Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Stop the Run!

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by CantonLegend like i said....the offense is great but..... what have they done to convince you the defense is cured? and medical history? Don't evade you premise and assertion! "Please provide any previous post (other than my previous ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #41
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,673
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
like i said....the offense is great but.....

what have they done to convince you the defense is cured?

and medical history?
Don't evade you premise and assertion!

"Please provide any previous post (other than my previous comment) or evidence of this statement; "you were one of the people that blew my opinion of cody way out of proportion".

To answer your ?. Another year under GW and his D scheme will have an impact. I beieve this is a major point you may be overlooking. You have to admit injuries last year hurt a great deal. The Saints started off in the top 10 in D I believe and then the injuries. Ellis was hurt and out, what 3 or 4 games?

We have added both Brown and Wilkerson at DE. Grant is gone. Both of these are IMPROVEMENTS. I think the current vets at DT can make it happen. Add Woods to the mix and I think both the DLC and Williams will kick his butt in shape or to the curb! My bet...in shape! Lastly, I am not sure Loomis and Payton are finished at DT. Cuts are coming and 1 year contracts are in vogue right now.

As you stated, LB situation/solution is in the house.

Unlike you, I have trust in Loomis, Payton, and the scouts.

Now I am waiting for you evidence.

Let the rant continue.

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over, over, and over again...and expecting a different outcome!
biloxi-indian is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #42
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
Don't evade you premise and assertion!

"Please provide any previous post (other than my previous comment) or evidence of this statement; "you were one of the people that blew my opinion of cody way out of proportion".
lol your one of those guys that says...."oh yea.....find me an example" then when i do....."oh yea well i bet you cant find another one" lmao

you responded to me solely because you believe im obsessed with terrence cody.....im not.....im obsessed with the thought of stopping the run right now....cody fit the bill.....so did a lot of other DTs

To answer your ?. Another year under GW and his D scheme will have an impact. I beieve this is a major point you may be overlooking. You have to admit injuries last year hurt a great deal. The Saints started off in the top 10 in D I believe and then the injuries. Ellis was hurt and out, what 3 or 4 games?
sure and we went undefeated the first 13 weeks but didnt end up undefeated.....we didnt have a top run defense because we couldnt stop it.....now pass defense......yep, sharper, greer, porter, and harper.....they can play the pass when we know the other team is gonna pass the ball

however.....even early we gave up lots of yardage on the ground

We have added both Brown and Wilkerson at DE. Grant is gone. Both of these are IMPROVEMENTS.
alex brown....48 tackles....6 sacks

jimmy wilkerson.....46 tackles..6 sacks

charles grant.....44 tackles......6 sacks

upgrade? where?

I think the current vets at DT can make it happen.
they didnt last year.....the only DT we lost was clancy and hes not even on the roster now.....so whos the big bad DT thats gonna step up?

Add Woods to the mix and I think both the DLC and Williams will kick his butt in shape or to the curb! My bet...in shape!
i love the optimism......not opposed to it......but the last late round DT we picked up.....pressley....is pretty worthless....maybe we overexaggerate the success of our coaching staff and front office in the late rounds? and again.....no success in the later rounds on defense yet

Lastly, I am not sure Loomis and Payton are finished at DT. Cuts are coming and 1 year contracts are in vogue right now.
sure.....lets talk about the future.....lets talk about bringing in another DT from cuts to compete with the other 7 guys plus the UDFAs we brought in

who are we going to bring in that isnt good enough to make another teams roster that will stop the run for us?

Now I am waiting for you evidence.

Let the rant continue.
what evidence? and the rant you keep talking about? not really a rant....you keep responding....so i further prove my point....then you respond again....and i make my point even clearer

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #43
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,673
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
lol your one of those guys that says...."oh yea.....find me an example" then when i do....."oh yea well i bet you cant find another one" lmao

you responded to me solely because you believe im obsessed with terrence cody.....im not.....im obsessed with the thought of stopping the run right now....cody fit the bill.....so did a lot of other DTs



sure and we went undefeated the first 13 weeks but didnt end up undefeated.....we didnt have a top run defense because we couldnt stop it.....now pass defense......yep, sharper, greer, porter, and harper.....they can play the pass when we know the other team is gonna pass the ball

however.....even early we gave up lots of yardage on the ground



alex brown....48 tackles....6 sacks

jimmy wilkerson.....46 tackles..6 sacks

charles grant.....44 tackles......6 sacks

upgrade? where?



they didnt last year.....the only DT we lost was clancy and hes not even on the roster now.....so whos the big bad DT thats gonna step up?



i love the optimism......not opposed to it......but the last late round DT we picked up.....pressley....is pretty worthless....maybe we overexaggerate the success of our coaching staff and front office in the late rounds? and again.....no success in the later rounds on defense yet



sure.....lets talk about the future.....lets talk about bringing in another DT from cuts to compete with the other 7 guys plus the UDFAs we brought in

who are we going to bring in that isnt good enough to make another teams roster that will stop the run for us?



what evidence? and the rant you keep talking about? not really a rant....you keep responding....so i further prove my point....then you respond again....and i make my point even clearer
The only thing clear is you made a statement you cannot back-up. Don't change the subject. Provide one bit of evidence (other than my comment in this thread re; cody) where I was "one of the people that blew my opinion of cody way out of proportion". It points to your inability to be credibile. Again you have no evidence I am "one of those guys" who has or will bait you. The fact is; you made an assertion that you cannot back-up and hopes it goes away. If I am wrong, prove it!

You cannot find evidence as it does not exist. You can't find it. Face it and admit it.

Since, in your opinion, we don't have another DT alongside Ellis to stop the run, what would you do? The draft is over and you did not have a vote on the picks! I will send your suggestions to Loomis, Payton, and Williams...I am sure they are anxiously awaiting your direction as to what they should do. lolololol

You really do need to become a more critical reader.

Let the rant continue. Rant; to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way. Declaim; to utter or recite with rhetorical effect. Extravagantly; exceeding reasonable bounds. Rhetorical; asked merely for effect with no answer expected

Lesson over!

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over, over, and over again...and expecting a different outcome!
biloxi-indian is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #44
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
The only thing clear is you made a statement you cannot back-up. Don't change the subject. Provide one bit of evidence (other than my comment in this thread re; cody) where I was "one of the people that blew my opinion of cody way out of proportion". It points to your inability to be credibile. Again you have no evidence I am "one of those guys" who has or will bait you. The fact is; you made an assertion that you cannot back-up and hopes it goes away. If I am wrong, prove it!

You cannot find evidence as it does not exist. You can't find it. Face it and admit it.

Since, in your opinion, we don't have another DT alongside Ellis to stop the run, what would you do? The draft is over and you did not have a vote on the picks! I will send your suggestions to Loomis, Payton, and Williams...I am sure they are anxiously awaiting your direction as to what they should do. lolololol

You really do need to become a more critical reader.

Let the rant continue. Rant; to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way. Declaim; to utter or recite with rhetorical effect. Extravagantly; exceeding reasonable bounds. Rhetorical; asked merely for effect with no answer expected

Lesson over!
LOL..read my Loomis intreview ,,it will answer your burning questions...rant over...lol
strato is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #45
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,673
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by strato View Post
LOL..read my Loomis intreview ,,it will answer your burning questions...rant over...lol
Thanks for the recap. I heard the Loomis segment.

However, knowing the "legend" there is a high probability the rant will continue until he proves Loomis wrong! lololololol
biloxi-indian is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #46
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
Thanks for the recap. I heard the Loomis segment.

However, knowing the "legend" there is a high probability the rant will continue until he proves Loomis wrong! lololololol
Yeah sorry i forgot to include..him to...
strato is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #47
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 194
Re: Stop the Run!

OP: I believe in the power of stopping the run.... but I truely don't believe that was a weak spot on the D this year. I saw a pattern where teams would come out and gain big on the ground right off the bat, and then as the game went on, our D would literally clamp down opponents running games to nothing. Never failed. Even when teams appeared they were going to run all over us, our D would make adjustments and shut it down... usually by half time even.

My big and only concern if anything is worth worrying about, would be pressure on the QB's. This lies mostly on the shoulders of our DE's.

Thanks to aggressive and ingenuitive play-calling from Williams, we were able to create timely sacks and pressure, mostly due to blitzing LB's and sometimes CB's / Safeties. Grant used to be a difference maker and would reek havoc on QB's single handedly all day (post big contract). We need that kind of play maker. Regretfully, in my opinion, I think who we needed was a guy like Jerry Hughs, DE whom Indy took the 1st round, 1 pick before us

You can say that because our offense was hard to keep up with, teams routinely abandoned the run, but that's not the reality.... the reality is that even though and when teams tried to fall back on the run... it was shut down. What was consistent was our D-line's inability to get to the QB. This is what bothers me, not our run D.
HintOfLogic is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #48
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockley, Tx
Posts: 1,458
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by HintOfLogic View Post
OP: I believe in the power of stopping the run.... but I truely don't believe that was a weak spot on the D this year. I saw a pattern where teams would come out and gain big on the ground right off the bat, and then as the game went on, our D would literally clamp down opponents running games to nothing. Never failed. Even when teams appeared they were going to run all over us, our D would make adjustments and shut it down... usually by half time even.

My big and only concern if anything is worth worrying about, would be pressure on the QB's. This lies mostly on the shoulders of our DE's.

Thanks to aggressive and ingenuitive play-calling from Williams, we were able to create timely sacks and pressure, mostly due to blitzing LB's and sometimes CB's / Safeties. Grant used to be a difference maker and would reek havoc on QB's single handedly all day (post big contract). We need that kind of play maker. Regretfully, in my opinion, I think who we needed was a guy like Jerry Hughs, DE whom Indy took the 1st round, 1 pick before us

You can say that because our offense was hard to keep up with, teams routinely abandoned the run, but that's not the reality.... the reality is that even though and when teams tried to fall back on the run... it was shut down. What was consistent was our D-line's inability to get to the QB. This is what bothers me, not our run D.
I made that point acouple times about clamping down on the run as the game went on. Add the injuries into the mix an overall I think our D did a pretty good job of making adjustments.
lynwood is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #49
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 3,674
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
LOL, DAMMED ENTERTAINING
st thomas is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #50
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 3,674
Re: Stop the Run!

Originally Posted by BRSaintsFan View Post
I disagree that we need an elite run stopper but another big body in the rotation wouldnt hurt. This year we will face Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Michael Turner X2, DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart X2, Cadillac Williams (not in the same breath as the others but had a huge game against us last season), Cedric Benson, Ray Rice, and Steven Jackson. Thats not to mention if Pitt rededicates its offense to the run and the three pronged attack in Dallas. Even if our run defense is better than our stats showed last year, additional help would be nice considering the schedule we play and especially the division we play in being all run first teams (plus Matt Ryan's ability off the play action).
YOUR SCARING THE EVER LIVING *&^*()*& OUT OF ME
st thomas is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts