Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Advantage Saints!

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I said before the game that I wished the Packers and Cardinals would go into overtime, although it was over so quickly....

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #21
500th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 657
Re: Advantage Saints!

I said before the game that I wished the Packers and Cardinals would go into overtime, although it was over so quickly.
saintsrule is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 2,962
Re: Advantage Saints!

Agree with all the advantages. We will be more ready to take on old Time(r) Warner.

Last edited by UK_WhoDat; 01-11-2010 at 04:41 PM..
UK_WhoDat is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #23
Faqda Falcons
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ruston, Louisiana
Posts: 3,460
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Advantage Saints!

Originally Posted by Belair57 View Post
It can be blamed on injuries, sure, but when a guy goes down, his backup should be able to step in. Ours didnt, that says something. or am i way off. I want to be convinced, tell me honestly if my logic is off, sell me, pleeaaaasee

I think your logic is quite a bit off, actually. When Porter and Greer were healthy and starting, they were a very effective duo. It allowed Sharper to rove the field and be there for the big interceptions. Harper's number was called a lot on blitzes and run support. Turnovers were created, because the defensive schemes were a lot more aggressive.

When Porter and Greer were injured, that left the Saints starting an untested rookie who had his good moments, but should really be regulated to a nickel or dime role, at best. The third best corner on the team, Randall Gay, was battling injuries of his own (hamstring, concussion). Mike McKenzie played well in an inspired first game back against the Pats, but regressed in later games. The cornerback depth was exposed, so linebackers were having to aid against the pass more, and Sharper and Harper were having to play out of position to make up for the deficiencies at corner. Blitzing decreased and this allowed the Saints to be picked apart on the pass and bowled over on the run. As I posted in another thread, the return of both Porter and Greer in the secondary is going to be a major factor in the Saints' defense returning to their early season form.

I understand your concern, because the defense did look pretty horrendous in the last several games after the Patriots game. However, I think we may all be in for a pleasant surprise this Saturday. Look for Gregg Williams to unleash the hounds and put constant pressure on Kurt Warner the majority of the game.
D_it_up is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #24
Faqda Falcons
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ruston, Louisiana
Posts: 3,460
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Advantage Saints!

Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Saints do have an advantage by having long rest to get players healthy, but I mean freaking Warner was on fire today, and there is no reason to expect him to cool down any. Especially with the rumor going around that this is his last season. Dude is very motivated to try and go out on top.
His possibility of retirement can also put a mental toll on Warner. Sure, he lit it up against the beleaguered Green Bay secondary, but he may have given his best effort for what could have possibly been his last game played at home in Arizona. Warner is a great QB, but he also can be hit or miss. Here's to hoping that he misses by a mile on Saturday.
D_it_up is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #25
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 841
Re: Advantage Saints!

I hope your right D it up..Im just going to have to see it to believe it I guess
Belair57 is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 1,788
Re: Advantage Saints!

Originally Posted by Belair57 View Post
I hope your right D it up..Im just going to have to see it to believe it I guess
He's right. I agree to a T with everything he said.
AsylumGuido is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #27
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 841
Re: Advantage Saints!

Originally Posted by D_it_up View Post
I think your logic is quite a bit off, actually. When Porter and Greer were healthy and starting, they were a very effective duo. It allowed Sharper to rove the field and be there for the big interceptions. Harper's number was called a lot on blitzes and run support. Turnovers were created, because the defensive schemes were a lot more aggressive.

When Porter and Greer were injured, that left the Saints starting an untested rookie who had his good moments, but should really be regulated to a nickel or dime role, at best. The third best corner on the team, Randall Gay, was battling injuries of his own (hamstring, concussion). Mike McKenzie played well in an inspired first game back against the Pats, but regressed in later games. The cornerback depth was exposed, so linebackers were having to aid against the pass more, and Sharper and Harper were having to play out of position to make up for the deficiencies at corner. Blitzing decreased and this allowed the Saints to be picked apart on the pass and bowled over on the run. As I posted in another thread, the return of both Porter and Greer in the secondary is going to be a major factor in the Saints' defense returning to their early season form.

I understand your concern, because the defense did look pretty horrendous in the last several games after the Patriots game. However, I think we may all be in for a pleasant surprise this Saturday. Look for Gregg Williams to unleash the hounds and put constant pressure on Kurt Warner the majority of the game.
Im buying it. It sounds great. I guess my only other concern would be them not playing together for such a long time?? You guys dont think its a concern? You think they can pick up where they left off, and Sharper picks up where he left off? I like what you say, it makes me rethink where I stand as far as being confident.
Belair57 is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #28
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 19
Re: Advantage Saints!

belair you needa relax!
WhoDatDieHard is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #29
Faqda Falcons
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ruston, Louisiana
Posts: 3,460
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Advantage Saints!

Originally Posted by Belair57 View Post
Im buying it. It sounds great. I guess my only other concern would be them not playing together for such a long time?? You guys dont think its a concern? You think they can pick up where they left off, and Sharper picks up where he left off? I like what you say, it makes me rethink where I stand as far as being confident.
I honestly think that the time off was needed....from an injury and a mental standpoint. Winning the first 13 games was huge, and they had to endure the pressure of a possible undefeated season from our own fans and the nation. The loss to the Cowboys could have been a blessing in disguise. The Bucs loss was uncalled for, but it looks like they put it on cruise control after the first quarter and it came back to haunt them. Not playing Brees and a lot of the starters against Carolina was a good call. They basically came out of the game injury-free. I know this may sound like a lot of excuses, but this is my logic and I stick to it. lol

Having said that, we probably won't see the same Saints as we saw in their three losses. This is the playoffs. It is a new season, a new mentality, and a new attitude. I think they all understand that 13 regular season wins is irrelevant. They HAVE to play up and be ready for this game, because they know the consequences if they don't. There is no practice the next day. There is no preparation for the next opponent. There is no tomorrow. Coach Payton will have every single player believing that.
D_it_up is offline  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #30
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 1,788
Re: Advantage Saints!

Originally Posted by Belair57 View Post
Im buying it. It sounds great. I guess my only other concern would be them not playing together for such a long time?? You guys dont think its a concern? You think they can pick up where they left off, and Sharper picks up where he left off? I like what you say, it makes me rethink where I stand as far as being confident.
Actually, someone asked Greer that exact thing and he basically said that there will be no problem with all of them not having played as a unit since they all know their jobs and when they perform their jobs the whole defense will function just as it had.
AsylumGuido is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts