Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

I say skip round 1 all together.

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by ssmitty well speak of the devil, (dallas , that is......) i just read in todays paper that jones may be willing to part with one of those 1st rounders for a proven wide reciever......... can you say, ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,556
Blog Entries: 3
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

Originally Posted by ssmitty View Post
well speak of the devil, (dallas , that is......)
i just read in todays paper that jones may be willing to part with one of those 1st rounders for a proven wide reciever.........
can you say, devery?
Now Devery has skills, but what EXACTLY has he "proven".... Other than the fact that he has stone hands??
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
Boondock Saint
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: F***ing Atlanta
Posts: 302
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I can totally support this. I don't see us getting the greatest value from this year's class unless we are able to snage a top 6 pick with #10. There are to many options that trading back is perhaps the best thing to do... putting it off till next year once we see how the FA's pan out and development of last year's draft works out. We can stock pile picks in next years draft in case the sky falls on us again.

2 first rounders next year, I like it!
I doubt anyone will be willing to trade up to the top 10. However if they guy we want isn't worth the #10 money then just do not pick. Let you time expire and let a couple of other teams go ahead of you and then slide your pick up there whenever you are wanting to take your guy.

I highly doubt this will work and although it sounds good, then the next thing you have is everyone doing this. Plus some jackass agent will be pulling the you wanted my player when it wasyour pick at 10 and you have to pay him 10 money
WhoDatQB is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,942
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

NFL first-round signings - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Once again... money isn't going to be the issue after 7.
papz is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

My 2 Cents -

1. See if we could Trade 1st round picks with NYG in exchange for Shockey

2. Trade #31 pick overall (received from NYG) to Titans for Haynesworth...

Haynesworth & Shockey have contract issues/personal issues with their teams management, and we could benefit from 2 pro-bowl caliber players, and it would only cost us the #10 pick overall...
johnnythesaint13 is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,950
Blog Entries: 5
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

Originally Posted by papz View Post
NFL first-round signings - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Once again... money isn't going to be the issue after 7.
Whats the point? Teams don't want to have to fork over more money on a weak draft class. Its going to be very difficult to find teams that will move up and take someone that maybe isn't worth the money. Some players are going to get paid more than they are worth even if they slide. Its a hard pill this year for teams to swallow, even if the money is an extra 5-6 millions which is a lot.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
Pink Nightmare
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,014
Blog Entries: 7
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

Hagan, I have thought about this very same thing. I really don't see the person we draft this year in the first round being the "Final" brick in the wall, to all our Superbowl run. Very good post Hagan. I sick of all the draft hype. I really wish they would move it up to the 1st weekend in March.
SapperSaint is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #17
The Real Deal
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 174
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

I don't know about skipping the first round this year but hagan is right about next year's class, it will be loaded. It would be nice to have a couple of first rounders next year but we need an impact player this year because I think we're close. Yeah, I said it, we are close!
thesaintsfan is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #18
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 848
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

Nice post..I agree with the OP. This class does seem very over rated , and if your not picking in the top 4, it just doesnt seem worth the money for the position you will draft.
Belair57 is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #19
Problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,942
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Whats the point? Teams don't want to have to fork over more money on a weak draft class. Its going to be very difficult to find teams that will move up and take someone that maybe isn't worth the money. Some players are going to get paid more than they are worth even if they slide. Its a hard pill this year for teams to swallow, even if the money is an extra 5-6 millions which is a lot.
My point was clearly made... I'm not sure I can break it down anymore for you.

No one knows whether this is a "weak" or "overrated" draft class or not... just because it supposely lacks the big name talent, doesn't mean it's going to be weak. Prematurely labeling the draft class weak w/o them even playing a single game doesn't make any sense.
papz is offline  
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #20
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 848
Re: I say skip round 1 all together.

I only say that because I am never right about any player....and I think highly of several this year, that means that they wont be worth jack @#!%
Belair57 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts