Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

2010 NFL Draft

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Odrick in the first and Chad Jones in the second wouldn't be bad!...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #81
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,465
Blog Entries: 27
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Odrick in the first and Chad Jones in the second wouldn't be bad!
SmashMouth is offline  
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #82
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,473
Blog Entries: 12
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

I am looking forward to seeing Hughes at the combine...
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #83
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,144
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
1 story coming out of college ruins a guys draft status and "experts" look at it as laziness or immaturity

vontae davis started for the dolphins this season.....but most of the fans on this board didnt want him because he acted out or some other bs they came up with

cody is a talented player......he proved it in his college career and he proved it at the senior bowl even tho he was 15-20 lbs overweight

when he shows up at the combine and realizes that he cant play like that do you really think he is going to be that 15-20 lbs overweight?

i wouldnt be surprised if he is a little under 250 when he shows up at the combine......when you lose money, even if it is theoretical, you either crawl in a hole or work it out.......cody is a baller and he'll show up to play
If he shows up at 250 Lbs that would be quite the surprise.

Nevertheless, I don't want a player on my team that is motivated entirely by the money to drop weight. So what happens when he gets the money in his pocket like Tub Ass Sullivan. He has no more incentive to stay in shape. No thanks. Vonte Davis had character issues, not weight issues. With a veteran team like the Saints I will take a flyer on a player with exceptional skills and MINOR character issues over a player who has shown he can't keep his weight under 360 LBS. Those players don't last in this league.

Last edited by stockman311; 02-24-2010 at 10:03 AM..
stockman311 is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #84
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by stockman311 View Post
If he shows up at 250 Lbs that would be quite the surprise.

Nevertheless, I don't want a player on my team that is motivated entirely by the money to drop weight. So what happens when he gets the money in his pocket like Tub Ass Sullivan. He has no more incentive to stay in shape. No thanks. Vonte Davis had character issues, not weight issues. With a veteran team like the Saints I will take a flyer on a player with exceptional skills and MINOR character issues over a player who has shown he can't keep his weight under 360 LBS. Those players don't last in this league.
he wasnt motivated by money in college but he dominated in every game he played

every player has a downside or something negative about them but its about looking at the upside

cody played hard and well in college and he was considered overweight by many people......but maybe he is just a giant person......people are slowly getting taller and heavier and cody might just be the jim brown of the era.

im not sure where you get the idea that he cant keep his weight under 360......he didnt play at 360 in college......only at the senior bowl did he show up out of shape because the season was over....and he still played well

football players get motivated by playing the game, not getting the paycheck.....my point was that after he realizes his job is to play football and be good at football he will continue to strive for success.

2 or 3 players in a 44 year history of a team is enough to prevent a team from picking a talented player that could dominate for his entire career? i dont think so

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #85
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,144
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

In a 4-3, the nose tackle isn't two-gapping. He's asked to shoot through the gap and penetrate the backfield. As a defensive tackle gets older, he loses the ability to run. In a 3-4, the nose tackle is more of a wrestler. Strength is more important than leg speed for a two-gapping nose tackle.
This is the reason that Cody will not be a Saint next year. I really don't know how else to explain this to you.
Also, Saints opponents are always playing from behind because our offense is so good. Therefore, we need DT's that can rush the passer, which Cody cannot do. It's a new NFL Canton. Stopping the run and running the ball are the old school way of winning. Rushing the passer, passing the ball, and defending the pass are the new school way. The pick will be DE, DT with rush capabilities or Athletic OLB that can defend the pass. Think Sean Witherspoon.

Last edited by stockman311; 02-24-2010 at 04:40 PM..
stockman311 is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #86
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,473
Blog Entries: 12
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by stockman311 View Post
The pick will be DE, DT with rush capabilities or Athletic OLB that can defend the pass.
If need determines the pick, then yes...
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #87
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by stockman311 View Post
In a 4-3, the nose tackle isn't two-gapping. He's asked to shoot through the gap and penetrate the backfield. As a defensive tackle gets older, he loses the ability to run. In a 3-4, the nose tackle is more of a wrestler. Strength is more important than leg speed for a two-gapping nose tackle.
This is the reason that Cody will not be a Saint next year. I really don't know how else to explain this to you.
Also, Saints opponents are always playing from behind because our offense is so good. Therefore, we need DT's that can rush the passer, which Cody cannot do. It's a new NFL Canton. Stopping the run and running the ball are the old school way of winning. Rushing the passer, passing the ball, and defending the pass are the new school way. The pick will be DE, DT with rush capabilities or Athletic OLB that can defend the pass. Think Sean Witherspoon.
guess what defense we played the majority of the super bowl......go ahead....i'll give you awhile to guess

let me give you a hint....it wasnt the 4-3
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #88
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,473
Blog Entries: 12
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
guess what defense we played the majority of the super bowl......go ahead....i'll give you awhile to guess

let me give you a hint....it wasnt the 4-3
It was the "we-going-be-all-up-in-that-@$$-and-make-you-colts-our-personal-kid-hand-puppet-defense?!?"
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #89
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by stockman311 View Post
In a 4-3, the nose tackle isn't two-gapping. He's asked to shoot through the gap and penetrate the backfield. As a defensive tackle gets older, he loses the ability to run. In a 3-4, the nose tackle is more of a wrestler. Strength is more important than leg speed for a two-gapping nose tackle.
This is the reason that Cody will not be a Saint next year. I really don't know how else to explain this to you.
alright times up......in most 4-3 defenses they have smaller DTs that rush the passer because they rely so heavily on a 4 man rush by the down linemen.......however, the saints defense blitzed nearly 50% of all the snaps they were on the field this season. 2nd in the league in blitzes

many of our blitzes were picked up because our defensive linemen were not able to control more than 1 blocker at a time which is the sole assignment for a true NT. Cody demands more double teams than any other defensive lineman in college because of his size alone, not to mention his freakish agility for being so big.

It's a new NFL Canton. Stopping the run and running the ball are the old school way of winning.
for the most part you're right. but we play 6 games against teams in our own division. the same division that houses the 7th, 10th, and 14th best running backs in the league. now maybe stopping the run doesnt matter to the average fan because it doesnt score as effectively as passing, but teams that ran the ball controlled the pace against us

look at teams like the rams, panthers, falcons, dolphins, and cowboys

running may not win games like it used to, but it sure as hell keeps our offense off the field

Rushing the passer, passing the ball, and defending the pass are the new school way. The pick will be DE, DT with rush capabilities or Athletic OLB that can defend the pass. Think Sean Witherspoon.
an OLB? to start over who? fujita? shanle? arnoux? dunbar? evans?

which LB are we going to replace? and why would we want to replace starters like fujita or shanle when we have bigger issues like NT and DE

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #90
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,473
Blog Entries: 12
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Look, you eval the best player available...

We've a great coach and coaching staff that unlike the Mora Years, they will devise the best scheme around the talent we have...

And not lament that we don't have a two-gap defensive end that can provide pass coverage and kick extra points...

But we've got to draft talent that loves the game (i.e. Hughes)...

That's all I am saying, my brothers...
jeanpierre is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/25015-2010-nfl-draft.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 04-28-2010 11:02 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts