Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL
Shop Horizontal

McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Originally Posted by rezburna Hold on Oak, I'm lost right now. Lol. I think Stafford deserved the contract and McNabb just sounds like a hater. Are you saying they're taking money away from Stafford? Stafford's extension was not given to ...

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #31
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
Hold on Oak, I'm lost right now. Lol.

I think Stafford deserved the contract and McNabb just sounds like a hater.

Are you saying they're taking money away from Stafford?
Stafford's extension was not given to him because he did or didn't deserve it..... It was given to him because the Lions needed cap relief.
TheOak is offline  
Latest Blogs
MID TERM ELECTION Last Blog: 10-29-2014 By: teddybarexxx


2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #32
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

Stafford pay 2013 under rookie contract: 12.5M salary + 4.6 misc bonuses = 17.4M
Stafford pay for 2013 under contract extension: 4M salary + 8.3 misc bonus = 12.3M
5.1 M loss


Stafford pay 2014 under rookie contract: 11M salary + 4.8 misc bonuses = 15.8M
Stafford pay for 2014 under contract extension: 2M salary + 8 misc bonus = 10M

5.8M loss

Stafford pay 2015 under rookie contract: 15M salary + 2.2 misc bonuses = 17.2M
Stafford pay for 2015 under contract extension: 9.5 salary + 2.2 misc bonus = 11.7M

5.5M loss


17M value was lost from his original contract between 2013-2015

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246
TheOak is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #33
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,569
Blog Entries: 15
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Stafford pay 2013 under rookie contract: 12.5M salary + 4.6 misc bonuses = 17.4M
Stafford pay for 2013 under contract extension: 4M salary + 8.3 misc bonus = 12.3M
5.1 M loss


Stafford pay 2014 under rookie contract: 11M salary + 4.8 misc bonuses = 15.8M
Stafford pay for 2014 under contract extension: 2M salary + 8 misc bonus = 10M

5.8M loss

Stafford pay 2015 under rookie contract: 15M salary + 2.2 misc bonuses = 17.2M
Stafford pay for 2015 under contract extension: 9.5 salary + 2.2 misc bonus = 11.7M

5.5M loss


17M value was lost from his original contract between 2013-2015
Yeah, but that's hypothetical money that was recouped under the $27.5mil signing bonus, IMO anyway ... plus he gets another 3yrs in Detroit, which you really can't place a monetary value on, .

These contracts make my head hurt ...
SloMotion is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #34
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 3,434
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

Well at least he is better value than Flacco.Be interesting to see what numbers Ryan is looking for.The cap will need to rise soon with every QB wanting $15-22ml average.
lee909 is online now  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #35
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
Yeah, but that's hypothetical money that was recouped under the $27.5mil signing bonus, IMO anyway ... plus he gets another 3yrs in Detroit, which you really can't place a monetary value on, .

These contracts make my head hurt ...
It's not hypo money, that is real contracted money. You can not count contracted money as hypo unless its based on a requirement other than showing up. His bonuses are counted against this and the cap because they are all "expected to be earned".

I need you to follow this till the end.

With what people think of his skill set and character. Had he finished this contract out, what do you think his 2016 contract would look like? If the 2016 contract "would" look just like this new restructure then the below is true.... If he had winning seasons it would go up.


Combined value of both original contracts is 147.5M if played out.

What he ends up with after the restructure and he plays out the new contract is 115.5M at the end.


The contracting game can be played both ways, and teams usually structure it to get the player to go in the direction they WANT him to go in.

Bree's will be restructured... You think that wont be at a loss somewhere?

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246
TheOak is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #36
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

If for ANY reason Stafford's contract is terminated this year it's 60M in dead money.
TheOak is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #37
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,569
Blog Entries: 15
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
It's not hypo money, that is real contracted money. You can not count contracted money as hypo unless its based on a requirement other than showing up. His bonuses are counted against this and the cap because they are all "expected to be earned".

I need you to follow this till the end.

With what people think of his skill set and character. Had he finished this contract out, what do you think his 2016 contract would look like? If the 2016 contract "would" look just like this new restructure then the below is true.... If he had winning seasons it would go up.


Combined value of both original contracts is 147.5M if played out.

What he ends up with after the restructure and he plays out the new contract is 115.5M at the end.


The contracting game can be played both ways, and teams usually structure it to get the player to go in the direction they WANT him to go in.

Bree's will be restructured... You think that wont be at a loss somewhere?
It's hypothetical because the last two years of that contract were never realized, nor were they intended to be realized. Anything Stafford loses by restructuring his contract to be more cap friendly appears to have been covered by the signing bonus, IMO.

I don't think for one minute his agent, Tom Condon (who has a reputation in these matters), would allow one of his clients to restructure a contract at a loss of $32mil, do you?
SloMotion is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #38
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

It happened.

Condon lost nothing he was paid his %of the first contract and the restructure doesn't change that. Condon doesn't lose .01 if Stafford joins the Taliban tomorrow.

Think about what you just said, Condon wouldn't let him lose money but Condon would let him sign a contract where 2 years of it were moot.... Why?

If you think those last two years are hypo, let that contract stand and Stafford pull a Hernandez next season, lets see of the league considers that dead money hypothetical.

Last edited by TheOak; 07-14-2013 at 01:32 PM..
TheOak is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #39
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,569
Blog Entries: 15
Re: McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
It happened.

Condon lost nothing he was paid his %of the first contract and the restructure doesn't change that. Condon doesn't lose .01 if Stafford joins the Taliban tomorrow.

Think about what you just said, Condon wouldn't let him lose money but Condon would let him sign a contract where 2 years of it were moot.... Why?

If you think those last two years are hypo, let that contract stand and Stafford pull a Hernandez next season, lets see of the league considers that dead money hypothetical.
I don't think it did. Professional contracts are a shell game ... now-you-see-it, now-you-don't. Doesn't mean it's not there. Condon wouldn't be a top NFL agent if he was in the habit of making those kind of deals. This is my logic:

- Stafford started out with approx. 6yrs/72mil (42mil guaranteed).

- In year 4, he restructures, foregoing years 5 & 6 of approx. 20mil each, but he is guaranteed 42mil of that contract, so he only didn't realize approx. 30mil of his original contract, not 40mil as it would appear by factoring his year 5 & 6 salaries.

- He is paid a 29mil signing bonus (approx). That covers approx. the 30mil he did not realize in years 5 & 6 of his first contract.

- His new contract is 5yrs/76mil (42mil guaranteed), which is better than 6yrs/72mil, more cap friendly at approx. 15mil a season for the length of the contract, nullifies years 5 & 6 of the original contract and adds a 3yr ext.

I think the money you think he's lost is reflected in the signing bonus (29mil) and the difference (4mil) in both deals.

... this space intentionally left blank ...
SloMotion is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/58827-mcnabb-says-stafford-hasn-t-earned-his-contract.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
McNabb says Stafford hasnít earned his contract This thread Refback 07-10-2013 05:40 PM 56


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts