Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL

Really dislike Cam Newton but....

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Humble Winners and Gracious Losers, I'm not seeing Cam Newton falling into either category. Also lost a lot of respect for Peyton Manning when he stormed off and wouldn't shake Drew's hand after our SB game. On the flip side ...

Like Tree85Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,196
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Humble Winners and Gracious Losers, I'm not seeing Cam Newton falling into either category. Also lost a lot of respect for Peyton Manning when he stormed off and wouldn't shake Drew's hand after our SB game. On the flip side Riverboat Ron gave a good speech after the game in my opinion he's a class act.
RailBoss is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
10,000+ Posts!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 10,390
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Originally Posted by hitta View Post
I really dislike the big deal the media made of him walking out of the presser. The only reason I say this is because I'd probably defend any player put in that situation, but come on... he just lost the Superbowl... of course hes going to be upset. He was obviously heavily invested in winning, and when you get that close and lose.... it obviously is hard to deal with. The media has this tendency to try to shape people, make them all respond the same exact way to the same exact things. It's really annoying.
Sometimes less is more... the less you say... the more people are going to like it.

Cam got his A$$ kicked and was experiencing deep emotions. When you hurt because your life long dream that you have put so much hard work and dreams into just died, many of us would want to curse, scream, cry or punch the fudge out of something. Imagine having the crap beat out of you for 60 minutes and have to face a locker room with 50+ other payers. Hell... Have any of you read some of the classy comments posted on this board after the Saints loose one flipping game? Should anybody be required to talk to the media after losing the Superbowl? Nobody would want to or should be required.

In any case... I understand and don't hold it against him... BUT I don't feel sorry for him either.
It's all part of growing up.

hitta and rezburna like this.

Last edited by foreverfan; 02-08-2016 at 10:06 AM..
foreverfan is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
100th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 431
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I said "about" the worst way he could have reacted. The guy just up and walked out. He completely avoided the spotlight when the going got bad. Yet we all know how much he made it about himself leading up to the game.

How much worse of a reaction could he have? Really, within reason? We're not talking about shooting everybody in the room.
People handle their emotions differently. For some it's easy to compartmentalize. For some its very hard to pay attention in a presser when you have a billion thoughts going through your head.

Some people are easy to anger and lash out and whine. It may have been good that he didn't say much, because what he may have said could have been far worse. I couldn't tell you how many times coaches or players say crap about officials after the game. Is that good sportsmanship? They are athletes for a living. When you put all that work and time into trying to win a championship ,it's going to really hurt when you come up a hair short of your goal.
hitta is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,438
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Originally Posted by foreverfan View Post
Sometimes less is more... the less you say... the more people are going to like it.

Cam got his A$$ kicked and was experiencing deep emotions. When you hurt because your life long dream that you have put so much hard work and dreams into just died, many of us would want to curse, scream, cry or punch the fudge out of something. Imagine having the crap beat out of you for 60 minutes and have to face a locker room with 50+ other payers. Hell... Have any of you read some of the classy comments posted on this board after the Saints loose one flipping game? Should anybody be required to talk to the media after losing the Superbowl? Nobody would want to or should be required.

In any case... I understand and don't hold it against him... BUT I don't feel sorry for him.
How people react on this board to a loss is a vastly different context. People are stating their opinions. That isn't to say some aren't childish in said opinions, and you know what? They get called out for it, too. But for the most part people are just stating what they see. We aren't teammates with these guys, and so we're not responsible for trying to look out for anybody.

When you represent your team, you have that responsibility. What do you think are one of the main reasons that pro athletes make so much more money than their job really warrants? It's because they are held to a higher standard as a public figure. I know losing sucks, and I wouldn't much feel like talking about it either. But if I were given the opportunity he has, I would stand in there and deal with it. I've dealt with worse.
SloMotion and K Major like this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
10,000+ Posts!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 10,390
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
How people react on this board to a loss is a vastly different context. People are stating their opinions. That isn't to say some aren't childish in said opinions, and you know what? They get called out for it, too. But for the most part people are just stating what they see. We aren't teammates with these guys, and so we're not responsible for trying to look out for anybody.

