Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

New Stadium?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 Upgrades were made post-Katrina to bring the Dome into the millennium. What' so wrong with "one of the toughest places to play in the NFL"? Nothing. Its in a great location. It's loud. It has seats, ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #41
Team Doctor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Deep South
Posts: 856
Re: New Stadium?

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
Upgrades were made post-Katrina to bring the Dome into the millennium.

What' so wrong with "one of the toughest places to play in the NFL"?

Nothing.

Its in a great location. It's loud. It has seats, food, drinks, bathrooms, etc...

I don't see the need.
They need to redesign the bathrooms.
poydras is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #42
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,108
Re: New Stadium?

I know Smashmouth has a point and others about a new facility.

N.O. and the state has had so many wrong, half-ass things, but the Superdome was one the really good things. The SD still looks good. Now, I have not been to other NFL stadiums, so yeah, I don't know what the rest look like. I will assume the SD is still one of the better sports/concerts places.

By the time a SD is built, price could be about 2 billion-imploding old one, building new one, time away for team to play some where else.

Yeah, where else could a new SD be built but where the old one is.
SD has the Hornets/concert N.O. Arena. These two places together really are a good thing.

Bienville, ghetto land on the outer edge of the Quarters, is dangerous.
SD is safe to walk around because it has a busy main streets, Poydras , there. Harrahs is right up the street.
The down ramp coming from Met. is alright to drive down and the ramp going up to go to Met and that way is right there.
N.O. Shopping Center , which was really a booming shopping center, downtown for tourists and locals, office place, etc. a little before Kartina. It will come back.

Algiers, I personally would hate the new Orleans Saints to be at any address other than New Orleans, LA.
Algiers is not around any tourists destinations. Traffic on the bridge is the only way in/out and it is tight on a regular weekday.
Other NFL teams like NY Giants ,Jets don't really belong to NY. I never got with that. Why not officially change the name to NewJersey Giants, New Jersey Jets?
There are many points from both sides, but I like SD as it is, where it is.

Last edited by OldMaid; 02-14-2010 at 12:15 PM..
OldMaid is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #43
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 21,584
Blog Entries: 29
Re: New Stadium?

Originally Posted by OldMaid View Post
I know Smashmouth has a point and others about a new facility.

N.O. and the state has had so many wrong, half-ass things, but the Superdome was one the really good things. The SD still looks good. Now, I have not been to other NFL stadiums, so yeah, I don't know what the rest look like. I will assume the SD is still one of the better sports/concerts places.

By the time a SD is built, price could be about 2 billion-imploding old one, building new one, time away for team.



Bienville, ghetto land on the outer edge of the Quarters, dangerous.

Precisely why you want to bulldoze and redevelop guettoland... it won't be ghettoland after the new SD .... and also why you can't wait too long due to price increase in building costs.
SmashMouth is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #44
Team Doctor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Deep South
Posts: 856
Re: New Stadium?

I have to say that I like the SuperDome. All they really need to do is reconfigure the plaza level for football instead of being multi-purpose and do some upgrades and it will last another decade. Besides; it took us 44 years to break the curse on the SuperDome and now you want to move?!?!
poydras is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #45
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,731
Re: New Stadium?

The Superdome has a mayor advantage over all other football venues: it is sitting in the middle of a city that's built for and used to handle huge crowds in a small area, and has a whole array of entertainment services around it.

Stadiums like Jones Mahal which are basically a huge mall with a football field in the middle don't have any real competition for all of their extra amenities, whereas any amenity you can add to the Superdome would have to compete with the French Quarter and the casinos. When you go to the Superdome, you are not trapped in a huge area surrounded by a huge parking lot, as the Dome is pretty much within walking distance of everything Downtown NO has to offer.

Same with Superbowls: NO gets awarded Superbowls not because they have a state of the art stadium, but because the city can handle the crowds.

Also, moving the Dome from the CBD would negatively affect many businesses in the CBD.

So, just renovate the Dome if need be, and see what's up in 15 years..

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #46
VIP~~Drunken Clam
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quahog
Posts: 422
Re: New Stadium?

I wish theyd put JazzFest in the Dome also. I cant drink right in the heat.
Nemesis is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #47
100th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 232
Re: New Stadium?

I don't think we need to get a new stadium, but those seats (except the loge 200 level) NEED TO GO!!!

It can't cost more than a couple of million to put in modern seats into that place ... At-least do that! I agree with most everyone else --- The Dome is BAD ASS ... We don't need to be "like everyone else" ... We just need a few modifications.
C17-BING is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #48
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,557
Blog Entries: 3
Re: New Stadium?

Originally Posted by Sir Psycho Sexy View Post
I like our Dome!
Me too!!

Originally Posted by poydras View Post
They need to redesign the bathrooms.
Yeah, those are some stanky-azz bathrooms!


Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
The Superdome has a mayor advantage over all other football venues: it is sitting in the middle of a city that's built for and used to handle huge crowds in a small area, and has a whole array of entertainment services around it.

Stadiums like Jones Mahal which are basically a huge mall with a football field in the middle don't have any real competition for all of their extra amenities, whereas any amenity you can add to the Superdome would have to compete with the French Quarter and the casinos. When you go to the Superdome, you are not trapped in a huge area surrounded by a huge parking lot, as the Dome is pretty much within walking distance of everything Downtown NO has to offer.

Same with Superbowls: NO gets awarded Superbowls not because they have a state of the art stadium, but because the city can handle the crowds.

Also, moving the Dome from the CBD would negatively affect many businesses in the CBD.

So, just renovate the Dome if need be, and see what's up in 15 years..

Exactly.
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #49
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 12,505
Blog Entries: 23
Re: New Stadium?

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
What' so wrong with "one of the toughest places to play in the NFL"?

Nothing.

Its in a great location. It's loud. It has seats, food, drinks, bathrooms, etc...

I don't see the need.
Great speech Bluto, cue the music...

Originally Posted by poydras View Post
With stadiums running in the $1.5 BILLION range, yes, with a "B", it's not going to happen.
And with liberal celebrities concentrating on the Lower Wards and not bringing in working people (tax base), where will the real support come? much less recovery?

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
NO gets awarded Superbowls not because they have a state of the art stadium, but because...
I know, No open container restrictions! Great Food! The French Quarter!

Originally Posted by poydras View Post
They need to redesign the bathrooms.
Ah memories of aborted handwashing as a Yat stands next to you and urinates in the basin...

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
Let's hope this new mayor can do something.
Landrieu?!? WTF?!? Are you kidding? You made your argument in the first paragraph and destroyed it with the second; you, sir, should run against Mitchy next time! I'll be your campaign manager and we will win!

Originally Posted by C17-BING View Post
I don't think we need to get a new stadium, but those seats (except the loge 200 level) NEED TO GO!!!

It can't cost more than a couple of million to put in modern seats into that place ...
There once was a man named Sherman Copeland...

Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I wish theyd put JazzFest in the Dome also. I cant drink right in the heat.
Boudreaux, is dat you?

Originally Posted by poydras View Post
I have to say that I like the SuperDome. All they really need to do is reconfigure the plaza level for football instead of being multi-purpose and do some upgrades and it will last another decade. Besides; it took us 44 years to break the curse on the SuperDome and now you want to move?!?!
Great summation...your honor, the defense rests...now for a Pat O'Brien Specialty DrinK!

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #50
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,557
Blog Entries: 3
Re: New Stadium?

Good to see you back JP.

Oh, and both weekends of Jazzfest are in April this year - hopefully a much cooler April than May.
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts