only way to save is to somehow find a trade partner.
We would save by meeting a need (i.e. DE, OLB, LT) and sending on of those players in trade compensation...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I brought up our safeties because they present the same problem. You're saying we should pursue Huff, but that would mean dealing with the financial burden of getting rid of one of our safeties...
There'd be little in savings (rookie contract) for Jenkins, who I feel is miscast as Free Safety and would be a better Cornerback or Strong Safety; I'd prefer to keep him...

Now Harper, if released, would result in a total of ~3.5mil (1.75 per year) in dead cap money over the next two years, that is significant dead money, but it is also significant available money to sign another player...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Now don't misunderstand, I would like an upgrade and Huff could be a nice addition. But he is likely gong to command more than the Saints can give.
Bring him in and ask him; show interest...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
We're either going to roll with the safeties we have, and bear with it...
New Orleans Saints set record: Worst defense in NFL history - Las Vegas Sports | Examiner.com

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
While Huff might be a nice upgrade, I do strongly disagree that he would give us a Darren Sharper type of impact. He has never been close to that kind of player before.
Huff actually shifted to cornerback as the Raiders suffered injuries early on and transitioned into a very good cornerback; That selflessness jumps out at me. That and the fact that as a Safety, he can acutally cover someone, which is the primary nature of a Safety, Defensive Back in today's game.

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
If you don't want Nnamdi, that's ok. But I'm not really buying into the argument against him.
It's all good brother...

In my vocation, when I have call-outs in my business and I have to wait in the office for customers, all hours of the day/night -I pass and enjoy time with discussion about sports...

And with the Saints, who like all of us are passionate - have seen this story before and I'm cautious of signing Asomugha, coming out of a damaged goods situation by some of his reactions when faced with adversity...

I just cited some sources so others can understand my position on signing Asomugha when I believe we should think out of the box and look at other options...

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock
jeanpierre is offline  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #462
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,092
Blog Entries: 2
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
“Nnamdi Asomugha ate lunch in his car during practices instead of eating with his teammates last season, WIP Radio in Philadelphia reported Tuesday. WIP Radio’s Hollis Thomas, who played for the Eagles from 1996 to 2005, reported the information, citing unnamed sources, who told Thomas that Asomugha chose to eat in his car in order to secure some “me time” during the season.”

Philly fingers start to point at Asomugha | ProFootballTalk

Eagles' Nnamdi Asomugha questions defensive coordinator's decision-making in loss | NJ.com

Asomugha Blames Timezone > “Here, things aren’t as familiar,” Asomugha said, via CSN Bay Area. “The biggest reason is because when I got here, we went straight into football. I didn’t get here in March, so I didn’t have months to get acclimated. It’s the end of September and I’m still getting acclimated to the area and just using my down time to familiarize myself with the East Coast and with football out here.”

Philadelphia Eagles: Nnamdi Asomugha reflects on the team’s defensive performance - The Times Herald



NFL Stats, factor in Passes Defensed, Passes Deflected, QB Rating v. Throws to CB coverage, QB Yds/Completion v. CB Coverage, Tackles; the only category that he lacked in was interceptions, but this was his first season where he was a starter...



Burn, look how much money has been rolled forward or converted to sign players when we were over the salary cap - I just don't won't to borrow money for a lemon that, if it doesn't run, we won't even have the money to fix it...



We would save by meeting a need (i.e. DE, OLB, LT) and sending on of those players in trade compensation...



There'd be little in savings (rookie contract) for Jenkins, who I feel is miscast as Free Safety and would be a better Cornerback or Strong Safety; I'd prefer to keep him...

Now Harper, if released, would result in a total of ~3.5mil (1.75 per year) in dead cap money over the next two years, that is significant dead money, but it is also significant available money to sign another player...



Bring him in and ask him; show interest...



New Orleans Saints set record: Worst defense in NFL history - Las Vegas Sports | Examiner.com



Huff actually shifted to cornerback as the Raiders suffered injuries early on and transitioned into a very good cornerback; That selflessness jumps out at me. That and the fact that as a Safety, he can acutally cover someone, which is the primary nature of a Safety, Defensive Back in today's game.



It's all good brother...

In my vocation, when I have call-outs in my business and I have to wait in the office for customers, all hours of the day/night -I pass and enjoy time with discussion about sports...

And with the Saints, who like all of us are passionate - have seen this story before and I'm cautious of signing Asomugha, coming out of a damaged goods situation by some of his reactions when faced with adversity...

I just cited some sources so others can understand my position on signing Asomugha when I believe we should think out of the box and look at other options...
Well, first, you made my point by saying we wouldn't save much by letting Jenkins go. That was precisely my point, JP. you want us to go after Huff, but we would have to get rid of someone. I don't think Jenkins will ever move back to corner, unless it's as a nickelback, maybe. But even if he does move back there, then we surely have to cut one of our corners. Personally, I think one of either Greer or Robinson is going to go if we sign Asomugha, and I'm ok with that. But since you're main concern is how do we deal with these contracts, I'm simply telling you that it's going to be an issue no matter what.

I'm fine with getting Huff, if it came down to that, but he's no Darren Sharper in my opinion. I'm not arguing with you that he's better than what we have. I still maintain that we can't afford him. You're telling me that they should bring him in and ask him, but I feel very confident that the Saints have contacted his agent by now, and they probably already know what he's asking for.

I don't know why you gave me an article about how bad our defense was. I know this. I said we either roll with the safeties we have (meaning it might be financially necessary) or we might draft a safety. We have a lot of holes to fill on defense, and unfortunately it's not all going to be fixed at once.

You somewhat repeated my point when you said we could save by acquiring a need in sending one of our corners as compensation. I agree with this, and that's why I said the only way to save is to find a trade partner. But who is going to give us anything more than maybe a late round pick for these vastly under performing players?

This is why I say the Saints can't overpay for anyone they sign right now. Because we're going to be eating some dead money as it is, and we can't simply continue to backload contracts. We've done that before, as you've mentioned, and look where it has put us. Asomugha is not at the age where he would be offered such a deal. If he were a quarterback, sure, but he isn't.

The last thing I want to say is that I don't read much into tabloid-style information about Nnamdi not eating with his teammates. Maybe he felt like the others didn't care enough on the field and he just didn't want to be around them? Or maybe, he just likes to eat alone perhaps? I can't believe anyone would buy into that story as being important. And with Hollis Thomas (who never played with him) citing unnamed sources, there isn't much reason to even believe the story is true.

We'll see what happens, though.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #463
100th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 487
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

Nnamdi was out of position in Philly this is a true press corner and Philly with that wide whateva Defense you call it had him in space; Yo when you lock up MegaTron than that's saying something.
BIGEASY504 is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #464
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,643
Blog Entries: 12
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Well, first, you made my point by saying we wouldn't save much by letting Jenkins go. That was precisely my point, JP. you want us to go after Huff, but we would have to get rid of someone. I don't think Jenkins will ever move back to corner, unless it's as a nickelback, maybe. But even if he does move back there, then we surely have to cut one of our corners. Personally, I think one of either Greer or Robinson is going to go if we sign Asomugha, and I'm ok with that. But since you're main concern is how do we deal with these contracts, I'm simply telling you that it's going to be an issue no matter what.
Burn, Good Discussion and Discourse...

I'd like to see Huff at Free Safety and Jenkins at Strong Safety; Harper and his bloated salary and inablility to cover would be gone with only 3.5mil in dead cap space spread over two years...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I'm fine with getting Huff, if it came down to that, but he's no Darren Sharper in my opinion. I'm not arguing with you that he's better than what we have. I still maintain that we can't afford him. You're telling me that they should bring him in and ask him, but I feel very confident that the Saints have contacted his agent by now, and they probably already know what he's asking for.
Mike Florio would have have blasted market price if it out there if that were the case - I'd just like the Saints to bring him in...

No one ever really had a season like Sharper; but the other things he brought is the impact that Huff most assuredly has the skill set to offer...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I don't know why you gave me an article about how bad our defense was. I know this. I said we either roll with the safeties we have (meaning it might be financially necessary) or we might draft a safety. We have a lot of holes to fill on defense, and unfortunately it's not all going to be fixed at once.
Right, because rolling with what we got is going to land us back at No. 32 in defense; just wanted to emphasize and glad we agree that status quo is totally unacceptable and changes must be made...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
You somewhat repeated my point when you said we could save by acquiring a need in sending one of our corners as compensation. I agree with this, and that's why I said the only way to save is to find a trade partner. But who is going to give us anything more than maybe a late round pick for these vastly under performing players?
Greer would be excellent value and is in an affordable contract, even if it is guaranteed...

And there maybe teams that feel they can do what the Saints have not been able to do - develop defensive backs, especially in the case of Robinson...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
This is why I say the Saints can't overpay for anyone they sign right now. Because we're going to be eating some dead money as it is, and we can't simply continue to backload contracts. We've done that before, as you've mentioned, and look where it has put us.
Exactly and signing Huff would give us a core player in the secondary to build around for years to come - a quarterback on defense...

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
The last thing I want to say is that I don't read much into tabloid-style information about Nnamdi not eating with his teammates. Maybe he felt like the others didn't care enough on the field and he just didn't want to be around them? Or maybe, he just likes to eat alone perhaps? I can't believe anyone would buy into that story as being important. And with Hollis Thomas (who never played with him) citing unnamed sources, there isn't much reason to even believe the story is true.

We'll see what happens, though.
Burn, The Hollis Story that you refer to as tabloid would be the equivalent of SportsTalk with Bobby Hebert & Deke Bellavia - if that show were to come out with a story that Garrett Hartley wears Goat Pants at a Midnight Supper Club - you know you're going to take another look...at the story...

One could even argue that ESPN has done the tabloid taint on the sports world...

The more troubling article I'd call to your attention was him blasting his defensive coordinator in the newspaper; it's been suggested in discussions here that that's why Johnny Patrick is gone...

Would we want to bring in someone who's a history of the same thing...

Don't want a player crying in the newspapers and a cited a source showing that very thing in a mainstream Philadelphia publication is not a good thing...

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #465
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,407
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

Right, because rolling with what we got is going to land us back at No. 32 in defense; just wanted to emphasize and glad we agree that status quo is totally unacceptable and changes must be made...
I think we've already made enough changes to avoid landing back at 32, and we've certainly not settled for status quo.
FinSaint likes this.
Danno is online now  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #466
100th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 466
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
The more troubling article I'd call to your attention was him blasting his defensive coordinator in the newspaper; it's been suggested in discussions here that that's why Johnny Patrick is gone...

Would we want to bring in someone who's a history of the same thing...

Don't want a player crying in the newspapers and a cited a source showing that very thing in a mainstream Philadelphia publication is not a good thing...
I get what you're saying but that has to be the only time I've ever heard him publicly call out a coach. And for that I don't blame him....the guy had a DC that had done no defensive coaching ever in his career and wasn't putting him or anyone else on that defense in a position to do well. Pretty sure I can forgive that. He never said anything of the sort in Oakland. And you're dealing with Philly media now....they make mountains out of mole hills.

People really gotta stop making it seem like just because he ate in his car and talked a couple of times about the DC to the media that he's this loudmouth malcontent. He's never been that. Always been a stand up guy. Even stand up guys, when put in a bad situation, can get frustrated and do things out of the norm. The last 2 season with the Eagles were clearly not a working or social enviroment he was used to. Pretty sure coming back to a coach who knows you like the back of his hand and will put you in the best position to do well won't have him complaining to the media in NOLA.


And NOBODY knows why Johnny Patrick got released. Maybe its the simple fact he'd pretty much gotten passed up on the depth chart by rookies and FAs that came in, and his poor performance........you know ACTUAL valid reasons for cutting someone. Everyone assumes it was Patrick.....nobody ever assumed it was the one guy that Spags benched halfway through the season in Shanle?
NuNu318 is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #467
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,643
Blog Entries: 12
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

Originally Posted by NuNu318 View Post
I get what you're saying but that has to be the only time I've ever heard him publicly call out a coach. And for that I don't blame him....the guy had a DC that had done no defensive coaching ever in his career and wasn't putting him or anyone else on that defense in a position to do well. Pretty sure I can forgive that. He never said anything of the sort in Oakland. And you're dealing with Philly media now....they make mountains out of mole hills.
You don't air your laundry in public...ever.
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #468
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: in line with my ridiculous CLEAR PLASTIC BAG
Posts: 2,763
Blog Entries: 3
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

You know, if Rob Ryan really likes the guy, loves him, all he really needs to do is just blow some smoke, create a bidding war, and help Nnamdi get more from the 49ers, drive up the price and make the 49ers pay more for his services. It is a business after all, a business where people make friendships. I can kinda see a scenario where the Saints say ALL the right things, "reportedly are making a big push for him," Ryan really wants him, Payton says he's an elite talent, whipping the fan base into a frenzy, etc. etc. all to make the 49ers sweat a little more.

Then when Nnamdi's agent writes an obscenely high number on a napkin and slides it across the table at the restaurant at lunch, Loomis and company fold and say "too much money, we pass." Then the agent goes back to San Francisco and says, "they turned down our offer, but are still interested in him, they really want him -- but you can have him signed today, for X amount more than your first offer."

Then Ryan wishes Nnamdi "all the best" in the media and the two eventually retire as very rich men and see each other a few times a season. It's not outside the realm of possibility that a lot of this is just smoke.
jeanpierre likes this.
SaintsBro is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #469
100th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 466
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
You don't air your laundry in public...ever.
But does one instance of doing that with another team automatically make you off limits? You act like we didn't have guys come in and be productive that had a much bigger problem keeping their mouth shut (i.e. Shockey). And he kep fairly quiet while he was here. Reggie sometimes spoke out of turn. They were both good enough to stay here for a good amount of time and help bring us a championship.

I'm not going to put a stigma on a guy who did something like that one time with one team. Especially when he doesn't have a history of doing that his whole career. I just feel that people need to look at it realistically. Speaking to the media 1-2 times about something going on within the team shouldn't automatically mean you're not a team player or you should get a pink slip or never be put on another team again.

I honestly don't have a problem with him saying anything to the media about his DC. Why? Because:

1. It was and instance where he had valid reason to question the ability of a DC thats never coached defense in his career.

2. He was in a lockeroom where the culture doesn't dictate that you keep your mouth shut to the media. He was in Philly where you can claim you're a dynasty and a dream team before you even step foot on the field as a team. Different teams have different lockeroom cultures....and clearly Philly didn't have the same philosophy as the Saints......Shockey sure didn't have that type of culture while he was with the Giants....didn't stop him from falling in line when he came here.

3. And the most important reason IDGAF about him talking to the media in Philly......At least he put his name on it....as opposed to cowards who don't.
NuNu318 is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #470
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 936
Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha

The fact that he hasnt made up his mind yet makes me not want him here. Is Harbaugh that tempting? Then go play for his a@@ Nnamdi is already showing that he wants a shortcut to a title(SF), which never happens.
WillSaints81 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/56240-nnamdi-asomugha-all-one.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest NFL News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 03-27-2013 06:05 PM 1
Nnamdi Asomugha (All in one) This thread Refback 03-27-2013 09:18 AM 252
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 03-16-2013 02:57 PM 13
Rob Ryan is reportedly making a big push for the Saints to land Nnamdi Asomugha This thread Refback 03-16-2013 02:41 PM 368
The Latest Victor Butler News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 03-15-2013 06:37 PM 7
The Latest Nnamdi Asomugha News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 03-15-2013 05:07 PM 9


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts