New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   exactly what i have said. it would not get done on time (http://blackandgold.com/saints/10579-exactly-what-i-have-said-would-not-get-done-time.html)

spkb25 11-04-2005 06:03 PM

exactly what i have said. it would not get done on time
 
Superdome's reopening date delayed
Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. -- The projected reopening date for the Louisiana Superdome has been pushed back about a month after a proposal for architectural design work was rejected.

The Superdome, which became a symbol of the destruction wrought by the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and a shelter for thousands displaced by the storm, is not expected to be repaired and ready to host football games until November 2006.

But Superdome Commission chairman Tim Coulon said it is still possible the New Orleans Saints could play three or four games in the stadium next season. Tulane could also play some games at the facility.

The original architectural proposal, from a consortium of Houston, Baton Rouge and New Orleans firms, was thrown out when officials discovered that the Houston firm of Leo A. Daly failed to disclose that it is being sued by officials of the Atlanta airport, Superdome general manager Glenn Menard said.

The process of finding another design team has been reopened and new proposals are due Nov. 10. That means about three weeks have been lost in the process, Coulon said.

Coulon estimated the cost to put the Superdome in its pre-Katrina condition at about $125 million. The stadium sheltered more than 20,000 evacuees and lost part of the roof to the hurricane.

The repair cost also will include bringing the building up to present-day fire safety and engineering code and repairing scoreboards and mechanical equipment damaged by flood waters.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency or the state's umbrella insurance policy will pay for the repairs, Menard said.

lynwood 11-04-2005 06:10 PM

RE: exactly what i have said. it would not get done on time
 
Either way it still won't address the upgrade to the superdome or new stadium issue, unless that is part of the repair. I almost wish they'd declare it a total loss and take the insurance money and build a new dome or stadium.

Euphoria 11-04-2005 06:52 PM

RE: exactly what i have said. it would not get done on time
 
That we do agree on if they just condem the damn thing, insurance will kick in and federal money. However the problem with that is gives Benson more fuel to move the Saints, it'll take anywheres from 4 to five years to have a new Dome built.

lynwood 11-04-2005 09:50 PM

Re: RE: exactly what i have said. it would not get done on t
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria
That we do agree on if they just condem the damn thing, insurance will kick in and federal money. However the problem with that is gives Benson more fuel to move the Saints, it'll take anywheres from 4 to five years to have a new Dome built.

It took the texans i think a year to get the stadium built after they were awarded the franchise maybe two, but pretty sure it was one. So 4 to five years only if the money for the building it is tied up in red tape or something. bUt a new stadium should be built.

xan 11-04-2005 10:43 PM

RE: Re: RE: exactly what i have said. it would not get done
 
Gotta have a site, gotta get a bill passed, gotta select an architect, gotta get contractors bids, gotta have overruns and delays. Houston had a running start, we're still wading through sludge and feces.

lynwood 11-05-2005 09:10 AM

Re: RE: Re: RE: exactly what i have said. it would not get d
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xan
Gotta have a site, gotta get a bill passed, gotta select an architect, gotta get contractors bids, gotta have overruns and delays. Houston had a running start, we're still wading through sludge and feces.

All true, but i thought that a new stadium proposal was already submitted, just denied for renovating the superdome. As soon as we know if the saints are gonna stay most of the site building can start. Looks like they will remain now till the end of 2006. I'll I'm saying is it can be done in a year and they have already looked at sites and proposals. I think what remains is funding and certanty that the saints will stay. Of course i'm being optimistic. With Louisiana government it getting done in 10 years wouldn't be a surprise.

Tobias-Reiper 11-05-2005 10:12 AM

No electricity? Who cares, let's build a stadium for Benson...
Water supply still contaminated? Who cares, let's build a stadium for Benson...
The levies are in shambles, and will must certainly break again should a stiff wind blow? Who cares, let's build a stadium for Benson...
Insurance companies better put their money to good use, and pay up for the Dome!!

xan 11-05-2005 10:36 AM

Not to sound too socialist, but the great depression was somewhat solved by large public works which pumped money and velocity of money through local economies. It would seem that if the powers that be really want NO to recover quickly, moneys would be deployed for projects like larger levees, stadiums, roads, channels, parks and recreation and public transportation. Fixing a dying facility may not be in the best long term interest of NO. I think that everyone would be mollified with a new sports complex, and target holding the 2020 Olympics as the goal, as every aspect of the above would have to be addressed.

lynwood 11-05-2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xan
Not to sound too socialist, but the great depression was somewhat solved by large public works which pumped money and velocity of money through local economies. It would seem that if the powers that be really want NO to recover quickly, moneys would be deployed for projects like larger levees, stadiums, roads, channels, parks and recreation and public transportation. Fixing a dying facility may not be in the best long term interest of NO. I think that everyone would be mollified with a new sports complex, and target holding the 2020 Olympics as the goal, as every aspect of the above would have to be addressed.

Agree totally. If no businesses return then why should the residents? Pretty much I think the levee situation needs to be taken care of first. A new stadium would mean that NO is serious about re-establishing itself. New stadium not so much for Bensen but for NO. It just sucks that he still owns the team at this point.

CHACHING 11-06-2005 11:39 AM

I agree...I think the league should force Benson to sell the team and move his ass to Alaska(no jacket) just for the shame he has cast on the State......I mean, after such a horrific disaster the least he could do is lie...
If that happened I think that commerce would greatly improve in N.O.......
Think about it......who wouldn't want to come to the "NEW" New Orleans??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com