Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Is Reggie Bush a one in a generation player

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I am reluctant to say this because this a label that gets thrown a bit more then I would care for, but is Bush really the type of player that can be labeled once in a generational player? I kind ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 29
Is Reggie Bush a one in a generation player

I am reluctant to say this because this a label that gets thrown a bit more then I would care for, but is Bush really the type of player that can be labeled once in a generational player? I kind of see a Bo Jackson aura to Reggie. Both players had huge college careers but unfortunately for Bo his career ended sooner because of injury. But is Bush that good or his potential untapped that he can be a future HOF player? I could Reggie being a great future Many time All-Pro, he has that ability, this guy is that good IMHO.

the Saints already had a good Offense in place before Bush came here, but he made the team more complete and more powerful, the Saints could set scoring records and outdistance the the Rams teams of 99-01 if they do it right and yes I think Bush will be the type of guy that leads them to the Super Bowl.

Bush is too good of a player to be left out of a Super Bowl, he will get their before his career is over. Hell he almost did it his rookie season, so his potential is rising and his abilities are still not totally uncaparable to Gale Sayers or Walter Payton
Saintman2884 is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,942
No he isn't. Athletes these days are just getting stronger and faster year after year. There are tons of kids in college these days labeled as the next Reggie Bush etc. who have the same ability. So once in a generation type player, I don't think so.
papz is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,557
Blog Entries: 3
Originally Posted by papz View Post
So once in a generation type player, I don't think so.
How about "once in a lifetime" for the New Orleans Saints???? I'll take that!!
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,137
Originally Posted by Saintman2884 View Post
Bush is too good of a player to be left out of a Super Bowl, he will get their before his career is over. Hell he almost did it his rookie season, so his potential is rising and his abilities are still not totally uncaparable to Gale Sayers or Walter Payton

I'm sure they were saying the same thing about Barry Sanders after his first year. We all know how that turned out.

For the record however, I do think Bush is a once in a lifetime player. I cannot recall a single player I have ever watched in the NFL that can kill the opposing team in so many ways. The closest would probably be Marshall Faulk but he didn't return punts and kicks if I remember correctly.
With the Oline all coming back this year, if we stay healthy Bush is going to put up a year for the record books all purpose yardage wise.
stockman311 is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,967
Blog Entries: 52
I think we will all find out this year. He just got better as the year went on in 06. I am looking for him to pick up where he left off last year. This will be fun to watch.
hagan714 is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,942
Originally Posted by stockman311 View Post
I'm sure they were saying the same thing about Barry Sanders after his first year. We all know how that turned out.

For the record however, I do think Bush is a once in a lifetime player. I cannot recall a single player I have ever watched in the NFL that can kill the opposing team in so many ways. The closest would probably be Marshall Faulk but he didn't return punts and kicks if I remember correctly.
With the Oline all coming back this year, if we stay healthy Bush is going to put up a year for the record books all purpose yardage wise.
Bush returns the occassional punt... no kickoffs.

Barry Sanders, Faulk, LT, Priest Holmes, Reggie Bush, probably Adrian Peterson next, etc. Get where I'm going with this? In a couple of years when Joe McKnight comes out or when Noel Devine reaches the NFL, they'll be the next big thing. They're all in the same mold.
papz is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by papz View Post
Bush returns the occassional punt... no kickoffs.

Barry Sanders, Faulk, LT, Priest Holmes, Reggie Bush, probably Adrian Peterson next, etc. Get where I'm going with this? In a couple of years when Joe McKnight comes out or when Noel Devine reaches the NFL, they'll be the next big thing. They're all in the same mold.
Not that I'm ready to crown him the best RB to ever play the game. But he has something over all these guys already. Reggie has the ability to be a top WR and P/K returner if they wanted to only use him that way. And as the season went on he started to be more patient and use his blocker between the tackles. This kid could be one of the best RBs to play the game when his career is over, baring any severe injuries. Personally I also think he is a better athlete than all of the guys you just mentioned. I don't want yall to think I don't think these guys aren't great, they were. Reggie can be better, just watch. Adrian will probably be good but he can't come close to creating mismatches like #25.

[I]You know when you put a stick in the water and it looks bent? That's why I never take baths.
Steven Wright[/I]
fishdaddy is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Saints Junky
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Metairie Originally now a Houston transplant
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by papz View Post
No he isn't. Athletes these days are just getting stronger and faster year after year. There are tons of kids in college these days labeled as the next Reggie Bush etc. who have the same ability. So once in a generation type player, I don't think so.
I agree I was watching some high school highlights the other night and they had a young RB that was just incredible
This kid had size on his side and on top of that he moved like Sanders or Bush
Then they started showing him catching the ball and he was pulling down one handed catches (Rocket spirals from the QB) across the middle of the field with no fear of the LB's
It was truly something to watch

I would have to say if this kid stays healthy and is able to keep performing as he has been and then makes it to the pro’s he would have the same thing said about him

Not to mention labels should be on clothing lines not people

Last edited by DeadmaN; 06-22-2007 at 12:34 PM..
DeadmaN is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11
I'd love to think Reg could be the next B. Sanders! Wouldn't we all.. I personally think it will happen, he wants it! from what I have read he wants to be the best ever~ and do what it takes to get there. Pipe dream most top picks say or share but I do believe him in his statements. It's a state of mind. I just hope our O line believes that way
N.C. Saintfan is offline  
Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
Problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,942
Youtube Noel Devine and Joe McKnight's work out video from highschool... you'll see what DeadMan is talking about. These kids are just going to be get better and better.
papz is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts