Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal
View Poll Results: Should Brooks one day be in Saints HOF?
Yes. 32 41.56%
No. 45 58.44%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; ...

Like Tree23Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #141
Pillows Purr
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 8,152
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

foreverfan is offline  
Latest Blogs
Is this Manning's last Hurrah? Last Blog: 04-16-2014 By: SmashMouth


Landry over Beckham Jr. Last Blog: 04-12-2014 By: joker-saint


Saints Free Agency 2014 Last Blog: 03-11-2014 By: SmashMouth


Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #142
A Cajun Transforming TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 2,254
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

[quote]Yep. And Brooks was the QB. A Saints "Record-Setting" one at that. Good call...we had a pretty good team that year...

Only...if you look at the Career, which by the way is what makes or breaks someone for a HOF, you'll see that over the course of Brooks' CAREER in N.O. the defense was surrendering 20+ points a game while the offense was scoring, at times, like we did last year. Take a look at the year after the Season you picked...the best season the team had while Brooks was here, or even the one after that and you'll have no choice but to say, "Oh, I get it now." LOL


I think you need to look at some of the game stats again.
2001 we had 6 loses where we averaged 10 pts per game.
2002 we had 4 loses that averaged 13 pts per game not to mention the last 3games when he was hurt and should have been benched. We win 1 out of the 3 and we were in the playoffs. (This is the year that got me upset the most)
2003 5 loses averaged 12 pts per game.
2004 5 loses averaged 13 pts per game.
Won't do 2005 which was his last season here and what most people remember.
So the stats on points per game average are misleading when you take in account how many points we scored in the losses.



[QUOTE]I did tell you what I think, but for the sake of Clarity I'll tell you yet again. Brooks won our first playoff game and his stats are worthy. The fact that you don't seem to think he gave a hundred percent isn't something you can measure, while we CAN measure his numbers and take a look at the team around him OVER HIS CAREER and logically say we might have won more had we been able to stop anyone. You're argument against that is to pull stats from the ONE season we made the playoffs. LOL.

I'll have to disagree on this statement Brooks won our first playoff game. I'll admit he had a good game with 4 TD's but he also fumbled twice but we did get them back and he threw a pick. The win was a team win. We had crucial defensive stops when needed (Sammy Knight 2 picks) and the famous Hakim drops the ball and Brian Milne the long snapper recovers which we had to punt because of a 3 and out. Here is his line from that game.
Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
12/30 16 29 55.2 266 9.2 4 1 2 15 111.5 10 26 2.6 0 2 0



What if it had been Delhomme with our first playoff win and Brooks' numbers over the same span. Jake is a whiner. He screams at his teammates and the refs every chance he gets. He pouts his way off the field. It's obvious he's upset. I guess then that had it been Jake or some other 'angry-acting' QB you'd be all for it? WTF?
If it would have been Jake with the same outcome, I would be saying the same thing. No he doesn't belong in the Saints HOF. And I view his emotions as passion for the game and a desire to win something Brooks never showed.
But everyone is entitled to their opinions and although I disagree with yours on Brooks I still respect it.
Budsdrinker is online now  
Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #143
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,824
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

[quote=Budsdrinker;229337]
I think you need to look at some of the game stats again.
2001 we had 6 loses where we averaged 10 pts per game.
2002 we had 4 loses that averaged 13 pts per game not to mention the last 3games when he was hurt and should have been benched. We win 1 out of the 3 and we were in the playoffs. (This is the year that got me upset the most)
2003 5 loses averaged 12 pts per game.
2004 5 loses averaged 13 pts per game.
Won't do 2005 which was his last season here and what most people remember.
So the stats on points per game average are misleading when you take in account how many points we scored in the losses.
Why do I need to look again? Like SM you are picking and choosing. That's not how it's done. Why did we lose those games? Can you remember? You want to pick and choose how you manipulate the numbers. I don't. I look at the Body Of Work over the course of his career here. Those numbers are pretty damn good numbers UNTIL people start to spin it, which is what lots of folks do when it comes to Brooks...

Oh and by the way, in that Carolina game to end the year, our WR's dropped two passes that hit 'em right in the hands that would have won that game. I guess I'm the only person who remembers that? Doubtful, but I am one of the few that will bring it up. I was never so hacked at my fellow Saints fans for the "We want Jake" chants during that game. They became the 12th man for the Panthers. Too bad Jake wasn't from way up North around Shreveport or something. It might have been different.

There are too many factors that go into a team sport like football to pick and choose games from which to manipulate statistics to prove a point. I'm saying when you look at the numbers as a whole there's not much to argue, and not many people do really. When it comes down to Brooks they don't like his smile. Take a look at the negative comments in this thread alone. It isn't the numbers, it's just that folks like to bash Brooks or make assumptions about his effort because of his style. Either way, he still won our first playoff game...oh, wait...let me be very careful since the spin doctors are in the house...HE WAS THE WINNING QB FOR OUR FIRST PLAYOFF GAME...and good for him the team was there to bail him out over and over again otherwise that great team we had might have been a Brooks victim right? LMAO



I'll have to disagree on this statement Brooks won our first playoff game. I'll admit he had a good game with 4 TD's but he also fumbled twice but we did get them back and he threw a pick. The win was a team win. We had crucial defensive stops when needed (Sammy Knight 2 picks) and the famous Hakim drops the ball and Brian Milne the long snapper recovers which we had to punt because of a 3 and out. Here is his line from that game.
Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
12/30 16 29 55.2 266 9.2 4 1 2 15 111.5 10 26 2.6 0 2 0
You can disagree until the dry cows come home, but it won't change anything. I never said Brooks won it all by his lonesome. That's what SM says I said, because he needs me to think that way I guess, but that's not what I said. But just for fun, what do you remember as the theme of that playoff win? Why did we need the miracle recovery? Need some help? We needed that miracle recovery because we couldn't stop the Rams, and me and you and everyone else rooting for the Saints knew damn well when the Rams got the ball back there was a very good change they'd shove it down our throats.

If it would have been Jake with the same outcome, I would be saying the same thing. No he doesn't belong in the Saints HOF. And I view his emotions as passion for the game and a desire to win something Brooks never showed.
But everyone is entitled to their opinions and although I disagree with yours on Brooks I still respect it.
It wouldn't have been the same with Jake if you use the criteria SM is using, since it was Brooks' assumed attitude and his presumed lack of interest that makes the difference...so for SM at least, if he's telling the truth, stats being equal, replace the name Brooks with Delhomme, and replace the smiles with a whiny baby attitude, and that's all that's missing.

I am the Genie of Sound. Everybody get down!
saintfan is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #144
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,824
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

Just a sample taken from this thread of those that think he should be in the Saints HOF.


Originally Posted by Saintswrath View Post
I don't like the dude personally but can't deny what he did at one point do for this team so i say yes..
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
easily our best QB in franchise history up until the last 4 seasons

why shouldnt he be in it?

there isnt a single reason why someone could say he doesnt deserve it

because he was emotional? how dare he get upset when 20000 fans are booing him

how dare he throw his helmet and kick water bottles when the team cant manage to hold a lead that he just gave them

aaron brooks was a good QB....not a great QB....not a great football player....but the guy was the best thing we had and now that we are spoiled we forget how much brooks actually did for us
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Yes indeed, Aaron Brooks will be in the Saints Hall of Fame, and deservingly so. That playoff win against the Rams pretty much sealed it. I realize he had an up and down time, but when it came down to the end of a game, he always gave the Saints a chance to win. During that era I never really had the feeling that the Saints were ever doomed, despite trailing in a game. More often than not, Brooks would come through.

Bad coaching decisions throughout his career, like going for two points in those 14-10 games in the second quarter did not help, not putting him on the bench when he was obviously hurt, and not to mention the 2005 season in which he had no chance totally killed his career.
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
I'd put him in, but not on the stats. This isn't fantasy football HOF.

I just can't forget that first season and the playoff win, all after Blake got hurt and most of us probably thought the season was lost. For a guy who we picked up from Green Bay for a song, he had a pretty good career, even with the character and leadership weaknesses.
Originally Posted by KingCutta View Post
Give it to him. What other QB before him didnt anything close to what he did beside Archie?
I think the overall theme of the posters in favor of putting Brooks into the Saints HOF is fairly obvious.

Last edited by saintfan; 06-08-2010 at 02:10 PM..
saintfan is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #145
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,824
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

And some from this thread from those that say no.


Originally Posted by Budsdrinker View Post
I say no. Yes he had talent but could not make the right decision. He could have been just like Donovan Mcnaab if he would have tucked the ball and ran more but he didn't want to. For as talented he was he could have and should have ran out of trouble. He was sacked 235 times and only ran 362 times in his career. And as far as the 2000 playoff win, the defense had 5 turnovers in that game including 2 by Sammy Knight 1 of which was inside the 5 yard line if not mistaken. And by the way Delhomme's record against Brooks is 4-2.
Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
The answer is, quite frankly, no. He is a moron, and I hate him.

Okay, I am playing a little up there, but honesty, no- I don't care about his stats- well look @ this, and this isn't even his best

YouTube - Reggie Hayward 76 Yard Interception, Broncos at Saints, Week 11, 2004

someone post the backward pass
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
I voted no. Any player who laughs when we get eliminated from playoff contention does not deserve to be in the HOF.
Originally Posted by QBREES9 View Post
No !!! Just SAY NO. Lets end this right now
Originally Posted by UK_WhoDat View Post
Should he? No. He annoyed me big time with his high profile errors.
The site won't let me quote everyone unfortunately, but I think the overall theme of those that don't want Brooks in the Saints HOF is fairly obvious.
saintfan is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #146
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

strato is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #147
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,824
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

Originally Posted by Budsdrinker View Post
And by the way Delhomme's record against Brooks is 4-2.
But isn't this a team sport? I think you agree on that, right?



Originally Posted by Busdrinker
I'll have to disagree on this statement Brooks won our first playoff game. I'll admit he had a good game with 4 TD's but he also fumbled twice but we did get them back and he threw a pick. The win was a team win. We had crucial defensive stops when needed (Sammy Knight 2 picks) and the famous Hakim drops the ball and Brian Milne the long snapper recovers which we had to punt because of a 3 and out. Here is his line from that game.
Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
12/30 16 29 55.2 266 9.2 4 1 2 15 111.5 10 26 2.6 0 2 0
So Jake gets the credit for being 4-2 against Brooks, but Brooks' biggest win (and at the time the Saints biggest win) had less to do with Brooks and more to do with the team?

Interesting thought process I must admit. Like you, I respect your opinion, but in this case I have to question whether or not you're being truly unbiased in your assessment.

saintfan is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #148
100th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 447
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
You said it, then you said it didn't matter, so I'm asking you why you said it to begin with. Your point that good players don't make the HOF for other reasons isn't hard to understand, however you're comparing Brooks to A guy that was BANNED from his sport and thus isn't in that sports HOF is kind over the top. You said it. Either back it up or don't. Is your dislike of Brooks so strong that you'd make that comparison, and if not then why did you do it?
You and others have said he has the stats to get in. Apart from disagreeing with the quality of his stats, my point is that you have to look at more than stats. Obviously Rose is an extreme case, but he demonstates that you can't look at just stats. character/moxy/attitude or whatever IS part of the equation. No Brooks wasn't banned like Rose was, but his stats are nowhere near where Rose's were for his sport either. So my point is I disagree with your assertation that he gets in "because he has the stats". Unlike Rose whose stats were so important it took a major issue like betting to keep him out, Brooks' stats are nowhere near good enough to get him in without considering the other facet of his game-the one outside the numbers. You like to blow it off because you say it cannot be measured. I say it is an intrgral part of a player's legacy to their sport and a good yardstick of HOF credentials.


Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
No. You're logic is flawed. I did NOT say that, and in fact I never mentioned the kicking game. You just pulled that out of your azz. I HAVE said Brooks played with a less than stellar team around him though, which stats will prove...but we'll get to that...
Yeah, I was poking fun at you about the kicking game. But my logic is not flawed. The fact is you have made comments about how bad the coaching, the defense, the o-line, and the receivers were for him. That leaves the RBs, TE's, special teams, and Brooks that you did not criticize. So back up what YOU say. By logic, your comments say you think the TEs, Brooks, RB's and kicking game were the strong parts of our team team during his time here. Otherwise what is the point of hacking on the other parts of the team if it is not to say that Brooks was carrying us?



Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
Yep. And Brooks was the QB. A Saints "Record-Setting" one at that. Good call...we had a pretty good team that year...

Only...if you look at the Career, which by the way is what makes or breaks someone for a HOF, you'll see that over the course of Brooks' CAREER in N.O. the defense was surrendering 20+ points a game while the offense was scoring, at times, like we did last year. Take a look at the year after the Season you picked...the best season the team had while Brooks was here, or even the one after that and you'll have no choice but to say, "Oh, I get it now." LOL
I love how you try to make your points look better by adding LOL as a response to valid, factual points I bring up. I guess you fall back on giggles when you have little else. I pointed out this one season because this is the one magical season you give him credit for in winning our first playoff game. You use this as a main benchmark for HOF worth. I point out that in this ONE season we had a very good team around him and giving him as much credit for the win as you do is a disservice to the rest of the team.

I also love the slant you put in your line "over the course of Brooks' CAREER in N.O. the defense was surrendering 20+ points a game while the offense was scoring, at times, like we did last year."

More accurately would be for you to say the defense at times gave up 20 + points a game while the offense was at times scoring like we did last year. Or, the D was giving up 20+ points a game and our O was scoring X pts +. But qualifying the O's performance with "at times" while quoting an actual stat for the D is shoddy and proves nothing.

Since you are so stuck on career stats, lets look at some basics. Here are some of Brooks' career stats with the Saints:

Games Yards TDs INTs Fumbles Sack W-L
93 19156 120 84 59 209 38-44


Which gives us a Per game average of:
Yards TDs TO's (INT + Fum) Sack
206 1.3 1.53 2.24

Those stats do not add up to a Saints HOF career for a player that was not known for his leadership, desire, dedication, and did not go out of his way to establish himself in the community.





Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
No, and I don't think I called you a hater. Are you a hater? I think you're taking this personally. lol
Take some responsability for your words. You said in a direct response to my earlier post "I'm not discounting them, but the Brooks haters are focused on them"

And then in this post....

"Is your dislike of Brooks so strong..."

So, yeah, I consider that to be calling me a hater when all I've said is he was a good QB but not HOF worthy. You used the word hate fist. How is that hate? If you did not mean it that way, then say so, but have the integrity to not deny you said it.





Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
I did tell you what I think, but for the sake of Clarity I'll tell you yet again. Brooks won our first playoff game and his stats are worthy. The fact that you don't seem to think he gave a hundred percent isn't something you can measure, while we CAN measure his numbers and take a look at the team around him OVER HIS CAREER and logically say we might have won more had we been able to stop anyone. You're argument against that is to pull stats from the ONE season we made the playoffs. LOL.
I'm thinking you might be in politics from the way you avoid my question, answer a differnt question entirely, then act condescending with your response.

Let me ask this then. Replace Brooks with Brees in my question. So, do you think Brees gave/gives 100 % effort to win games and be the best football player he could be? Is your answer still "I don't know"? I didn't think so.



Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
Better think again...
And so you are giving me a bad time for making a joke. Ok......



Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
What if it had been Delhomme with our first playoff win and Brooks' numbers over the same span. Jake is a whiner. He screams at his teammates and the refs every chance he gets. He pouts his way off the field. It's obvious he's upset. I guess then that had it been Jake or some other 'angry-acting' QB you'd be all for it? WTF?
For the life of me I can't see why you keep dragging Delhomme into this. If Delhomme would have had the same career for us that Brooks did, no he's not in our HOF. But I will counter with this.....considering his attitude, his comeback story, how he represents himself on the field and what he has done for the Saints organization and the community I would say I would put Breese in with the same stats as Brooks. But he did a lot more than Brooks both on and off the field.


Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
How much you wanna bet the other 32 teams have guys in their HOF's that aren't top 50 or top 100 or hell even top 10? 10 bucks? A hundred? Wanna look that up? Oh, and you have to use their whole career, not just one game or one season.
I'd bet you 10 bucks that any other QB in any other team's HOF has one of these three things (if not more than one)

a) Significantly better stats than he does
b) Signifcantly more playoff wins/championships than he does
c) Significantly more attachment to and identity with his team and community than he does.
SAINT_MICHAEL is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #149
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,872
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

I think you have to go back, sm, and look at ff's question. He was asking if AB should make the Saints' HOF. Would he, with the same numbers and smiles, have made the 49ers HOF? Not likely...
Saint_LB is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #150
100th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 447
Re: Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day?

Originally Posted by Saint_LB View Post
I think you have to go back, sm, and look at ff's question. He was asking if AB should make the Saints' HOF. Would he, with the same numbers and smiles, have made the 49ers HOF? Not likely...
Sure, I get that. And to that end he and others are basically saying he's the second or third best stat QB we've ever had, and he was the QB of our first playoff win, so he should be in.

But to me, overall as a QB he was mediocre as far as NFL standards go, and less than mediocre with respect to the intangibles I mentioned. I just don't feel like mediocre players should be in our HOF and he would only be there because we have been so lousy at the position. Conversly, we have been historically stronger at positions like LB, DL, RBs, and K. I feel like, historically, our best players at these positions were much better than mediocre in both tangible on-field performance and intangible, character contributions to the game.
SAINT_MICHAEL is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/26724-should-aaron-brooks-make-saints-hall-fame-one-day.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Should Aaron Brooks make the Saints Hall of Fame one day? This thread Refback 06-11-2010 07:02 PM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts