Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Dt Roster Depth.............

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Once viewed as one of the weakest positions on the team, not anymore. With the addition of Clancy, it could be look at as a strength, below are the DT's on the roster: No._____Player______Pos_Height_Weight___Born___Exp_College 70__Clancy, Kendrick__DT__6'1"___305_08/17/1978__7__Mississippi 96__Lake, Antwan____DT__6'4"___308_07/10/1979__4__West Virginia 77__Leisle, ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
DARE TO ENTER
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Home Sweet Home, NEW ORLEANS, La.
Posts: 1,154
Dt Roster Depth.............

Once viewed as one of the weakest positions on the team, not anymore. With the addition of Clancy, it could be look at as a strength, below are the DT's on the roster:

No._____Player______Pos_Height_Weight___Born___Exp_College
70__Clancy, Kendrick__DT__6'1"___305_08/17/1978__7__Mississippi
96__Lake, Antwan____DT__6'4"___308_07/10/1979__4__West Virginia
77__Leisle, Rodney____DT__6'3"___315_02/05/1981__3__UCLA
99__Thomas, Hollis____DT__6'0"___306_01/10/1974__11_Northern Illinois
90__Villarreal, Brandon_DT__6'2"___289_06/01/1983__R__Purdue
66__Young, Brian_____DT__6'2"___298_07/08/1977__7__UTEP

I can't wait for training camp to start, this will be the most competitive we've ever seen.
blacksaint is offline  
Old 06-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CRYSTAL BEACH TEXAS
Posts: 4,100
Don't forget McKInley Boykin, he's playing in Europe right now.
JOESAM2002 is offline  
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,983
Blog Entries: 52
You have to wonder is a Antwan Lake DE/DT type? The answer is yes.
So the signing Clancy has also given us more depth at DE. Nicko will be one of Smiths back up on the depth chart and Lake will be one of Grants.
Willie and Lake are our two DE/DT hybrids that fit a LDE mold.
Boy oh boy this is going to turn into a battle Willie, Josh, Niko and Cooper.
Talk about how one signing and its effected the whole DL.
Flexibility baby Flexibility
hagan714 is offline  
Old 06-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
DARE TO ENTER
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Home Sweet Home, NEW ORLEANS, La.
Posts: 1,154
Originally Posted by JOESAM2002 View Post
Don't forget McKInley Boykin, he's playing in Europe right now.
Good pick up JOESAM, I completely forgot about ole Boykin. Man ,I really believe this defense is going to shock a lot of people this season.
blacksaint is offline  
Old 06-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
500th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 657
Lots of veteran depth at the DT position, and it might be hard to run up the middle on the Saints.
saintsrule is offline  
Old 06-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 1,727
Originally Posted by blacksaint View Post
Good pick up JOESAM, I completely forgot about ole Boykin. Man ,I really believe this defense is going to shock a lot of people this season.
How's it going to be a shock? Last year the defense had three major problems:

1. Big plays
2. Run defense
3. Lack of turnovers

The team addressed each of these problems in the offseason:

1. Big Plays: Freddie "GameShow" "Double Move" Thomas was picked on by teams last year. This year there will be a stable of good young fast talent to address the big play issue. Also adding Harper and KK into the secondary mix will help limit big plays down the field.

2. Run defense. Part of that is attributed to point #1. The Saints gave up 14 rushes of 20 yards or more last season, including two 70+ yarders to Willie Parker in the Pittsburg game. Eliminate the big rush play and the average goes down quite a bit. Last year just eliminating the big rushes would have dropped us down to 4.2 YPA which is right in the middle of pack of the league.

3. Acquiring the top safety intercetpr last year in KK and Coach's point of emphesis on turnovers should make quite a difference.

The Saints were #11 in total yards and #13 in total points last year on defense. All the defense needs to do is stay healthy, stop the big play, and create turnovers to be a top 10 defense.

SFIAH

Super Bowl Championships New Orleans Saints:1, Atlanta:0, Carolina:0

Life is good.
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline  
Old 06-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2
help for young

i think this signing helps brian more than anyone. If you watch him closely, he is very disruptive to start off, but when teams start pounding the rock he wears down when against big guards. But if you can limit his number of plays, he is very quick and can give you a good, more than good pass rusher and get in the backfield on running plays. Just my opinion.
visegripp is offline  
Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
DARE TO ENTER
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Home Sweet Home, NEW ORLEANS, La.
Posts: 1,154
Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
How's it going to be a shock? Last year the defense had three major problems:

1. Big plays
2. Run defense
3. Lack of turnovers

The team addressed each of these problems in the offseason:

1. Big Plays: Freddie "GameShow" "Double Move" Thomas was picked on by teams last year. This year there will be a stable of good young fast talent to address the big play issue. Also adding Harper and KK into the secondary mix will help limit big plays down the field.

2. Run defense. Part of that is attributed to point #1. The Saints gave up 14 rushes of 20 yards or more last season, including two 70+ yarders to Willie Parker in the Pittsburg game. Eliminate the big rush play and the average goes down quite a bit. Last year just eliminating the big rushes would have dropped us down to 4.2 YPA which is right in the middle of pack of the league.

3. Acquiring the top safety intercetpr last year in KK and Coach's point of emphesis on turnovers should make quite a difference.

The Saints were #11 in total yards and #13 in total points last year on defense. All the defense needs to do is stay healthy, stop the big play, and create turnovers to be a top 10 defense.

SFIAH
When I said shock a lot of people I didn't mean the Black & Gold Nation my friend, I meant people outside our world. They'll going to shock the NFL and the fans that watch the game because they didn't go out and sign big name FA's, they resigned their own players, signed a few guys that fit our defensive scheme and philosophies. So not much is expected on that side of the ball, everybody will be focus on the offense while the defense will slowly be doing their job, shutting people down. And trust me dude they will SHOCK A LOT OF PEOPLE.

saint4life
(504)

Last edited by blacksaint; 06-08-2007 at 10:01 PM..
blacksaint is offline  
Old 06-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 578
Originally Posted by saintsmissile View Post
Villareal is a sleeper. He was impressive last year in camp and I would love this kid to be a backup to Young. Same type of player. Hard nose, high effort kid.
you are one of those likee young talent type saints. bro, i dont mean to judge or anything, but its true. every kid, that deals with our team, you seem to have high hopes for them, i cant wait to see what happens when some of them fail. dude, i was at camp more then 80% of the time last year, and that kid sucks. he is very string, but doesnt move well at all! i dont see anything in him, he got dealt with on more than one occasion. so where do you get that good camp last year crap from? the guy minucci came in and did tons better than him, this is sick

D24pick is offline  
Old 06-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
100th Post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 190
Originally Posted by blacksaint View Post
Good pick up JOESAM, I completely forgot about ole Boykin. Man ,I really believe this defense is going to shock a lot of people this season.

It wouldn't shock he.
I like the move that have been made on the Defense
this year.
along is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts