Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL
Shop Horizontal

Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Originally Posted by TheOak I did my homework and you reference my "argument" as if it is my opinion . It is reality. As far as the math. CFL grants roughly 75 to 80 per 10,000 applicants, .75 to .8 ...

Like Tree37Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #61
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,616
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
I did my homework and you reference my "argument" as if it is my opinion. It is reality. As far as the math. CFL grants roughly 75 to 80 per 10,000 applicants, .75 to .8 per every 100 applicants is not a full percent granted. So round to the closest answer.... Its not 92%.

1. A % of profit: If you understand profit, has zero to do with a franchise owners affluence, and everything to do with risk. Paying 50% of the profit to the parent company doesn't effect a person with $500 in the back more than it does a person with $5,000,000.00 in the bank. Its profit, not expense. it is what is left after everyone and everything is paid.

2. Market - All businesses study market before placement of a brick and mortar store. A target market is the market where a business has the best chance of success. Starbucks for example is supportive of the gay community, but if you look at the placement of their businesses you'll not find many in an area where the demographic and income level doesn't support $5 coffee. The adverse is also true, if you look at a map of Houston and see where Starbucks is not located you will find an abundance of La Michoacana grocery stores because they target and cater to lower income mostly Hispanic neighborhoods. Its not racism, or class warfare, its business.

3. Why does CFL get 10,000 applicants? Why do they take such a huge % of the profit? Because they take most of the risk by providing the brick and mortar store to the tune of 1-2.5m each, other franchises make the franchisee front the capital for the store... Guess who pays the monthly note for the land and building? So if you want to get into the affluence aspect of who CFL caters to, you will see they cater to low wealth entrepreneurs.

Total cost for a entrepreneurial franchisee out of pocket for a CFL = $5,000
Total cost for a entrepreneurial franchisee out of pocket for a Seattle's best Coffee (Owned by Starbucks) = look at the start up costs
Seattle's Best Coffee Franchise Information | Seattle's Best Coffee Ownership Cost, Requirements, & Fees

Now look at the start up costs for the top franchises of 2014 and compare that to $5,000
2014 Top Franchises from Entrepreneur's Franchise 500 List

As far as for CFL hand picking "like minded" individuals... Well that would involve a Q&A process that would bring the NAACP, US DoL, and every other entity governmental and non governmental down on them just for asking certain questions.

Do you think Mr. Charles Gibson was asked how he feels about blacks and gays during his vetting process? I suspect that with roughly 9,900 people being turned down a year if CFL was asking those questions the law suits would number in the thousands each year.
Chick-fil-A: Franchise Opportunities


What do you do for a living? Do you have a target market?
No, it's still you opinion because you haven't posted anything to validate your statement that CFA is targeting or is friendly to minority owners. Where is your CFA data? We are not discussing Starbucks.

The financials that you say appeal to minorities could just as easily apply to a wealthy individual or a venture capitalist firm: CFA's fee is only $5K, but applicants need to show proof of $1,000,000 in equity. After that you have your restaurant open and do about $25,000 a week in sales.
Your PAC, or profit after controllables, is want the owner-operator can impact, after taking into consideration that CFA's food cost is significantly higher than the rest of the fast-food segment. Your PAC is probably 30-35%
That takes you to LOP, location operating profit. Here is where you get hit with franchise royalty fee (4%), marketing fee, and NOW THE BIG ONES: rent and depreciation. Where does this money go? Right back to CFA, because, as you stated, THEY own the physical plant and equipment. And not only do they pick your location, they set the rent and dep numbers.

End of the day, the 'owner' shows 7-8% LOP, and oh yeah 50% goes to Dan Cathy. SO YES, having only $500 in the bank does hurt you in this scenario, because netting $5000 a month on the bottom-bottom line isn't great, and if you want out, fine, you have zero equity either way.

as for this:
What do you do for a living? Do you have a target market?
So obviously you think CFA does have a target market.
YOU started this discussion by condemning me for not supporting a business that does NOT target me as a customer. Have we now gone full circle and I can support who I want again?

River Trail MS Academic Team- #5th in the nation
ScottF is online now  
Old 02-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #62
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,615
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
No, it's still you opinion because you haven't posted anything to validate your statement that CFA is targeting or is friendly to minority owners. Where is your CFA data? We are not discussing Starbucks.

The financials that you say appeal to minorities could just as easily apply to a wealthy individual or a venture capitalist firm: CFA's fee is only $5K, but applicants need to show proof of $1,000,000 in equity. After that you have your restaurant open and do about $25,000 a week in sales.
Your PAC, or profit after controllables, is want the owner-operator can impact, after taking into consideration that CFA's food cost is significantly higher than the rest of the fast-food segment. Your PAC is probably 30-35%
That takes you to LOP, location operating profit. Here is where you get hit with franchise royalty fee (4%), marketing fee, and NOW THE BIG ONES: rent and depreciation. Where does this money go? Right back to CFA, because, as you stated, THEY own the physical plant and equipment. And not only do they pick your location, they set the rent and dep numbers.

End of the day, the 'owner' shows 7-8% LOP, and oh yeah 50% goes to Dan Cathy. SO YES, having only $500 in the bank does hurt you in this scenario, because netting $5000 a month on the bottom-bottom line isn't great, and if you want out, fine, you have zero equity either way.

as for this:
What do you do for a living? Do you have a target market?
So obviously you think CFA does have a target market.
YOU started this discussion by condemning me for not supporting a business that does NOT target me as a customer. Have we now gone full circle and I can support who I want again?
You are basing a lot of your information off of generic franchise modeling. $1mm in equity is Burger King, not Chick fil a. All of the above must be why CFA only has 20k applications/year for franchising. The CFA franchising model is low risk/low reward, a franchise owner can expect to make right around $100k/year... So I ask you, why in the heck would someone with $1m in equity chase $100k/year? it is not a high volume franchise so you wouldn't have 4 in a 5 mile radius.

As far as for CFA having a target market.. I openly stated that. All corporations and businesses have a target market. Try obtaining a business loan with a business model that has no target.

We are going full circle because you seem to be interpreting my words incorrectly; there isn't much need for interpretation, much less incorrect interpretation. I never said CFA "targets minority owners". Targeting based on ethnicity is discrimination. I did say their franchise model is one that caters to lower wealth entrepreneurs, and it does.

Now you deem my information irrelevant because I haven't posted information to validate? You have Google, use it. Why do you keep rewording my statements and giving them back to me? While intentionally avoiding my questions.

I have condemned no one. You brought up BP and CFA, I questioned motives and the degree of success that your boycotts have had? i also thought it prudent to point out that Dan Cathy and the BP-5 haven't been effected by your boycotts.

Now back to my original statement. Michael Sam's sexual orientation is irrelevant for employment.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #63
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,615
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

Micheal Sam makes my point for me at the combine:

“I just wish you guys would just see me as Michael Sam the football player instead of Michael Sam the gay football player,” he said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/sp...ield.html?_r=0

If you want to be seen as Sam the football player, don't go out of your way to make sure you are seen as a hyphenated-Sam the football player.

I am somewhat curious about his most recent statement, to me it comes off as a reversal to his previous statement. He went out of his way to be seen as someone that is making sure he is seen as a gay football player but now he doesn't care for that image.

I am also curious about the G/L/T community supporting a Corporation that makes zero attempt to embrace its community or support it. From what I have been told and read, the absence of translates to being against.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #64
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,569
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

And back to football... wasn't overly impressed with Sam's combine showing.
K Major is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #65
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,615
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
And back to football... wasn't overly impressed with Sam's combine showing.
17 reps puts him second lowest on the bench press
25" puts him around second to lowest Vert Jump

6'2" 261 puts him on the short and light side in comparison.

So he is shorter, lighter, weaker, and has average speed and quickness.
Monday Scouting Combine Tracker: Drill Results for Defensive Linemen and Linebackers - Acme Packing Company
NFL Events: Combine Tracker
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #66
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 191
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

That vertical jump attempt was pathetic.
brees84 is online now  
Old 02-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #67
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,569
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
17 reps puts him second lowest on the bench press
25" puts him around second to lowest Vert Jump

6'2" 261 puts him on the short and light side in comparison.

So he is shorter, lighter, weaker, and has average speed and quickness.
Monday Scouting Combine Tracker: Drill Results for Defensive Linemen and Linebackers - Acme Packing Company
NFL Events: Combine Tracker
I was expecting to see better numbers from the Co-MVP on defense of the mighty SEC.
K Major is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #68
Resident Swede
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Märsta, Sweden
Posts: 4,902
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
I was expecting to see better numbers from the Co-MVP on defense of the mighty SEC.
I am a little surprised to see his stats. His play last season was stellar. I wonder if he might be this years Vontaze Burfict.



Scott Fujita wrote an quite interesting piece on all of this too.
Michael Sam, Jason Collins pave the way for a better workplace, world | FOX Sports on MSN
Crusader is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #69
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,264
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
I was expecting to see better numbers from the Co-MVP on defense of the mighty SEC.
Jarvis Jones put up similarly unimpressive numbers too.

Its odd, the SEC sack leader has rarely been successful in the NFL, and I have no earthly freakin' idea of why that is.
Danno is online now  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #70
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,569
Re: Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Jarvis Jones put up similarly unimpressive numbers too.

Its odd, the SEC sack leader has rarely been successful in the NFL, and I have no earthly freakin' idea of why that is.
Just curious.. wasn't Derrick Thomas the SEC sack leader his junior year at Bama? Or was it Cornelius B? ... they stick out in my mind when it comes to sacking the QB in college and pros.
K Major is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/64265-michael-sam-comes-out-openly-gay-player-very-likely-drafted.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Michael Sam comes out, An openly gay player very likely to be drafted This thread Refback 02-09-2014 10:00 PM 41


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts