Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Knee apears to be ok. Should be able to start the season. This is a great signing....

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
BS Since 2003!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 11,605
Blog Entries: 5
Re: LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

Knee apears to be ok. Should be able to start the season. This is a great signing.
foreverfan is online now  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,915
Re: Vilma trade official

Originally Posted by cajunasian61 View Post
ESPN - Jets trading Vilma to New Orleans - NFL

I just read this on ESPN. It says its for a 2009 fourth rounder, but could be a 3rd rounder based on Vilma's production. I personally think that sounds like a perfect trade for the Saints if its true.

I've been reading the board for about 4-5 years now. Finally thought I'd post something. I'd thought about it before. So hi everyone.

Just for the the record I was anti-Brooks, hated Haslett, hated Venturi more, I agree with letting Faine go, I think Josh Bullocks is terrible, I am not convinced Reggie is a running back, I think Pierre Thomas will be a stud if they give him a chance, and I would love the Saints to go either DT if Dorsey or Ellis drops, which I don't think they will, so otherwise we should either trade down bc this draft is deep with CBs and LBs, or draft Phillips the S out of Miami. Just my thoughts
Welcome to the board!

I am pumped about this!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, think about it, if we get Fujita, Vilma, and Shanle/Simmons in there, that's already pretty good. Then, if we add another LB via FA or the draft, that's a complete 180. Very excited!
TheDeuce is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
Faqda Falcons
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ruston, Louisiana
Posts: 3,465
Blog Entries: 3
Re: LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

If the knee is healthy, this is a heckuva trade. I was pretty ticked off when we didn't draft Vilma, but I'm satisfied now. I think he can help Fujita elevate his game to another level. Now let's go sign Briggs. That would be one of the most feared LB'ing corps in the NFL.
D_it_up is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Evansville, IN (Where is that?)
Posts: 64
Re: LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

Originally Posted by foreverfan View Post
Knee apears to be ok. Should be able to start the season. This is a great signing.
Well we hope his knee is ok. The best thing about this trade is that the Saints are only giving away a 4th rounder next year if his knee turns out to be bad. We'd probably waste the 4th rounder on a division 3 offensive lineman anyway.

If Vilma turns out to be a stud we only lose a 3rd rounder, which seems like a great deal to me. What worries me is that maybe the Jets gave Vilma away for so cheap because he is hurt worse than we think.
cajunasian61 is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
Cold as Ice!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Da Big Easy
Posts: 2,978
Re: Vilma trade official

Originally Posted by cajunasian61 View Post
ESPN - Jets trading Vilma to New Orleans - NFL

I just read this on ESPN. It says its for a 2009 fourth rounder, but could be a 3rd rounder based on Vilma's production. I personally think that sounds like a perfect trade for the Saints if its true.

I've been reading the board for about 4-5 years now. Finally thought I'd post something. I'd thought about it before. So hi everyone.

Just for the the record I was anti-Brooks, hated Haslett, hated Venturi more, I agree with letting Faine go, I think Josh Bullocks is terrible, I am not convinced Reggie is a running back, I think Pierre Thomas will be a stud if they give him a chance, and I would love the Saints to go either DT if Dorsey or Ellis drops, which I don't think they will, so otherwise we should either trade down bc this draft is deep with CBs and LBs, or draft Phillips the S out of Miami. Just my thoughts

You will make a lot of friends around here after that paragraph, I for one pretty much agree with everything you said. Welcome to the board!!!!
FireVenturi is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,915
Re: LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

Originally Posted by cajunasian61 View Post
Well we hope his knee is ok. The best thing about this trade is that the Saints are only giving away a 4th rounder next year if his knee turns out to be bad. We'd probably waste the 4th rounder on a division 3 offensive lineman anyway.

If Vilma turns out to be a stud we only lose a 3rd rounder, which seems like a great deal to me. What worries me is that maybe the Jets gave Vilma away for so cheap because he is hurt worse than we think.
I don't think that we would trade for the guy if we had any suspicions that he wasn't going to recover. I think that you also have to factor into the equation the fact that Vilma didn't fit into the Jets' scheme and was never going to. Basically, he was dead weight to the Jets, and everybody knew that, so they thought they mine as well get something for him.
TheDeuce is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
Prediction Pain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,082
Blog Entries: 2
Re: LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

You know, I though he had Microfracture surgery. Apparently that is not the case. I'm much happier with this move after hearing that.
WhoDat205 is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
Pink Nightmare
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,027
Blog Entries: 7
Re: LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

I just want one more OLB (RIVERS)!! Then we will have a monster in the brewing.
SapperSaint is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #19
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Evansville, IN (Where is that?)
Posts: 64
Re: LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
I don't think that we would trade for the guy if we had any suspicions that he wasn't going to recover. I think that you also have to factor into the equation the fact that Vilma didn't fit into the Jets' scheme and was never going to. Basically, he was dead weight to the Jets, and everybody knew that, so they thought they mine as well get something for him.
I hope you're right. I thought Vilma was on the wasy to becoming an elite linebacker early in his career. I just feel like we got him awfully cheap.
cajunasian61 is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #20
Faqda Falcons
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ruston, Louisiana
Posts: 3,465
Blog Entries: 3
Re: LB Vilma Officially A Saint - More Excitement

Just read this on ESPN.com. It has some quotes from Vilma and some information from his medical examination he took with the team that make this move even more promising.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3270701
D_it_up is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts