Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > NOLA
Shop Horizontal

New Stadium Resolution.....

this is a discussion within the NOLA Community Forum; Originally Posted by saintswhodi Wow, a lot more conjecture. Expected. You know why San Antonio was passed over previously? Cause it was nowhere near as big as it is now. Neither was Austin. Both have grown tremendously over the last ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #91
DARE TO ENTER
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Home Sweet Home, NEW ORLEANS, La.
Posts: 1,154
Originally Posted by saintswhodi View Post
Wow, a lot more conjecture. Expected. You know why San Antonio was passed over previously? Cause it was nowhere near as big as it is now. Neither was Austin. Both have grown tremendously over the last decade. So I guess that answers why they didn't expand there. Also, the Spurs were 9th in the league in attendance in the regular season. Out of 30 teams. Does that sound like a fan base not supporting it's team? Everything you are saying is groundless, and I pray that people in the state of Louisiana who actually have the ability to do something about the Saints leaving are not thinking the same thing. It was the same thing with Oklahoma City. They weren't even on the NBA's map until they showed out in droves for the Hornets, just like when the Saints played in San Antonio. It took a tragic event to put the cities in their respective league's eyes, but they are there. Like I said, I have facts. You have conjecture based on overblowing some interviews you saw during the Finals. I wonder which is more relevant?
The facts you have are a little more bias than you want to admit. The fact that you proved my point a few posts ago when you said that San Antonians didn't have money to waste on a Championship finals that they knew the Spurs were going to win. During the finals that was all they talked about, the lack of excitement and interest the fans had in their home town team. Fact, there's always been Saints fans in Dallas, a hell of a lot more than in San Antonio. Fact, I knew at some point in this conversation you were going to bring up the Saints games in San Antonio, what you fail to mention was a lot of those fans that were in attendence were dislocated New Orleanians. Majority of those fans were true Saints fans from New Orleans, and that my friend is a FACT. I told you before, San Antonio is nothing more than leverage in contract talks for Mr. Benson and the State of Louisiana, as well as L.A. You honestly think Benson would pick San Antonio over Los Angeles when Texas have two franchises there already and L.A. have none, let's be real about this, it'll never happen. Look Whodi, I not disrespecting San Antonio in any way but the true facts remain, San Antonio will never, ever, have a NFL franchise located there, if it were possible it would have happen. And as far as Oklahoma City goes, what else is there? Nothing, no competition, the only thing in the State of Oklahoma are the Sooners and the Cowboys.

saint4life
(504)
blacksaint is offline  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 07-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #92
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by saintswhodi View Post
I'll be going to Reliant this year for the first time for Saints/Texans. I have seen it numerous times since my sister lived in Houston about a mile or so from it, but have never attended a game there. I am looking forward to it.

You'll love it and I will be there as well! It's 2 1/2 hours away from me, but with my job, Houston is as good as I can get when it comes to pros in person.
McKenzie is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #93
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by blacksaint View Post
The facts you have are a little more bias than you want to admit. The fact that you proved my point a few posts ago when you said that San Antonians didn't have money to waste on a Championship finals that they knew the Spurs were going to win. During the finals that was all they talked about, the lack of excitement and interest the fans had in their home town team. Fact, there's always been Saints fans in Dallas, a hell of a lot more than in San Antonio. Fact, I knew at some point in this conversation you were going to bring up the Saints games in San Antonio, what you fail to mention was a lot of those fans that were in attendence were dislocated New Orleanians. Majority of those fans were true Saints fans from New Orleans, and that my friend is a FACT. I told you before, San Antonio is nothing more than leverage in contract talks for Mr. Benson and the State of Louisiana, as well as L.A. You honestly think Benson would pick San Antonio over Los Angeles when Texas have two franchises there already and L.A. have none, let's be real about this, it'll never happen. Look Whodi, I not disrespecting San Antonio in any way but the true facts remain, San Antonio will never, ever, have a NFL franchise located there, if it were possible it would have happen. And as far as Oklahoma City goes, what else is there? Nothing, no competition, the only thing in the State of Oklahoma are the Sooners and the Cowboys.
I have to be trithful and admit I live in San Antonio. I don't want to argue about the Saints coming here at all, but I can say this city is much bigger now than it was when Benson bought the team. He's said it many times...SA over L.A. We could and would love to have them here. Jones is the biggest opponent to the Saints coming here. He wants SA to stay Cowboy land. It's slipping from him, though. The Texans are getting more popular and the Saints...well, SA loved them and they are becoming more and more popular here.
McKenzie is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #94
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Originally Posted by blacksaint View Post
The facts you have are a little more bias than you want to admit. The fact that you proved my point a few posts ago when you said that San Antonians didn't have money to waste on a Championship finals that they knew the Spurs were going to win. During the finals that was all they talked about, the lack of excitement and interest the fans had in their home town team. Fact, there's always been Saints fans in Dallas, a hell of a lot more than in San Antonio. Fact, I knew at some point in this conversation you were going to bring up the Saints games in San Antonio, what you fail to mention was a lot of those fans that were in attendence were dislocated New Orleanians. Majority of those fans were true Saints fans from New Orleans, and that my friend is a FACT. I told you before, San Antonio is nothing more than leverage in contract talks for Mr. Benson and the State of Louisiana, as well as L.A. You honestly think Benson would pick San Antonio over Los Angeles when Texas have two franchises there already and L.A. have none, let's be real about this, it'll never happen. Look Whodi, I not disrespecting San Antonio in any way but the true facts remain, San Antonio will never, ever, have a NFL franchise located there, if it were possible it would have happen. And as far as Oklahoma City goes, what else is there? Nothing, no competition, the only thing in the State of Oklahoma are the Sooners and the Cowboys.
I think you are confusing your facts with conjecture, and what you heard reported. NO ONE reported a lack of interest in the Spurs, they reported a lack of interest in the Spurs OPPONENT. The fact you keep trying to raise that as some kind of point is troubling, cause it's flat untrue. The Spurs sold out every playoff game until they got to Utah(no shot) and Cleveland(no shot), and as a matter of fact, this was the first time in their 4 years in AT&T Center history they didn't sell out. And it was by like 500 tickets. Ooh. That's a reflection of who they were playing, and that is what was reported, not a lack of interest in the team. If anything, if you were in San Antonio you would be sick with all the Spurs support there is. Also, as I pointed out with missile, do you think New England and Indianapolis fans are disinterested in their championship teams? I don't. Yet attendance numbers for Indy was dead last last year, and the Pats were never higher than 14th even in their dynasty run. That point still hold sno weight, but you are still trying to twist what was reported to make it so. If I didn't live here, I might ave fallen for it.

What does the number of Saints fans in Dallas have to do with the price of tea in china, and why would that need to be stated sa "fact?"

Also, I went to all 3 games in San An. A lot of the fans were dislocated New Orleanians, more were San Antonians and people from the surrounding area. It didn't help though the team was mired in one of it's worst season ever. Check out attendance for the Hornets when they moved to New Orleans if you wanna know what a slumping franchise does to a new fan base.

And um yeah, Benson would pick San An over Los Angeles cause of the business ties he has to San An. Hell, no one wants to move to Los Angeles cause Los Angeles has proven it's indifference to football. Also, Benson would not be able to Lord his team over Los Angeles and gain concessions like he would in San An, and like he does in New Orleans. He may be greedy, but he's not stupid. Even when Minnesota was owned by Red McCombs and he talked about moving them, it was to San An, and not Los Angeles.

So, you can believe San An will prob never have a team, hell they may not. The league is perfect at 32 teams, and most cities seem to find a way to work out issues that cause owners to want to move. But if you don't realize San An is a viable option, you're probably misinformed.

Last edited by saintswhodi; 07-02-2007 at 04:33 PM..
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #95
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
I have to be trithful and admit I live in San Antonio. I don't want to argue about the Saints coming here at all, but I can say this city is much bigger now than it was when Benson bought the team. He's said it many times...SA over L.A. We could and would love to have them here. Jones is the biggest opponent to the Saints coming here. He wants SA to stay Cowboy land. It's slipping from him, though. The Texans are getting more popular and the Saints...well, SA loved them and they are becoming more and more popular here.

It would take someone who lives here to know that. Thanks for speaking up.
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #96
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
You'll love it and I will be there as well! It's 2 1/2 hours away from me, but with my job, Houston is as good as I can get when it comes to pros in person.
Until Dallas opens that new stadium in Arlington. I can't wait for the Saints to play them again, so I can go check out that monster.
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #97
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by saintswhodi View Post
It would take someone who lives here to know that. Thanks for speaking up.
No problem. I'm pretty frank on message boards. Expect me to be quite involved here.

SA was very proud to host the Saints. We took very good care of a team and organization in utter chaos. That schedule for 13 road games really did a number on them. 8-8 in 04 to 3-13 in 05. It was heartbreaking, but I was there for the 3 we had, spent a ton of bucks on shirts and stuff, taught people how to tailgate, took people who had never been to a pro game, not even Dallas, turned them away from being Dallas fans, and actually made friends with a couple who I met out and about in the city. I recall a Spurs game that Aaron Brooks attended with his family. The camera guys found him and blasted him up on the jumbotron. The At&T Center exploded in applause for him. He looked so shocked. See, most people in SA knew nothing of booing the Saints or wearing paper bags. We hardly got any coverage of the Saints here, so people just didn't know them.

Now they do and the Cowboys lost themselves a bunch of followers. You can buy more Saints stuff in SA than you can Texans. If you want Texans stuff, you need to order it online. It's scarse. I go with a group of friends on certain game days to a sports bar that has 4 big screens. They reserve one for the Saints. Always. They never get a smaller TV. And you should see all they people in Saints gear watching them....not the Cowboys.

I can't wait to be in Houston on Nov 18th. I got my seats from a friend who is now a Texan cheerleader and she already knows that I'll wear my fleur de lis that day.

I'll go to Dallas when the new place opens and the Saints play them. I want to see that monster, too.

FYI..if you can get the Holiday Inn Reliant, ask for a room with the view. It's all lit up at night and just gorgeous. And, you walk out the back door into the parking lot. Head to the left of Reliant to the Orange and Blue lots and just start talking to people. They'll feed you, offer beer. They really know how to throw it down. They are also very classy and won't hassle you for being a Saint.

p.s. What ever you do, DON'T wear your Reggie jersey. They are still pretty upset over that draft. They wanted VY, but would have taken Reggie over Williams.

Last edited by McKenzie; 07-02-2007 at 05:31 PM..
McKenzie is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #98
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
No problem. I'm pretty frank on message boards. Expect me to be quite involved here.

SA was very proud to host the Saints. We took very good care of a team and organization in utter chaos. That schedule for 13 road games really did a number on them. 8-8 in 04 to 3-13 in 05. It was heartbreaking, but I was there for the 3 we had, spent a ton of bucks on shirts and stuff, taught people how to tailgate, took people who had never been to a pro game, not even Dallas, turned them away from being Dallas fans, and actually made friends with a couple who I met out and about in the city. I recall a Spurs game that Aaron Brooks attended with his family. The camera guys found him and blasted him up on the jumbotron. The At&T Center exploded in applause for him. He looked so shocked. See, most people in SA knew nothing of booing the Saints or wearing paper bags. We hardly got any coverage of the Saints here, so people just didn't know them.

Now they do and the Cowboys lost themselves a bunch of followers. You can buy more Saints stuff in SA than you can Texans. If you want Texans stuff, you need to order it online. It's scarse. I go with a group of friends on certain game days to a sports bar that has 4 big screens. They reserve one for the Saints. Always. They never get a smaller TV. And you should see all they people in Saints gear watching them....not the Cowboys.

I can't wait to be in Houston on Nov 18th. I got my seats from a friend who is now a Texan cheerleader and she already knows that I'll wear my fleur de lis that day.

I'll go to Dallas when the new place opens and the Saints play them. I want to see that monster, too.

FYI..if you can get the Holiday Inn Reliant, ask for a room with the view. It's all lit up at night and just gorgeous. And, you walk out the back door into the parking lot. Head to the left of Reliant to the Orange and Blue lots and just start talking to people. They'll feed you, offer beer. They really know how to throw it down. They are also very classy and won't hassle you for being a Saint.

p.s. What ever you do, DON'T wear your Reggie jersey. They are still pretty upset over that draft. They wanted VY, but would have taken Reggie over Williams.
When I go, i'll prob just stay with my sis, who is gonna go too. She lives a mile or so from reliant, in the medical center area. But we'll be early enough to tailgate for sure. Glad to have you aboard here!
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #99
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 26
Wink

Extremely glad to be here. Finally! Like I said, SR just got absurd and after the Black & Gold Nation, the official site, went down, I was just lost. I was on the B&G from 01-04, when they closed down. Being from Texas, SR got very ugly to anyone from here. I haven't had a Saints board for 2 years, so all I can do is say THANK YOU! for being around. Have to thank Google, too. That's how I found you.

I'll be at Reliant at 6am. I have a group of friends in Orange Lot that I start with, move down a ways to another group for mid-morning food, into Blue for drinks with some former commercial divers, into Platinum. Then it's gametime. After the game, it's across Kirby to Yellow lot then back to Orange. We wind things up around 6pm. I tell you what. The Houston crowd is a good substitute for the Saints Family. They took me right in. Real good people. (Except about the draft thing....LOL)

Last edited by McKenzie; 07-02-2007 at 05:55 PM..
McKenzie is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 08:17 AM   #100
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Originally Posted by saintsmissile View Post
don't confuse apples and oranges. NFL stadiums and NBA stadiums are a HUGE difference in number of fans in attendance. If anything, this throws more confusion on the issue. By your own arguement, you say that San Antonio is growing and therefore could support an NFL team. However, the facts prove otherwise. You sit there and say one of the reasons why San Antonio didn't pack the house for every Saints game is because "they were mired in one of the worst seasons in history" yet you then put up the arguement that the Hornets "benefited" from a "new fan base". Uh, last I checked, the Horntes have not even made the playoffs the last two seasons. So, that being said, why did the Saints not benefit from a "new fan base" while they were in San Antonio? Other than the first game, San Antonio provided average facilities and an average fan base. Many Saints players complained of practice facilities and the facilites as a whole. Those are the facts.


Btw, weren't the Spurs thinking of leaving San Antonio right around the time that the Hornets went to New Orleans?

*sigh* At this point, I really wish you had let this go instead of making me sift through more nonsense. Not once, not ever, not even close did I say the Hornets benefitted from a new fan base. Not once. I used them as an example of what a crappy team in a new city has to deal with when trying to make new fans cause, you know, their attendance was one of the worst in the league in New Orleans. Also taking a shot at the practice facilities is lame. Why would a city with NO PRO FOOTBALL TEAM, and that has never had a PRO FOOTBALL TEAM have state of the art practice facilities for a pro football team? Oh, they wouldn't. Unless they planned Katrina 10 years in advance and built them with the foreknowledge New Orleans would be under water and they would need state of the art facilities to lure the Saints. You beleive that's what happened right?

Just saying that though, I am gonna let this go. You haven't yet made a valid counterpoint, while also trying to totally misrepresent what I say, completely fabricate other points, and in general, just throwing stuff out to see what sticks to the wall. I see you totally ignored the your faux pas in trying to diss Spurs fans saying we didn't care about the team cause we didn't build a new arena for them, when they got a new arena just 5 years ago. Whatever your bias, it isn't helping your argument. I hope we can agree to disagree cause this is going nowhere.
saintswhodi is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts