Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Posted Sep 27th 2007 by Michael David Smith In 1989, the Green Bay Packers chose Michigan State offensive lineman Tony Mandarich with the second pick in the NFL draft, and everyone agreed that he was a sure thing. Instead, he ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
DARE TO ENTER
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Home Sweet Home, NEW ORLEANS, La.
Posts: 1,154
Cool Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

Posted Sep 27th 2007
by Michael David Smith



In 1989, the Green Bay Packers chose Michigan State offensive lineman Tony Mandarich with the second pick in the NFL draft, and everyone agreed that he was a sure thing. Instead, he became one of the biggest busts in history.

In 2006, the New Orleans Saints chose USC running back Reggie Bush with the second pick in the NFL draft, and everyone agreed that he was a sure thing. Now Mike Freeman of Spotsline argues that Bush is starting to resemble Mandarich.

"Mandarich is without question the most overrated draft prospect in the history of sports. And this is where Bush comes in. He's not so far behind Mandarich when it comes to creating a magnanimous image that isn't real. Not so far at all."

Freeman is certainly correct that Bush is overrated right now. In fact, it's so widely agreed upon that Bush is overrated that I'm not sure how much longer he can stay overrated. I do still think Bush can be a good NFL player, but I really don't think he'll ever become a great one. And given the expectations people had for him when he entered the league, that makes him a disappointment.

"To even mention Bush and Mandarich in the same breath is so damn disrespectful. No Bush is not the next Barry Sanders like a lot of people said he was going to be, but he's not a bust either. He still broke the rookie record for receptions that stood for over 20 years. Mandarich didn't do a damn thing, you media guys hype a player up and when he don't live up to your expectations you call them a bust. Well I got one thing to say to that. Reggie, take this oppotunity and shove it up their asses, and shut all of them the "F" up!"

FanHouse - AOL Sports Blog

saint4life
(504)
blacksaint is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richland, MS.
Posts: 1,997
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

Bush is going to be fine. Just remember, there is a lot of film on him now. Teams are adjusting to him is to be expected. Teams are learning that they do not have to put an entire game plan around stopping him. When the counter adjustments are made by the Saints, he is going to blow up again. This kind of stuff happens all the time in the NFL. This is primarily the reason for the infamous sophomore jinx that we all hear about.
MatthewT is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,950
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Bush is going to be fine. Just remember, there is a lot of film on him now. Teams are adjusting to him is to be expected. Teams are learning that they do not have to put an entire game plan around stopping him. When the counter adjustments are made by the Saints, he is going to blow up again. This kind of stuff happens all the time in the NFL. This is primarily the reason for the infamous sophomore jinx that we all hear about.
Its not a one man show... you got to block. There is not Reggie is another Barry Sanders. Won't do anything if you expect him to put the team on his back and carry the team. FORGET REGGIE ALREADY. BUILD A FOOTBALL TEAM. I don't want to be the New Orleans Reggie Bush. We need to be a team, the New Orleans Saints.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

Reggie is better than Madarich, but he certainly has problems for a running back. He does not appear to like to take a hit. As for blocking, do the saints block better for Deuce than they do for Reggie? Maybe Reggie would make a better reciever.
scedotal is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,962
Blog Entries: 52
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

This is almost as stupid as the AB is better than Brees I read yesterday. I wish the people writing this trash would at least do some research first. Bush is doing what the coach is telling him to do. The OL is getting blasted. When they pull it together then judge Bush.

Last edited by hagan714; 09-29-2007 at 08:42 AM..
hagan714 is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 27
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

Nothing was said about Mandarich after one season and a few games anyway. Even though this is most ridiculous and asinine comparison I've ever heard. The guy who wrote such trip is bored to hell, staying up nights LOOKING for something to write about..................

For the life of me, I just don't get all this "final analysis" about Reggie Bush, and knee-jerk reaction to this early season blip. Talk of Barry Sanders, Tony Mandarich..........regret the Saints drafted him, calling for a trade, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah........

I'll tell you whats really happening, from an outsiders point of view. What's really happening is that more than a few Saints fans are exposing themselves as "lightweight" fans of pro football. Success is something new to them, and they're showing their age in the "bigtime" of the NFL by not being able to handle any "bumps in the road". It's amazing to watch this happening. Eight months ago, there was talk of "the beginning of something big" around here. Pundits from coast-to-coast were speaking of the next Niner or Cowboy thing in N.O. The FIRST TIME since this new Saints era that EVERYTHING doesn't go according to Hoyle, and people vanish faster than a set a rims at a rap concert!!
I'm sorry. Far be it for me, new around here and not "family" to come around here scolding and barking. But I'm amazed about the "rats off a sinking ship" mentality of many 'round here. I know this league is a "what have you done for me lately" league. But success in ANY endeavor, not the least of which NFL football, doesn't happen in one moment or year.
I'm sorry to say this, but "Grow UP"!!! It's one thing to be honest about your teams pitfalls and genuinely citing what needs to improve. It's a whole 'nother thing to be calling for Reggie Bush's head and throwing him under the buss one year into his tenure! You gotta' have at LEAST 4-5 years of Bush before you can make an honest and accurate assessment of his value. Certainly not one full year (as a rookie, even) and a few games.
You want to pull a "Farve" like the Falcons did, have at it. If he was a 7 year all-pro, and came to town and underachieved, I could see the criticism and "buyers remorse". But it's WAAAAAAY premature to be hearing some of this "get rid of him" crap.
Keep this up, and you're gonna' have a classic case of a great player with a chip on his shoulder, wanting "OUT" of N.O.
lewpac is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,950
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

Originally Posted by lewpac View Post
Nothing was said about Mandarich after one season and a few games anyway. Even though this is most ridiculous and asinine comparison I've ever heard. The guy who wrote such trip is bored to hell, staying up nights LOOKING for something to write about..................

For the life of me, I just don't get all this "final analysis" about Reggie Bush, and knee-jerk reaction to this early season blip. Talk of Barry Sanders, Tony Mandarich..........regret the Saints drafted him, calling for a trade, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah........

I'll tell you whats really happening, from an outsiders point of view. What's really happening is that more than a few Saints fans are exposing themselves as "lightweight" fans of pro football. Success is something new to them, and they're showing their age in the "bigtime" of the NFL by not being able to handle any "bumps in the road". It's amazing to watch this happening. Eight months ago, there was talk of "the beginning of something big" around here. Pundits from coast-to-coast were speaking of the next Niner or Cowboy thing in N.O. The FIRST TIME since this new Saints era that EVERYTHING doesn't go according to Hoyle, and people vanish faster than a set a rims at a rap concert!!
I'm sorry. Far be it for me, new around here and not "family" to come around here scolding and barking. But I'm amazed about the "rats off a sinking ship" mentality of many 'round here. I know this league is a "what have you done for me lately" league. But success in ANY endeavor, not the least of which NFL football, doesn't happen in one moment or year.
I'm sorry to say this, but "Grow UP"!!! It's one thing to be honest about your teams pitfalls and genuinely citing what needs to improve. It's a whole 'nother thing to be calling for Reggie Bush's head and throwing him under the buss one year into his tenure! You gotta' have at LEAST 4-5 years of Bush before you can make an honest and accurate assessment of his value. Certainly not one full year (as a rookie, even) and a few games.
You want to pull a "Farve" like the Falcons did, have at it. If he was a 7 year all-pro, and came to town and underachieved, I could see the criticism and "buyers remorse". But it's WAAAAAAY premature to be hearing some of this "get rid of him" crap.
Keep this up, and you're gonna' have a classic case of a great player with a chip on his shoulder, wanting "OUT" of N.O.
4-5 years for a RB... BS. No 2-3 years sure but not 4-5 that is for WR's. Its not Reggies fault but everyone was so big and thought he was the savior and he is not and never will be. Drafting a player like him isn't the answer. Building a football team where football was ment to be played is and that is Oline and Dline. No one really has a legit gripe at either pinning it all on Reggie or not. The real problem is with everyone trying to make a quick fix for the team and the fix is over and now the real problem shows. The boat is sinking because you didn't build the damn lines. They didn't take the time it takes to draft and build the team the way it was suppose to be built. GET A LINE and you'll be in a lot more games and have more winning seasons that 8 in 40.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 775
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

Euph in previoius posts it was 3-4 years for WR's.

You have to have players like Reggie Bush on your team, that's why the term "game breakers" was invented. Drafting Reggie was not a mistake.

Name an offensive lineman from the 49ers SB era.

Sadly, the Saints have drafted OL and DL. They just aren't very good.
Granted only 3 of our last 8 first round picks have been lineman... But 2 of the last 4 have.

If you want to point to drafts, where is a franchise QB? Where is a top teir CB?
They have not been drafted either.

4 of the last 8 1st round picks by the Patriots have been OL/DL.
Is 1 more lineman that much of and advantage?

4 of Arizona's last 1st round 8 picks were OL/DL.
What is their problem?

All I am saying is don't blame Reggie Bush b/c he was drafted 2nd overall.

The weather is always 72 degrees and perfect, in the Dome
frankeefrank is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,950
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

Originally Posted by frankeefrank View Post
Euph in previoius posts it was 3-4 years for WR's.

You have to have players like Reggie Bush on your team, that's why the term "game breakers" was invented. Drafting Reggie was not a mistake.

Name an offensive lineman from the 49ers SB era.

Sadly, the Saints have drafted OL and DL. They just aren't very good.
Granted only 3 of our last 8 first round picks have been lineman... But 2 of the last 4 have.

If you want to point to drafts, where is a franchise QB? Where is a top teir CB?
They have not been drafted either.

4 of the last 8 1st round picks by the Patriots have been OL/DL.
Is 1 more lineman that much of and advantage?

4 of Arizona's last 1st round 8 picks were OL/DL.
What is their problem?

All I am saying is don't blame Reggie Bush b/c he was drafted 2nd overall.
So going 0-4 is ok with you??? is that ok? That isn't a mistake??? Going backwards instead of forwards is ok?

Come on man to easy... YOu don't need to know who the linemen are the fact that they won many a SB's. Traditionally OL and DL are the most unknown people on the team but they are the ones who win the games. Football is a team sport not a reggie sport. You need other players around to block.

Game Breakers... you don't have game breakers if you have no one to block for them.

I am not saying 100 percent Reggie was a mistake but let me explain it this way... It will take us 2-3 maybe 4 years to build our lines they way they should be. Do you think Brees and Bush will be around and deal with losing seasons until then? Brees will be done as a QB very soon he is going to end up to shell-shocked much like AB. Bush, I don't see it in him being around to long if we continue to miss the mark and not work on the lines, how much patence is he going to have when he can go and make a name for himself in bigger markets and WIN.

Just in case you haven't been paying attention you might want to watch an AZ game. They have scored 63 and they don't have a Reggie. They have one a game this year and they look like they are turning it around. Once there QB develops they are going to be pretty good. Give them some more time.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,950
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Is Reggie Bush the New Tony Mandarich?

One more statement I'd like to make...

"REGGIE BUSH has been a non-factor this year". Give him and offensive line he stands a chance to being a factor.
Euphoria is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts