Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

The Pro Football Hall of Fame

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper While there may be 5 people in the NFL HoF who where associated in some way, shape, or form to the New Orleans Saints, none of them entered the Hall because of what they did with ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 08:22 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 661
Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper
While there may be 5 people in the NFL HoF who where associated in some way, shape, or form to the New Orleans Saints, none of them entered the Hall because of what they did with the New Orleans Saints, so I don't feel that there are any Saints in the HoF.
If you don't think that Jim Finks is in the Hall because of what he did with the Saints organization, then you are sadly mistaken.

You can make an arguement that no true "player" from the Saints is in the Hall, but you don't have a leg to stand on if you believe that Jim Finks, as the Saints GM, is not deserving of the Hall?
mjf150 is offline  
Latest Blogs
MID TERM ELECTION Last Blog: 10-29-2014 By: teddybarexxx


2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Old 09-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #12
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,631
Word.
WhoDat is offline  
Old 09-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #13
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,382
Originally Posted by mjf150
Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper
While there may be 5 people in the NFL HoF who where associated in some way, shape, or form to the New Orleans Saints, none of them entered the Hall because of what they
... did with the New Orleans Saints, so I don't feel that there are any Saints in the HoF.
If you don't think that Jim Finks is in the Hall because of what he did with the Saints organization, then you are sadly mistaken.

You can make an arguement that no true "player" from the Saints is in the Hall, but you don't have a leg to stand on if you believe that Jim Finks, as the Saints GM, is not deserving of the Hall?

...don't take it from me.....

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...p?player_id=67


Jim Finks had a long career in the NFL expanding decades. not just the 5 years he was the GM of the Saints, and while Jim Finks will always be held dear in my mind and in many Saints fans' minds, he did not go into the HoF because of what he did with th Saints..
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 661
Uh, you overlooked one important fact. At the top of the Hall of Fame page listed by teams, it is written, "Hall of Famers who made the major part of their primary contribution for any one club are listed in BOLD CAPS."

Funny how JIM FINKS appears under New Orleans in CAPITAL LETTERS. So, according to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, you are WRONG.
mjf150 is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #15
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,631
Uh oh Spaghetti-O!! LOL
WhoDat is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #16
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,382
Originally Posted by mjf150
Uh, you overlooked one important fact. At the top of the Hall of Fame page listed by teams, it is written, "Hall of Famers who made the major part of their primary contribution for any one club are listed in BOLD CAPS."

Funny how JIM FINKS appears under New Orleans in CAPITAL LETTERS. So, according to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, you are WRONG.



... yeah... and in your haste to prove me wrong you overlooked 2 important facts: on the same link you mention, JIM FINKS appears on CAPITAL LETTERS unde both the MINNESOTA VIKINGS and the CHICAGO BEARS as well. You also did not notice that JIM FINKS was with the VIKINGS and the BEARS a combined 17 YEARS, during which there were multiple playoff appearances, as well as Super Bowl(s?)...

..but hey, it's a free country...

As much as I would love to say so, Jim Finks is not in the HoF for what he did while with the New Orleans Saints... he's in the HoF for what he did throughtout his career, which does include his stint as GM for the Saints between 1986 and 1991 (the official record is 86-92, but that last year he was very sick). But him being in the HoF is not a direct result of his time in NO.
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 661
I read all of that info. And in fact, what it says is if the person was equally important to multiple franchises, then he would be listed in BOLD CAPS for all of them, as in the case of Nick Bonicotte. For what Jim Finks did for the New Orleans Saints franchise as a whole, he would be in the Hall of Fame regardless of whomever else he may have worked for. That is the point of him being listed in CAPS for all teams not just one or two. It is a credit to his abilities that his career with ANY one of those teams would stand on its own.
mjf150 is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #18
500th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alexandria, Louisiana
Posts: 665
Morten is a shoe in. Rickey I'm not so sure,( does he still hold the NFL record for fumble recoveries), a travesty if he does go in as a 49'er. Mills should go in. Roaf as wel, but if Roaf gets a Super Bowl ring before he retires he wont go in as a Saint.

My "outside the box" pic for a SAINT to go in the HoF, Jim Everett. For the best thrashing of a jerk sports media personality. Remember Jim Rome in the morining and the thrashing he took from Everett just before his first season with the Saints. Ok maybe not HoF material but he should have gotten an ESPY or an EMMY...

"When you see a fork in the road, take it" -Yogi Berra
jrmllb is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #19
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Golden State
Posts: 830
I bought Everett's jersey JUST FOR THAT REASON!!!!!!
Rome sucks....the worst sportcaster ever..
<ching>
CHACHING is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 PM   #20
500th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alexandria, Louisiana
Posts: 665
Agreed worst sportscaster ever...it pains me to call him that...its not like he does play by play or anything...I doubt he could keep up...its obvious his mind works slow since everyone watching knew he was going to get popped 5 seconds before he opened his mouth again...Gotta hand it to the guy though it made that otherwise forgetful season worth watching
jrmllb is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts