Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

WR question

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by gandhi1007 Originally Posted by LSUJeremy Originally Posted by gandhi1007 Henderson is the better choice when you want to stretch the field. Colston is a bigger better target with surer hands for getting enough yards for a first ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 472
Originally Posted by gandhi1007
Originally Posted by LSUJeremy
Originally Posted by gandhi1007
Henderson is the better choice when you want to stretch the field. Colston is a bigger better target with surer hands for getting enough yards for a first down.
Don't forget Colston can stretch the field as well. He's a 6'4" 230 lbs. receiver with a 4.43 forty time.
I have a hard time believeing 4.43. I don't think he would've lasted till we picked him if he was that fast.
He lasted that long because he played at Hofstra & wasn't seen much, but don't take my word for it :

Colston, a late-round pick at best after catching 70 passes for 975 yards and five touchdowns for Hofstra last fall, ran a 4.43 40-yard dash at the combine. Combine that speed with a 37-inch vertical jump, a 10-3 broad jump and a long shuttle time of 11.27 seconds, and Colston's secret is out.

He isn't considered a late-round pick anymore.

"I think I surprised a lot of NFL people with my time in the 40," said Colston, back in Harrisburg after spending last Thursday through Sunday in Indianapolis.

"I really don't think I was expected to run that fast, not at my size. I think most people were probably thinking I'd run around 4.6.
Here's the link:

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblo...60301192023815
I believe now.
LSUJeremy is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 578
Believe what???
D24pick is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Part Time Pimp
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,966
Originally Posted by D24pick
Ghandi you love this dude, and that article you have is not new about Payton commenting on Colston

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index...810.xml&coll=1

Perhaps the tightest battle of camp was at receiver, where the Saints had a plethora of talent, albeit unproven. The Saints shuffled receivers constantly during camp, trading Donte' Stallworth who had the most catches last season and promoting seventh-round pick Marques Colston to the third-receiver slot. With Saturday's cuts, Jamal Jones, Lance Moore and the injured Bethel Johnson (knee) all made the team. They join perennial starter Joe Horn and Devery Henderson, who took Stallworth's spot as the No. 2 receiver, and then made five catches in the final preseason game.
Your link was like in Aug. my was yesterday
I know your rooting for this guy but, DH has outplayed him period. I like em, too But DH hasn't been getting the respect that he deserves, he has not been dropping nor bobbling balls...He has definitely improved on his routes and his speed is always there, c'mon let up some Ghandi
I almost let this go.....NOT!!!

1st of all......we didn't trade Stallworth until August 28th. The link you read.......yesterday, my friend. Not August.......yesterday. Some of the quotes in there are from previous interviews, but the link was a headliner from yesterday. Yes.....everyone on here knows about my man crush on that beast of a rookie receiver, Marques Colston. :P Why? He is a rare talent of size, speed, strength, & athleticism. Guess what else........he can catch!!!!! Now.....I'm LSU alum., so I've got to root for Henderson too. But.....saying he's outplayed Colston? C'mon man.....Are we watching the same practices & games? Henderson couldn't catch at LSU & he's showing the same lingering problem here with the Saints. Sure....he's looked a heck of a lot better than previously, but he's still dropping balls on the numbers. That's not what you want from a receiver. His claim to fame: "The Bluegrass Miracle"......a pass he should have caught from the get go, bobbled, almost got picked, bobbled by the defender, & finally into Devery's hands to win the game. Devery's got world class speed....no doubt, but to be a successful NFL receiver, you've got to catch the ball consistently. Devery has yet to show he can do that. Colston has.

Now...here's a comment from the horse's (Coach Sean Payton's) mouth on Aug. 29th about the #2 WR spot right after the Stallworth trade:

"The fast impression of 2006 seventh-round pick Marques Colston, Payton said, made dealing Stallworth a bit easier. When asked if Colston would be the No. 2 receiver, Payton said, "Right now, no question."
Now....I don't know about you.... but when I hear the coach say who his #2 receiver will be "No Question", I'm inclined to believe that's who willl have that spot.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...s/15386022.htm

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...gs/12-3006.jpg

______________________________
KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!
-G.I. Joe
gandhi1007 is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 472
Originally Posted by D24pick
Believe what???
That Colston's that fast.
LSUJeremy is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 578
Originally Posted by gandhi1007
Originally Posted by D24pick
Ghandi you love this dude, and that article you have is not new about Payton commenting on Colston

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index...810.xml&coll=1

Perhaps the tightest battle of camp was at receiver, where the Saints had a plethora of talent, albeit unproven. The Saints shuffled receivers constantly during camp, trading Donte' Stallworth who had the most catches last season and promoting seventh-round pick Marques Colston to the third-receiver slot. With Saturday's cuts, Jamal Jones, Lance Moore and the injured Bethel Johnson (knee) all made the team. They join perennial starter Joe Horn and Devery Henderson, who took Stallworth's spot as the No. 2 receiver, and then made five catches in the final preseason game.
Your link was like in Aug. my was yesterday
I know your rooting for this guy but, DH has outplayed him period. I like em, too But DH hasn't been getting the respect that he deserves, he has not been dropping nor bobbling balls...He has definitely improved on his routes and his speed is always there, c'mon let up some Ghandi
I almost let this go.....NOT!!!

1st of all......we didn't trade Stallworth until August 28th. The link you read.......yesterday, my friend. Not August.......yesterday. Some of the quotes in there are from previous interviews, but the link was a headliner from yesterday. Yes.....everyone on here knows about my man crush on that beast of a rookie receiver, Marques Colston. :P Why? He is a rare talent of size, speed, strength, & athleticism. Guess what else........he can catch!!!!! Now.....I'm LSU alum., so I've got to root for Henderson too. But.....saying he's outplayed Colston? C'mon man.....Are we watching the same practices & games? Henderson couldn't catch at LSU & he's showing the same lingering problem here with the Saints. Sure....he's looked a heck of a lot better than previously, but he's still dropping balls on the numbers. That's not what you want from a receiver. His claim to fame: "The Bluegrass Miracle"......a pass he should have caught from the get go, bobbled, almost got picked, bobbled by the defender, & finally into Devery's hands to win the game. Devery's got world class speed....no doubt, but to be a successful NFL receiver, you've got to catch the ball consistently. Devery has yet to show he can do that. Colston has.

Now...here's a comment from the horse's (Coach Sean Payton's) mouth on Aug. 29th about the #2 WR spot right after the Stallworth trade:

"The fast impression of 2006 seventh-round pick Marques Colston, Payton said, made dealing Stallworth a bit easier. When asked if Colston would be the No. 2 receiver, Payton said, "Right now, no question."
Now....I don't know about you.... but when I hear the coach say who his #2 receiver will be "No Question", I'm inclined to believe that's who willl have that spot.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...s/15386022.htm
Watching the same practices and games. Yes.

I haven't seen DH drop one in a few weeks, he has been consistent....I didn't say he outplayed Colston, I said he has been undercredited...He has been just as good as Colston has been, DH earned his spot in the last preseason game while catching 5 balls, for like a bunch of yards vs 1st team D
Colston did all of his damage vs 2nd teams and 3rd teams, he played vs 1st team D vs the Cheifs and all he had was like one catch??? C'mon

Also, my post was from yesterday and it didn't have old quotes in it, all fresh details my boi

D24pick is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
Part Time Pimp
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,966
I didn't say he outplayed Colston, I said he has been undercredited...
D24.........that's exactly what you said when you said this:

I know your rooting for this guy but, DH has outplayed him period.
C'mon now. It's right up there in the thread.

DH earned his spot in the last preseason game while catching 5 balls, for like a bunch of yards vs 1st team D
Colston did all of his damage vs 2nd teams and 3rd teams, he played vs 1st team D vs the Cheifs and all he had was like one catch??? C'mon
Uhmm....Colston has played with the 1st team in every pre-season game. Are you still sure you've been watching the same games? Devery looked good against the Chiefs, but you were wrong again about the 1st team Defense. Henderson did most of his damage after K.C. pulled their starting corners out the game. I'm not taking anything away from Devery. He's shown improvement. But......we'll soon see who our #2 will be this season, & I don't think it will be my fellow LSU alum.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...gs/12-3006.jpg

______________________________
KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!
-G.I. Joe
gandhi1007 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #17
Part Time Pimp
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,966
Here's the fresh skinny from Payton today:

In addition to first-round pick Reggie Bush, who will see extensive playing time at running back, three other draft choices are expected to be key players and likely start — strong safety Roman Harper, a second-round pick from Alabama, right guard Jahri Evans, a fourth-round pick from Bloomsburg, and wide receiver Marques Colston, a seventh-round pick from Hofstra.

“I think some of those young guys have played well,� Payton said. “I wouldn’t be putting them into those positions if they hadn’t earned it. These are young players that I’m not interested in redshirting them or waiting if they’re ready. They’re our best option and I like those options, so we’ll see. We’ll get a chance to see quick.�

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/s...l?index=13&c=y
gandhi1007 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 39
Colston > Henderson ... sorry

Henderson has had years to show us something. Colston has shown more promise in 4 preseason games than Henderson has since we drafted him. :/
shrike3000 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 2,540
keep this going guys, it is good to hear "who's better" threads than he sucks vs. he sucks of the past few years
LKelley67 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #20
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 578
Ist off, DH only played one yr since we've drafted em, and that was with Haz
This guuy has never gotten a chance, from anyone not even on this board

Quote:
In addition to first-round pick Reggie Bush, who will see extensive playing time at running back, three other draft choices are expected to be key players and likely start — strong safety Roman Harper, a second-round pick from Alabama, right guard Jahri Evans, a fourth-round pick from Bloomsburg, and wide receiver Marques Colston, a seventh-round pick from Hofstra.

“I think some of those young guys have played well,� Payton said. “I wouldn’t be putting them into those positions if they hadn’t earned it. These are young players that I’m not interested in redshirting them or waiting if they’re ready. They’re our best option and I like those options, so we’ll see. We’ll get a chance to see quick.�
This doesn't prove that he is starting over DH

Uhmm....Colston has played with the 1st team in every pre-season game. Are you still sure you've been watching the same games? Devery looked good against the Chiefs, but you were wrong again about the 1st team Defense. Henderson did most of his damage after K.C. pulled their starting corners out the game. I'm not taking anything away from Devery. He's shown improvement. But......we'll soon see who our #2 will be this season, & I don't think it will be my fellow LSU alum.
No Colston hasn't, he's only played two games vs starters-Cowboys and Chiefs
The 1st game it was Hass and DH, 3rd game it was Jones and Stall, and DH got his longest two receptions vs Chiefs starters, Colston only had like one ball! C'mon, vs. the Cheifs, anyways if them both can stay consistent like this, there are no reasons why they shhouldn't be our top two next yr

Just to clear things up, I'm rooting for Colston too, but we still have to give DH credit...He never got a chance to prove himself, and a rookie comes in and gets a shot and he still plays well, we'll see even though both of them playing would be great

D24pick is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts