Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

NO-ATL Spread

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; According to the current line, the Saints are a 10 point favorite against the Falcons. Some lines have the Saints as much as a 12.5 point favorite. Is this bandwagon jumping or have the dirty birds regressed? Is the Pokes ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
xan
Professor Crab and
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Princeton
Posts: 3,002
Blog Entries: 26
NO-ATL Spread

According to the current line, the Saints are a 10 point favorite against the Falcons. Some lines have the Saints as much as a 12.5 point favorite. Is this bandwagon jumping or have the dirty birds regressed? Is the Pokes bye week trampling of the tired Falcons more indicative of their season or did ATL simply have a bad game?

Sure, the game is at home, and the favored team that has won has covered the spread for the last 5 times. It is worrying that any line in the NFL gets into double digits and more troubling when that particular game is with an arch-enemy.

What is the take on the Falcons this year? Who has seen them and what makes the oddsmakers believe that the Saints win nearly 80% of simulations?

Calvin: "I wish I was a Tiger."
Hobbes: "Common lament."
xan is offline  
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 10-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Cake or Death?
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,479
Re: NO-ATL Spread

One thing of note is that Vegas rarely makes mistakes. They could care less about allegiances to teams. This is why I think that NCAA football should follow Vegas rankings instead of BCS rankings.

So if they say Saints by 10. It is a much better predication than anywhere else you can find. Because to them it is all about making $$$ and not rooting for teams.
exile is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 4,148
Re: NO-ATL Spread

Hey guys, ive watched most of the Falcons games and they seem to be inconsistent, e.g they blasted the 49ers one week, and then buckled against the cowboys. From what ive seen, Michael Turner is not the same guy he was last year.

If we can get a rythm going early we will put ourself in good position, matt ryan had a lot of pressure put on him the cowboys game so lets go greg williams, send the pressure as always!!
dizzle88 is online now  
Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,461
Blog Entries: 27
Re: NO-ATL Spread

WOW ... pretty bold .... but it IS Monday night ... and the Dome will be rocking .. maybe even like the first game after Katrina, the last time the Falclowns did not have a chance. Is U2 schedule to play before the game also?

SmashMouth is online now  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Hu Dat!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,845
Blog Entries: 5
Re: NO-ATL Spread

We've won every game by 10 or more points, Vegas books need to get some of their money back!
neugey is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Prediction Pain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,082
Blog Entries: 2
Re: NO-ATL Spread

We're 6-0 against the spread this season. Gamblers will take notice of that.

And keep in mind, Vegas' objective is not to predict the margin of victory, but to get the bets even on both sides. That's why the spread moves. They want more money on ATL.

This happened two seasons ago when the Pats were blowing everyone out. Eventually the line will over-correct.
WhoDat205 is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,415
Blog Entries: 5
Re: NO-ATL Spread

Originally Posted by WhoDat205 View Post
We're 6-0 against the spread this season. Gamblers will take notice of that.

And keep in mind, Vegas' objective is not to predict the margin of victory, but to get the bets even on both sides. That's why the spread moves. They want more money on ATL.

This happened two seasons ago when the Pats were blowing everyone out. Eventually the line will over-correct.
THIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT!!! Its not that Vegas or anyone knows what they are doing they are trying to keep the money or lop-sided bets breaking the house. If people keep put money on the Saints the spread will go up to get people to put money on the falcons to cover the Saints bets they took in to even out as best they can.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
Cake or Death?
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,479
Re: NO-ATL Spread

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
THIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT!!! Its not that Vegas or anyone knows what they are doing they are trying to keep the money or lop-sided bets breaking the house. If people keep put money on the Saints the spread will go up to get people to put money on the falcons to cover the Saints bets they took in to even out as best they can.
It is not that they know what they are doing more so as they do it with indifference. So you can bet that they try to get the lines as close as possible while trying to also sway bets at the same time. Still leads to more accurate lines imho.
exile is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
xan
Professor Crab and
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Princeton
Posts: 3,002
Blog Entries: 26
Re: NO-ATL Spread

Yes, I understand the theory behind setting the spreads, I'm wondering why the line keeps creeping up. What is it about the perception of those betting that makes people believe that the Saints are 10-12 points better than the Flakeons? They were the division favorites September 1, now, they're scrambling to be part of the wild card discussion. What do we know unconsciously that we should illuminate so that we can explain this?
xan is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Prediction Pain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,082
Blog Entries: 2
Re: NO-ATL Spread

Originally Posted by xan View Post
Yes, I understand the theory behind setting the spreads, I'm wondering why the line keeps creeping up. What is it about the perception of those betting that makes people believe that the Saints are 10-12 points better than the Flakeons? They were the division favorites September 1, now, they're scrambling to be part of the wild card discussion. What do we know unconsciously that we should illuminate so that we can explain this?

We are 6-0 against the number this season. Our closest game this season was a 12 point win. We average 40 ppg.

If I was an unbiased bettor I would be loading the wagons on the Saints until the streak stops.

If this was the opening game of the season, you'd probably see something close to a pick'em or even the Falcs slightly favored.
WhoDat205 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts