New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   We are in for a new backup it seems (http://blackandgold.com/saints/25963-we-new-backup-seems.html)

voodooido 04-09-2010 10:21 AM

We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports the New Orleans Saints are working out unrestricted free-agent QB Josh McCown (Panthers) and QB Patrick Ramsey (Lions) Thursday, April 8, according to a source.


I like both of them more then Brunell.

ArmySaintFan 04-09-2010 10:28 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
What happened to the kid...Chase Daniel?? is he not ready to the #2 spot yet or did we release him?

voodooido 04-09-2010 11:17 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
He is still around. I see him being a 3rd string for a couple more years.

WVSaint 04-09-2010 11:20 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
I think I'd rather have Bulger, he has way more experience should we need him for a game or two.

Turbo Saint 04-09-2010 12:27 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
bulger would be the best...but either one is whatever, but definitely better than old man run-outta-bounds-brunnell.

the-commish 04-09-2010 12:39 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
What's the deal with Marc Bulger anyway?

Have not heard anything on that front since the Rams let him go. Seems to me some team would want to at least have a look at him, that is, if he is not still injured, and can pass a physical.

Bulger would definitely be an upgrade over Brunell. So would McCown, and they are both much younger than Brunell.

homerj07 04-09-2010 01:48 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Is Bulger still hurt? If not physically, mentally??

CantonLegend 04-09-2010 02:02 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
everybody is still hatin on brunell but he is still our best option

saintfan 04-09-2010 02:22 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CantonLegend (Post 217495)
everybody is still hatin on brunell but he is still our best option

I agree 100%.

D_it_up 04-09-2010 02:29 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CantonLegend (Post 217495)
everybody is still hatin on brunell but he is still our best option

Only because he knows the system. It sure isn't because of his physical tools.

saintsfan601 04-09-2010 04:20 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CantonLegend (Post 217495)
everybody is still hatin on brunell but he is still our best option

I disagree completely with that statement.We CANNOT win with Burnell.He can't hit the broadside of a barn to save his life.Much less a wide open receiver.

D_it_up 04-09-2010 05:09 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsfan601 (Post 217515)
I disagree completely with that statement.We CANNOT win with Burnell.He can't hit the broadside of a barn to save his life.Much less a wide open receiver.

200% agree. This was a typo, at first. Was supposed to be just 100%, but I left it there, because I agree twice.

realheavyd 04-09-2010 07:55 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Why is everyone so quick to want to replace Brunell anyway? I would much rather have Brunell for another year or two than any of those other guys, myself.

Did none of y'all see him play in last year's pre-season games like I did? He ripped it up in the second half against the Bengals (9/13 for 128 yards and 1 TD) in game 1 as well as versus the Texans (5/6 for 96 yards) in game 2. He did stink it up a little bit in the big 45-7 blowout of the Raiders (4/13 for 86 yards and 2 interceptions) in game 3 and only played fair in the short time that he was in against the Dolphins game (3/5 for 66 yards and a pick) in game 4.

I guess y'all are thinking he's done because he was such an apparent non-factor in the final game of the year against the Panthers, huh? If you think Sean Payton even tried to win that game, you are sadly mistaken. If he wanted to win that game with Brunell, it would have happened. I can guarantee you that much...

Think about it. Where else are you going to find a guy with his level of experience to play back-up to the great Drew Brees and be willing to do whatever else that it takes (holding for kicks included) to help make the team successful for under $2million a year like he does for the Saints?

I am willing to bet that he doesn't go anywhere. The Jets will probably wind up signing Jason Taylor and no other teams will come looking at Brunell after that option fades away. That's my bet, anyway.

QBREES9 04-09-2010 09:17 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
I bet Bulger goes the the kitty cats.

saintsfan601 04-10-2010 01:59 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by QBREES9 (Post 217573)
I bet Bulger goes the the kitty cats.

Hope not.I think Bulger still has alot left in the tank.The Rams were all about Stephen Jackson last year.He had nobody to throw the ball to.Would not want to face him twice a year.

CantonLegend 04-10-2010 03:52 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_it_up (Post 217501)
Only because he knows the system. It sure isn't because of his physical tools.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsfan601 (Post 217515)
I disagree completely with that statement.We CANNOT win with Burnell.He can't hit the broadside of a barn to save his life.Much less a wide open receiver.

again.....watch the highlights of him in preseason.....he put the ball on the money several times and even kept meachem in stride on some very nice deep balls.......something drew even struggles to do

D_it_up 04-10-2010 10:51 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CantonLegend (Post 217612)
again.....watch the highlights of him in preseason.....he put the ball on the money several times and even kept meachem in stride on some very nice deep balls.......something drew even struggles to do


Again...watch the last two preseason games he played in. He was barely better than Joey Harrington.

ScottF 04-10-2010 12:31 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Preseason? Didn't he suck in the last game of the regular season?

I don't think our system would be too difficult for an experienced qb to learn.
Plus I have never liked having a lefty backup

bottom line, we all know we can't do much without brees. I just don't think Brunell gives us a chance to win

CantonLegend 04-10-2010 01:19 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_it_up (Post 217637)
Again...watch the last two preseason games he played in. He was barely better than Joey Harrington.

thin line between good and great

he doesnt have to be a stud.....just good enough to win us games

and we've already beaten the horse on the last regular season game

i think there were too many backups against a top defense and others think that doesnt matter because he practiced with backups all season

Tobias-Reiper 04-10-2010 01:40 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
.. forget about playing QB... who's holding for Hartley?

mikesaintfan 04-10-2010 05:57 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
IDK...I do wish Brunnel was right handed; and how old is he by the way?

D_it_up 04-10-2010 11:44 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CantonLegend (Post 217647)
thin line between good and great

he doesnt have to be a stud.....just good enough to win us games

and we've already beaten the horse on the last regular season game

i think there were too many backups against a top defense and others think that doesnt matter because he practiced with backups all season

You think the horse has been beaten about the last regular season game, but you think he has tools because of two good preseason games? Seriously? Come on, man. Give me a break. If you want to go that route, I'll go with you for some of the way. Yeah, he had two good preseason games. This is where I go in a different direction. He had two horrible preseason games to follow that up. HORRIBLE. Neither of us know if he is good enough to win games for us. We can only go by what we have seen. I don't know what you've been watching from him, but from what I've seen, he wouldn't be able to get the job done. Plus, I find it hilarious that when I said he couldn't be a starter on any team in a previous thread, you questioned it and starting naming off teams. Then, didn't you say in another thread that he would be a back-up anywhere he went?

D_it_up 04-10-2010 11:48 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesaintfan (Post 217682)
IDK...I do wish Brunnel was right handed; and how old is he by the way?

He will be 40 in September.

CantonLegend 04-11-2010 06:53 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_it_up (Post 217701)
You think the horse has been beaten about the last regular season game, but you think he has tools because of two good preseason games? Seriously? Come on, man. Give me a break. If you want to go that route, I'll go with you for some of the way. Yeah, he had two good preseason games. This is where I go in a different direction. He had two horrible preseason games to follow that up. HORRIBLE. Neither of us know if he is good enough to win games for us. We can only go by what we have seen. I don't know what you've been watching from him, but from what I've seen, he wouldn't be able to get the job done. Plus, I find it hilarious that when I said he couldn't be a starter on any team in a previous thread, you questioned it and starting naming off teams. Then, didn't you say in another thread that he would be a back-up anywhere he went?

no

leilung 04-11-2010 06:57 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Easy fix.

Keep Brunnell another year.
Then draft a kid in the 3rd round and start his Jedi training under the Master (#9) NOW!

SmashMouth 04-11-2010 08:54 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leilung (Post 217718)
Easy fix.

Keep Brunnell another year.
Then draft a kid in the 3rd round and start his Jedi training under the Master (#9) NOW!

Does that mean we get Colt McCoy in the third?

saintsfan1976 04-11-2010 08:58 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
nevermind

D_it_up 04-11-2010 09:46 AM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_it_up (Post 217701)
You think the horse has been beaten about the last regular season game, but you think he has tools because of two good preseason games? Seriously? Come on, man. Give me a break. If you want to go that route, I'll go with you for some of the way. Yeah, he had two good preseason games. This is where I go in a different direction. He had two horrible preseason games to follow that up. HORRIBLE. Neither of us know if he is good enough to win games for us. We can only go by what we have seen. I don't know what you've been watching from him, but from what I've seen, he wouldn't be able to get the job done. Plus, I find it hilarious that when I said he couldn't be a starter on any team in a previous thread, you questioned it and starting naming off teams. Then, didn't you say in another thread that he would be a back-up anywhere he went?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantonLegend (Post 217716)
no

Busted. Yes, you did. Great job contradicting yourself yet again. You either need to step away from the reefer, because you are forgetting what you post, or you need to pass it over to me so I can see what you do on how the hell Mark Brunell still has anything left.

http://blackandgold.com/saints/25924...ell-today.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantonLegend (Post 217716)
i like brunell

hes goin to be a backup wherever he goes but id rather him back up drew because he knows the system and would do fine filling in for spot duty


CantonLegend 04-11-2010 04:01 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_it_up (Post 217753)
Busted. Yes, you did. Great job contradicting yourself yet again. You either need to step away from the reefer, because you are forgetting what you post, or you need to pass it over to me so I can see what you do on how the hell Mark Brunell still has anything left.

http://blackandgold.com/saints/25924...ell-today.html

aw i suck. i guess you're better by default

neugey 04-11-2010 06:00 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper (Post 217650)
.. forget about playing QB... who's holding for Hartley?

I agree, Brunell has very quietly done a nice job as holder. Would need to address this issue if Brunell leaves. I know Drew could do it, but do you want to risk him?

ScottF 04-11-2010 08:43 PM

Re: We are in for a new backup it seems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by neugey (Post 217793)
I agree, Brunell has very quietly done a nice job as holder.

agreed, except on fakes.

Morstead and Hartley could be here together a long time. Time to buddy up.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com