NFL Mock Draft: APSS - Matt GambillPrint this article | Email this article
April 24, 2003
By Matt Gambill, All-Pro Scouting Services
1. Cincinnati Bengals | Carson Palmer | QB | Southern California
Reason: Palmer is the signal caller for the future in Cincy. They'd have a hard time justifying Newman or Leftwich with the top pick.
2. Detroit Lions | Charles Rogers | WR | Michigan State
Reason: This is a no brainer. It's been no secret. Why else would Bobby Williams have a job?
3. Houston Texans | Andre Johnson | WR | Miami
Reason: Johnson will give Carr and the Texans a big, physical target that can stretch the field and make big plays. He still is very raw, but could become a star.
4. Chicago Bears | Dewayne Robertson | DT | Kentucky
Reason: Jerry Angelo and the Bears need to win now and taking a QB at four isn't an option anymore. Robertson is the best DT and fills a need immediately. Keep an eye on Terrell Suggs here as well.
5. Dallas Cowboys | Terence Newman | CB | Kansas State
Reason: A few teams have been scared off by the nerve damage in Newman's shoulder, but that plays into Parcell's hands, who covets the CB. This pick could be dealt if Newman is off the board.
6. Arizona Cardinals | Terrell Suggs | DE | Arizona State
Reason: Suggs hasn't worked out well and has seen his stock fall some, but he will be a star player. The NFL puts a premium on pass rushers and he is the best.
7. Minnesota Vikings | Jimmy Kennedy | DT | Penn State
Reason: Although Tice and the Vikes would like Robertson, however, Kennedy is a big time talent and a real upgrade to go alongside future Pro Bowler Chris Hovan.
8. Jacksonville Jaguars | Marcus Trufant | CB | Washington State
Reason: This is where the draft may get crazy. The Saints are sitting at No. 17 and No. 18 and would love Trufant, but the Jags need a cover corner. Trufant fits the bill.
9. Carolina Panthers | Jordan Gross | OT | Utah
Reason: The Panthers would like to move down and take Gross or a WR/DT, but should they stay, Gross will be the guy. He fits an immediate need at tackle.
10. Baltimore Ravens | Byron Leftwich | QB | Marshall
Reason: Head coach Brian Billick and offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh would love to have Kyle Boller here, but general manager Ozzie Newsome calls the shots in Baltimore and Leftwich is his guy.
11. Seattle Seahawks | Johnathan Sullivan | DT | Georgia
Reason: Seattle was one of the worst teams against the run a year ago and John Randle and Chad Eaton are aging. Sullivan is a big time talent who can add youth and potential to the front four.
12. St. Louis Rams | Kyle Boller | QB | California
Reason: Boller may come to be the best QB of this draft, but because of questions about his accuracy and on field decision making, some teams may shy away from him in the top 10. Martz will grab him and groom him behind Warner/Bulger.
13. New York Jets | Kevin Williams | DT | Oklahoma State
Reason: This is the DT head coach Herman Edwards covets most and it is very possible he gets him. Kelley Washington is another option here to watch.
14. New England Patriots | Kelley Washington | WR | Tennessee
Reason: Stellar workouts and medical clearance from doctors have Washington's stock on the rise again. The staff at New England was extremely impressed with him on his visit and they need a big receiver.
15. San Diego Chargers | William Joseph | DT | Miami
Reason: Chargers have a huge gap in the middle of the defensive line and Joseph could be the answer. Marty is also looking at OT and CB.
16. Kansas City Chiefs | Jerome McDougle | DE | Miami
Reason: McDougle doesn't have huge sack numbers, but he has all the skills to be a demon off the edge. The Chiefs are in the market for a DE, but may look to move down.
17. New Orleans Saints | Andre Woolfolk | CB | Oklahoma
Reason: While they signed Ashley Ambrose in free agency, the Saints still covet a big play CB. Woolfolk has a lot of ability and can contribute immediately in the Saints improved secondary.
18. New Orleans Saints | Jeff Faine | C | Notre Dame
Reason: Faine is by far the best center available and the Saints have yet to sign Jerry Fontenot. Faine would start from day one and has Pro Bowl ability.
19. New England Patriots | Eric Steinbach | OT/G | Iowa
Reason: The Patriots would have rather selected a DT with one of the team's two first round picks, but will take the two best players available on offense. Steinbach has an enormous upside and the Pats could use some athleticism on the offensive line.
20. Denver Broncos | Boss Bailey | OLB | Georgia
Reason: Bailey is the best pure athlete on the defensive side of the ball and can come in and contribute on special teams immediately. He's still got some learning to do, but could become a steal at No. 20 should he develop.
21. Cleveland Browns | Wayne Hunter | OT | Hawaii
Reason: The Browns continue to add youth and skill to an offensive line that is desperate for help. Hunter can play LT and RT. DE, LB, and TE are also options here. Maybe a trade down.
22. New York Jets | Taylor Jacobs | WR | Florida
Reason: The Jets got their man at No. 13 in DT Williams and look to replace Coles with the speedy, polished, Taylor Jacobs. He can come in and play and contribute immediately.
23. Buffalo Bills | Dallas Clark | TE | Iowa
Reason: Buffalo could go a few different directions, but TE seems to be a big need with the loss of Riemersma. Clark is a very athletic, solid TE who can give Bledsoe another target over the middle.
24. Indianapolis Colts | Nick Barnett | OLB | Oregon State
Reason: Barnett is a player who has seen his stock soar in recent weeks. He fills an immediate need at LB for Indy and is the prototypical player for Dungy's defense.
25. New York Giants | Kwame Harris | OT | Stanford
Reason: The Giants view Harris as a clear upgrade from Mike Rosenthal and some may view this as a steal. Harris has all the physical tools, but needs to add strength and needs coaching. Has an enormous upside.
26. San Francisco 49ers | Bryant Johnson | WR | Penn State
Reason: Dennis Erickson loves big, fast, physical receivers and Johnson fits the bill at 6'2", 213 pounds and possesses a 4.45 (40-yard) speed. DT and LT are options, but Johnson may get the nod.
27. Pittsburgh Steelers | Larry Johnson | RB | Penn State
Reason: Pittsburgh's Jerome Bettis is likely in his final season in the steel city and Johnson would be a tremendous heir to the RB throne. He's the big, physical, grinding style of RB the Steelers like.
28. Tennessee Titans | Willis McGahee | RB | Miami
Reason: The Titans are one of the teams who rate McGahee as a clear round one pick and would love to have him take over for Eddie George in 2004. He's progressed at a very rapid pace and could be game ready this season.
29. Green Bay Packers | Rashean Mathis | FS/CB | Bethune-Cookman
Reason: Mathis is a player who could easily get selected in the top 25, but teams are still concerned about his level of play. Green Bay needs help in the secondary and Mathis is a versatile player who can bring athleticism and big play ability to that defense. LB and DT are also options, as is QB.
30. Philadelphia Eagles | Michael Haynes | DE | Penn State
Reason: The loss of Hugh Douglas is a big blow of the defensive line. Haynes is a very good looking DE who is skilled at rushing the passer and is also good against the run.
31. Oakland Raiders | Troy Polamalu | SS | Southern California
Reason: Oakland needs safety help and Polamalu is a big time athlete with enormous ability and he's a local kid. WR, DT, and OT are other options.
32. Oakland Raiders | Kenny Peterson | DT/DE | Ohio State
Reason: Peterson's stock has fallen some because of his inability to finish workouts, but he's a very versatile player who fills two needs in Oakland.
How can he justify taking a center in the first round when it's a depth issue. Watch Bailey go by? cmon.
Agreed. Half our O-line can work at center, but how many people on the team can handle OLB?
Those are 2 players you can probably still get at #25. So if you don\'t like the people the Saints draft look at this one and say: It could have been worse. ;)
The Rams drafting Boller? Huh?
This guy\'s freakin\' nuts.
He\'s got Nick Barnett off the board before Henderson?!
The Rams taking Boller when they have Warner and Bulger?
The Patties taking a WR and an OG/T?
Tennessee taking McGahee? Another RB with another bum knee?
my 2 year old daughter drafts better thatn this guy
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.|
Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com