When you represent your team, you have that responsibility. What do you think are one of the main reasons that pro athletes make so much more money than their job really warrants? It's because they are held to a higher standard as a public figure. I know losing sucks, and I wouldn't much feel like talking about it either. But if I were given the opportunity he has, I would stand in there and deal with it. I've dealt with worse.
Just remember, none of us have lost the Superbowl and none of us will ever know how it feels or how we would handle it.
He handled it like a person with nothing left to say.

foreverfan is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,438
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Originally Posted by hitta View Post
People handle their emotions differently. For some it's easy to compartmentalize. For some its very hard to pay attention in a presser when you have a billion thoughts going through your head.

Some people are easy to anger and lash out and whine. It may have been good that he didn't say much, because what he may have said could have been far worse. I couldn't tell you how many times coaches or players say crap about officials after the game. Is that good sportsmanship? They are athletes for a living. When you put all that work and time into trying to win a championship ,it's going to really hurt when you come up a hair short of your goal.
Again, I totally get being disappointed. And I get that he could have opened his mouth and said a bunch of stupid things. But that just speaks to the lack of maturity. Whether or not it's easy to compartmentalize, there are times when you simply HAVE to do it. The questions might be dumb, but it's part of the job for these guys. It's not the end of the world. If someone in his family had died, I'd understand not talking.

But when you talk the talk, well, you know how the rest of that saying goes. Cam loses credibility because of the way he consistently carries himself with no class while winning, and pulling this after a loss. Even if anyone thinks that isn't fair, he brought it upon himself.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 5,470
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Anyone remember how Steve Smith went off on Cam a few years ago ? ... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...ack-cam-newton

Grow up young grasshopper.
K Major is online now  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,438
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Originally Posted by foreverfan View Post
Just remember, none of us have lost the Superbowl and none of us will ever know how it feels or how we would handle it.
He handled it like a person with nothing left to say.

Deion on Cam walking out of presser: 'You can't do that' - NFL Videos
I can't tell you EXACTLY how it would feel to lose a Superbowl, specifically, no. But without getting into details, I will just say that I've dealt with worse events. And I'm not the only one. Everyone has a story of something really disappointing or tragic happening. And I know myself well enough to know that nothing like losing a game would be enough to make me embarrass myself like that. Even if I cried at the podium (which seems unlikely for me), I'd rather that than just be disrespectful and walk out.

I know, I know. I'm not Cam. I'm not saying he has to process things exactly like me. In fact I would not encourage it, I'm not always so good with things. But there's a line. There are some behaviors that just look bad.
Crusader, frydaddy and K Major like this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #19
10,000+ Posts!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 10,390
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
When you represent your team, you have that responsibility. What do you think are one of the main reasons that pro athletes make so much more money than their job really warrants? It's because they are held to a higher standard as a public figure. I know losing sucks, and I wouldn't much feel like talking about it either. But if I were given the opportunity he has, I would stand in there and deal with it. I've dealt with worse.
The season was over and there wasn't one thing he could say that would matter or change anything. The questions were stupid and the timing wasn't right. Oh well... LOL
rezburna likes this.
foreverfan is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 5,470
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Really dislike Cam Newton but....

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I know, I know. I'm not Cam. I'm not saying he has to process things exactly like me. In fact I would not encourage it, I'm not always so good with things. But there's a line. There are some behaviors that just look bad.
Burn,

I guarantee you he will sleep on it tonight, wake up tomorrow and regret the way he acted.
SloMotion likes this.
K Major is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/76643-really-dislike-cam-newton-but.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Really dislike Cam Newton but.... This thread Refback 02-08-2016 09:39 AM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts