New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/26489-olb-sam-maxwell-signs-new-orleans-saints.html)

realheavyd 05-10-2010 04:48 PM

OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints

It was about a year ago at this time, during 2009 spring practice, that former University of Kentucky football coach Rich Brooks predicted stardom for linebacker Sam Maxwell.

Posted: 2:14 PM May 10, 2010

Reporter: UK Media Relations

LEXINGTON, Ky. – It was about a year ago at this time, during 2009 spring practice, that former University of Kentucky football coach Rich Brooks predicted stardom for linebacker Sam Maxwell.

Having shared the strongside linebacker post with Johnny Williams in the 2006-08 seasons, Maxwell had the spot to himself during his senior year and definitely fulfilled Brooks’ forecast. Maxwell turned in an outstanding season in ’09 and will have an opportunity to play professional football after signing a free-agent contract with the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints.

Despite being relatively unknown outside of UK prior to his senior year, Maxwell made a name for himself by earning second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors during his final season. He started all 12 regular-season games, totaling 80 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 quarterback sacks and caused two fumbles.

Most important were Maxwell’s six interceptions, most ever in one season by a Wildcat linebacker, along with seven pass breakups. He tied for the SEC lead for interceptions per game and was sixth in the league in total passes defended per game, remarkable feats for a linebacker.

Maxwell got his breakout season started early. He nabbed an interception late in the 31-27 win over Louisville and knocked down a pass on the final play of the game to preserve the win over the Cardinals. He had a then-career best 10 tackles in the upset win at Auburn, UK’s first victory vs. the Tigers in 43 years.

Read the whole thing (here is the link to the article from the local Louisville KY news channel website):

Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints

TheEnigma 05-10-2010 05:24 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Good signing, he sounds like a beast.

realheavyd 05-10-2010 05:24 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Ok, don't y'all think that this pretty much seals the deal that the Saints will not be signing any veteran OLB's to the squad before the start of the 2010 season (ie Rocky McIntosh, Clint Ingram or anyone else with an inflated price tag or any prior NFL experience at OLB for that matter) now that they have an over-abundance of young studs trying out in camp at that position already? I believe it is safe to say that GW is ready to start molding the right players with the right intangibles of youth, speed, talent and attitude into his own idea of the perfect ingredients into his defensive schemes for this team moving forward. But that's just what I think. What do the rest of y'all think about the situation at strong side LB for the Saints right about now?

Choupique 05-10-2010 05:36 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by realheavyd (Post 224906)
Ok, don't y'all think that this pretty much seals the deal that the Saints will not be signing any veteran OLB's to the squad before the start of the 2010 season (ie Rocky McIntosh, Clint Ingram or anyone else with an inflated price tag or any prior NFL experience at OLB for that matter) now that they have an over-abundance of young studs trying out in camp at that position already? I believe it is safe to say that GW is ready to start molding the right players with the right intangibles of youth, speed, talent and attitude into his own idea of the perfect ingredients into his defensive schemes for this team moving forward. But that's just what I think. What do the rest of y'all think about the situation at strong side LB for the Saints right about now?


What do I think?


I trust the judgement of a coach and front office that just won a Super Bowl.

strato 05-10-2010 05:38 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choupique (Post 224909)
What do I think?


I trust the judgement of a coach and front office that just won a Super Bowl.

lol...FISHMAN ATTACKS

strato 05-10-2010 05:52 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
maybe this will help Choupique

NFL Videos: 2010 Combine workout: Samuel Maxwell

Watch Video Wk 13Sam Maxwell Int College Football at blinkx

saintsfan1976 05-10-2010 05:55 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Payton and Loomis are making the draft almost obsolete.

realheavyd 05-10-2010 06:33 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Sam Maxwell, Kentucky, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

realheavyd 05-10-2010 06:43 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Slow 40 times, but he seems to have a nice nose for the ball in traffic from what I have seen.

We'll see how well he does in competition at camp now I guess, huh?

strato 05-10-2010 06:45 PM

Re: OLB Sam Maxwell Signs With New Orleans Saints
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by realheavyd (Post 224935)
Slow 40 times, but he seems to have a nice nose for the ball in traffic from what I have seen.

We'll see how well he does in competition at camp now I guess, huh?

Yeah it is slow..but im hoping his game speed is up to par...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com