Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL

Nice fight broke out

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; https://www.foxnews.com/sports/brown...lands-21-7-win Twitter...

Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 31,481
Blog Entries: 29
Nice fight broke out

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/brown...lands-21-7-win

SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,560
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Nice fight broke out

Hey, look, there's a thug who plays for the Browns. Looks like everything is business, as usual, over there. What a train wreck they've become, in every way now. Not just being a bad team.

Some day, he'll play for the Bengals. The NFL's version of the convicts squad.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 788
Re: Nice fight broke out

I didn't think this was nearly as bad as people made it out to be. Yes, he swung his helmet and hit him in the head, that's horrible. People have done a lot worse and got suspended less than 6 games though. Worst thing I've ever seen was the Haynesworth stomp, and he only got 5 games. I know it's a different era, but still don't think this deserves 6 games.
foreverfan likes this.
hitta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 30,016
Blog Entries: 35
Re: Nice fight broke out

jeanpierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
12,000 BS Posts
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 13,360
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Nice fight broke out

Originally Posted by hitta View Post
I didn't think this was nearly as bad as people made it out to be. Yes, he swung his helmet and hit him in the head, that's horrible. People have done a lot worse and got suspended less than 6 games though. Worst thing I've ever seen was the Haynesworth stomp, and he only got 5 games. I know it's a different era, but still don't think this deserves 6 games.
Welcome to political correctness NFL 2020 style.
The Steelers and Raiders use to do this in the 70s almost biweekly.
Opps... that Saints too. LOL

foreverfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,805
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Nice fight broke out

Originally Posted by hitta View Post
I didn't think this was nearly as bad as people made it out to be. Yes, he swung his helmet and hit him in the head, that's horrible. People have done a lot worse and got suspended less than 6 games though. Worst thing I've ever seen was the Haynesworth stomp, and he only got 5 games. I know it's a different era, but still don't think this deserves 6 games.
Disagree. Rudolph was fortunate that it was only a glancing blow, if Garrett had a clear shot at him you're talking concussion for sure and possible brain damage. He swung it hard and those helmets are neither soft nor lightweight. I hope they suspend him for a long time to come. Rudolph's agent is considering legal action as well, I hope that happens too. If you wanna pull off a guy's helmet to throw a few punches, fine. Not the most mature thing, but it's not life threatening. This was on a different level altogether. He deserves severe punishment, he needs to be made an example of.
MarchingOn and Saint in Aus like this.

Mais forte do que a morte
frydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 788
Re: Nice fight broke out

Originally Posted by foreverfan View Post
Welcome to political correctness NFL 2020 style.
The Steelers and Raiders use to do this in the 70s almost biweekly.
Opps... that Saints too. LOL

https://youtu.be/2WyLJ27TdZs
Yea, I just feel like as a society we're are evolving in this way where mistakes aren't tolerated at all. We tend punish people to the maximum in the name of humanitarianism, and we pretend as though people don't have all of these impulsive erratic emotions internally that they press down and repress from the world. Society as a whole is just hypocritical; a cesspool of sycophants who play the role of the egalitarian serviceman just to gain the default reputable standing.
Saint in Aus likes this.
hitta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 31,481
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Nice fight broke out

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cleve...ined-250g-each

And here it is...
SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 18,372
Re: Nice fight broke out

Man I don’t know what to make of all this. Rudolph gets pissed about a perceived unnecessary roughness by Garrett and tries to rip his helmet off. So then Garrett rips his helmet off and beats him with it. Just dumb ass stuff all around.
ChrisXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 788
Re: Nice fight broke out

Originally Posted by frydaddy View Post
Disagree. Rudolph was fortunate that it was only a glancing blow, if Garrett had a clear shot at him you're talking concussion for sure and possible brain damage. He swung it hard and those helmets are neither soft nor lightweight. I hope they suspend him for a long time to come. Rudolph's agent is considering legal action as well, I hope that happens too. If you wanna pull off a guy's helmet to throw a few punches, fine. Not the most mature thing, but it's not life threatening. This was on a different level altogether. He deserves severe punishment, he needs to be made an example of.
What do you think is more dangerous: Swinging a helmet and hitting someone in the head with it, or wearing a helmet and lunging into someones head/chin with it? Swinging the helmet like that is dangerous, I don't dispute that. The perfect swing could indeed cause brain injury. However, the way he swung it would be unlikely to cause significant damage. He hit him with the bottom of the helmet and he didn't really get a ton of velocity on the swing(there's a linear motion component to the the helmet and not a completely circular motion). Whether this matters or should matter in the overall punishment, I don't know. I do think players have done far worse and have gotten less punishment. For example, the Haynesworth stomp resulted in over 30 stitches in his head. This could have easily blinded Gurode(quite frankly I'm surprised that an eye didn't get hit by the motion that Haynesworth made) and caused all sorts of different complications. Haynesworth got 5 games for this. For the Garrett, just taking everything into account including the time period that we are in and how things are a bit harsher now.. I feel like 3 or 4 games would be about right. 6 games or more(if it goes into next season, that's just ridiculous) just seems excessive and I doubt that it was the result of a authentically objective viewpoint.
hitta is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts