Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Defensive Scheme

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Perhaps the coaches decided that not giving up big runs to Taylor and Jones-Drew was the primary defensive objective yesterday. Thus they elected to make Gray beat them....

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
Hu Dat!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Defensive Scheme

Perhaps the coaches decided that not giving up big runs to Taylor and Jones-Drew was the primary defensive objective yesterday. Thus they elected to make Gray beat them.
neugey is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,950
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Defensive Scheme

We don't blitz because we can't blitz. The best way to break up a run play... penetration on a blitz. You can blitz on a screen but you have to play disiplined defense which we don't really have. I like some of our personell on D don't get me wrong but I think this is a GREAT POINT the Defense we deploy is CRAP. The whole theroy of bend don't break... we break. Giving up to many big plays. YEAH YEAH be happy we won but you have to be concerend when we play agains the tougher teams that will break us.

I think part of the problem we can only change so much and need to give Payton some time still to build this team... we are still building I am well aware of that and I think a lot of people have to high of expectations for a building team.

We have to get out of that Defense but we just don't have the players yet. We have no true rushers.

E U P H O R I A
Euphoria is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #13
Prediction Pain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,082
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Defensive Scheme

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
We don't blitz because we can't blitz. The best way to break up a run play... penetration on a blitz. You can blitz on a screen but you have to play disiplined defense which we don't really have. I like some of our personell on D don't get me wrong but I think this is a GREAT POINT the Defense we deploy is CRAP. The whole theroy of bend don't break... we break. Giving up to many big plays. YEAH YEAH be happy we won but you have to be concerend when we play agains the tougher teams that will break us.

I think part of the problem we can only change so much and need to give Payton some time still to build this team... we are still building I am well aware of that and I think a lot of people have to high of expectations for a building team.

We have to get out of that Defense but we just don't have the players yet. We have no true rushers.
I've heard the D refered to as break-don't-bend. The thought being roll the dice and try to force a quick possession getting the offense back on the field. I'd say they achieve that, too. You rarely see long, sustained drives against the Saints. It's either 3-and-out or 2-and-score.

We are still building, you're right, but there is a lot of potential on the field now. Couple that with a weak division in (arguably) the weaker conference and there's no reason they can win some games now.

To say there are no true rushers is not true, IMO. Grant is a run stopper, no doubt. I never expected him to have 10+ sacks a season, however, Smith is a true pass rusher (and hasn't signed a big contract yet, IIRC). He's had a slow year, but he's got the game. Call me an apologizer, but I think he's just trying to force it.

"defence's personal to allwats double team or watch is over, that one reason why the saints or not any good." - Vador101
WhoDat205 is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,950
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Defensive Scheme

Originally Posted by WhoDat205 View Post
I've heard the D refered to as break-don't-bend. The thought being roll the dice and try to force a quick possession getting the offense back on the field. I'd say they achieve that, too. You rarely see long, sustained drives against the Saints. It's either 3-and-out or 2-and-score.

We are still building, you're right, but there is a lot of potential on the field now. Couple that with a weak division in (arguably) the weaker conference and there's no reason they can win some games now.

To say there are no true rushers is not true, IMO. Grant is a run stopper, no doubt. I never expected him to have 10+ sacks a season, however, Smith is a true pass rusher (and hasn't signed a big contract yet, IIRC). He's had a slow year, but he's got the game. Call me an apologizer, but I think he's just trying to force it.
I can't argue many of your points there... but to blitz you have to have good complimentary of personell to compliment your so called true pass rusher. If you only have one guy to worry about then thats easy. But you got to have several and no one is stepping up and until Smith does something the verdict will remain out...

There have been long drives but they give up so many big plays there hasn't been a need for long drives.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
Prediction Pain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,082
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Defensive Scheme

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I can't argue many of your points there... but to blitz you have to have good complimentary of personell to compliment your so called true pass rusher. If you only have one guy to worry about then thats easy. But you got to have several and no one is stepping up and until Smith does something the verdict will remain out...

There have been long drives but they give up so many big plays there hasn't been a need for long drives.
No argument here. Generally speaking, the majority of blitzes come from the LBs and ours suck outside of Fuji. I don't think a poster on this site would argue that. The safties are the only guys who have done anything on blitzes.

An interesting stat is we are 7th in firsts downs defensively - meaning our defense has not faced many first downs.

1 Baltimore 94
2 Pittsburgh 103
3 Tennessee 123
4 Oakland 137
5 Kansas City 139
6 Arizona 140
7 New Orleans 141
WhoDat205 is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 758
Re: Defensive Scheme

I'll put it this way...if we're gonna give up a big play anyway, why not send Hell's Minions into the QB's face while we're at it. We may even end up forcing a turnover if we're not careful.
WillMacKenzie is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #17
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,950
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Defensive Scheme

Originally Posted by WhoDat205 View Post
No argument here. Generally speaking, the majority of blitzes come from the LBs and ours suck outside of Fuji. I don't think a poster on this site would argue that. The safties are the only guys who have done anything on blitzes.

An interesting stat is we are 7th in firsts downs defensively - meaning our defense has not faced many first downs.

1 Baltimore 94
2 Pittsburgh 103
3 Tennessee 123
4 Oakland 137
5 Kansas City 139
6 Arizona 140
7 New Orleans 141
The thing about stats can be misleading... You can make them read and say whatever you want them to say. The sobering stats maybe in the W and L column but here is a stat for you...

-we are ranked 23rd as far as points scored against us.
PF - 173 PA - 186 thats minus 13 net points this far into the season.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #18
With an "E"
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Madisonville, LA
Posts: 429
Re: Defensive Scheme

What's wrong with this defense?
#1 Not enough pressure. If we don't send Fujita or Harper or a DB, we always allow the Qb to scan the field and find the open man. If not for Will, we would not have a rush.
#2 Middle LB does not make tackles. Enough said there.
#3 David thinks he is still in Indy
What's right with this defense?
# 1 Playing the run well, with Hollis stuffing, Grant edging and Fujita closing.
# 2 McKensie seems to be the best player (or is this a negative?)
# 3 Offense gets off to a great start and puts the other team in a hole.
Those of you that Tivo'd the first three games, go back and get a piece of that.
Don't eat the cheese!

Seated in the top row of AREA 51?
andersen is offline  
Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #19
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 2,086
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Defensive Scheme

Please delete post.

Last edited by iceshack149; 11-06-2007 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Double post
iceshack149 is offline  
Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #20
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 2,086
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Defensive Scheme

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
We don't blitz because we can't blitz. The best way to break up a run play... penetration on a blitz. You can blitz on a screen but you have to play disiplined defense which we don't really have. I like some of our personell on D don't get me wrong but I think this is a GREAT POINT the Defense we deploy is CRAP. The whole theroy of bend don't break... we break. Giving up to many big plays. YEAH YEAH be happy we won but you have to be concerend when we play agains the tougher teams that will break us.

I think part of the problem we can only change so much and need to give Payton some time still to build this team... we are still building I am well aware of that and I think a lot of people have to high of expectations for a building team.

We have to get out of that Defense but we just don't have the players yet. We have no true rushers.
Good post. I disagree with the last sentence though.I think that Grant is a very good pass rusher. So is Brian Young. Young leads New Orleans with three sacks and is somehow always overlooked.
And people keep asking what's wrong with Will Smith. The guy keeps injuring qb's and that's pretty effective, gruesome or not.
Gray, starting his second game for injured David Garrard (ankle), opened well, but his performance dipped after he sprained his left ankle on a hit by Will Smith early in the second quarter. javascript:lpg("/Multimedia/Photo Galleries/2007/9/Saints vs Titans - September 24.aspx","Saints vs Titans - September 24");

Leftwich was injured when Will Smith and Brian Young sandwiched the quarterback as he released the football. New Orleans Saints - Saints Host Falcons

Will Smith came around the corner to blindside Carr for Smith’s first sack of the season. Carr needed assistance in leaving the field.New Orleans Saints - Saints and Panthers Game Story

And Apparently Renaldo Wynn is good in spot duty with two sacks yesterday.

Another guy that looked good as a rusher in preseason was Troy Evans. Especially in the Bills game.

"...it's good to have friends, no matter where they are."--JOESAM2002
iceshack149 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts