Saints training camp Day One - afternoon session
Lots of observations to be made at the Metairie training facility on Friday afternoon with all the rookies out there in pads and only a small handful of players not practicing at all. Marques Colston and Darren Sharper were both on the field but did not participate in drills at all. Robert Meachem and Clint Ingram weren't in pads, but did walk-throughs on some of the early 11-on-11 drills. Heath Evans also sat out due to some knee problems and Jimmy Wilkerson is also being watched very closely.
DeMario Pressley was another player that sat out the afternoon practice with some back spasms developing after the morning set. He should be good to go tomorrow though.
The afternoon session was a high-intensity and up-tempo practice with plenty of yelling from defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. He certainly isn't going to let a Super Bowl ring affect the way he runs his defense in practice. The team must go after every single loose ball no matter if it is a fumble or an incomplete pass. Williams wants total ball awareness and wants his players on that ball at all times.
Here are my random observations from the afternoon practice:
- Patrick Ramsey is obviously penciled in to back-up Drew Brees ahead of Chase Daniel and Sean Canfield, but he needs to work hard to hold onto that spot. Ramsey looked off today, throwing a lot of balls low to his receivers. Coach Payton knows though that Ramsey hasn't had much work in a while so a little rust is expected.
- Garrett Hartley had a great practice missing only one field goal from within 35 yards. Both punter Thomas Morstead and back-up QB Chase Daniel took turns holding.
- Rookie tight end Jimmy Graham is doing a good job of helping my prediction come true. The kid only played one year of football in college while focusing on basketball, but you could never tell. he was hustling the whole time, making plays, getting open, and catching the ball very well.
- Play of the Day: Speaking of Graham, he made a spectacular catch in traffic during some 11-on-11 drills late in practice. He streaked down the middle of the field and caught a 30-yard bomb one handed from Ramsey with a defender draped all over him. Trust me, this got the attention of the entire facility.
- Due to Colston and Meachem being mostly sidelines, Lance Moore and Devery Henderson were playing as the starting wide receivers with the first team. A nice surprise though came when Adrian Arrington was spotted also running with Brees and the first team.
- Wide receiver Rod Harper looked sharp today too making some nice receptions and making good cuts on the field.
- Believe me that the intensity and quick pace is very much present in this year's training camp already. A few skirmishes broke out between players thanks to some big hits and a little after-play pushing around. Players are leaving nothing to be desired as they are giving it their all.
- During the kickoff return drills, there were a number of players back trying their hands out on bringing the ball out. None of which were named Reggie Bush. Offensive guys like Lance Moore, Andy Tanner, and Pierre Thomas were out there along with members of the defense such as Reggie Jones, Usama Young, Leigh Torrence, and Patrick Robinson. Robinson and Moore didn't overly impress though as both lost the ball on one of their returns.
- During the final 11-on-11 drill, Brees of course lined up as the starter with Ramsey, Daniel, and Canfield behind him in that order.
|Rugby Saint II
||08-01-2010 03:50 PM
Re: Saints training camp Day One - afternoon session
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.
Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com