Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Should the NFL change the 53 man roster size?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Euphoria The real issue I think is the 4 pre-season games. Is it really worth it? Can they get by with only 2 instead of 4. I say yes. so with those extra 2 weeks do they ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,379
Blog Entries: 4
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
The real issue I think is the 4 pre-season games. Is it really worth it? Can they get by with only 2 instead of 4. I say yes. so with those extra 2 weeks do they just do away with them or add them to the regular season. I don't see who it hurts by adding it to the regular season. Networks make more money? Ok, no problem there. Players may make more money? Ok no problem there. Increase roster sure 56. The fans get 2 more weeks of real football? ok win there.
Whats the problem?

There is not problem.
Totally agree, but cutting preseason won't happen - not any less than 3 pre games imo.

Let's look at just how much preseason has grown in terms of attendance and revenue over the past 10 years. That's in direct relation to the success of the regular season. I think it's more of the fans crying for less preseason anyway...
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 4,074
If they want to extend the season, keep the games at 16 and add a couple more bye weeks and allow the injured players more time to heal. There is extended TV coverage, more revenue for the networks and the NFL, and everybody is happy. IMO
Srgt. Hulka is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,379
Blog Entries: 4
Originally Posted by Srgt. Hulka View Post
If they want to extend the season, keep the games at 16 and add a couple more bye weeks and allow the injured players more time to heal. There is extended TV coverage, more revenue for the networks and the NFL, and everybody is happy. IMO
I salute you Sgt. on your out-of-the-box thinking!! But extra bye weeks should mean more games, don't ya think??

saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,182
Additional games should mean additional bye weeks.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,043
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
The real issue I think is the 4 pre-season games. Is it really worth it? Can they get by with only 2 instead of 4. I say yes. so with those extra 2 weeks do they just do away with them or add them to the regular season. I don't see who it hurts by adding it to the regular season. Networks make more money? Ok, no problem there. Players may make more money? Ok no problem there. Increase roster sure 56. The fans get 2 more weeks of real football? ok win there.
Whats the problem?

There is not problem.
what he said
mikesaintfan is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,455
Increases in roster size favors the specialists, decreasing roster size would benefit the do-it-all types.

How about keeping it at 53, but increase practice squads and lighten up a bit on PS rules?
Danno is online now  
Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,379
Blog Entries: 4
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Increases in roster size favors the specialists, decreasing roster size would benefit the do-it-all types.

How about keeping it at 53, but increase practice squads and lighten up a bit on PS rules?
Definitely do-able imo. Also like the ability to dress more players for game day.
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,664
Mandated by the NFL, pre-season tickets cost the same as regular season tickets, and all teams force season ticket holders to buy them.
Contrary to what someone posted, PS attendance isn't great- a lot of season ticket holders give PS tix away or eat them, and some teams (ATL, for example) sell them for as low as $5.

What's my point? well, changing a pre-season game to a regular season game increases the value of the season ticket package by 10-12%. Should this extra revenue go to bigger rosters? Definitely

The flip side is roster size now. I can see a ST gunner, a pass-rush specialist, and maybe even a third down back, but some teams carry a second kicker, or a guy who can only long-snap, and/or positions that are too specialized. Leave it at 53 and make the GMs manage it
ScottF is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
How about let us fans play on the bye weeks...
strato is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,379
Blog Entries: 4
Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
Mandated by the NFL, pre-season tickets cost the same as regular season tickets, and all teams force season ticket holders to buy them.
Contrary to what someone posted, PS attendance isn't great- a lot of season ticket holders give PS tix away or eat them, and some teams (ATL, for example) sell them for as low as $5.

What's my point? well, changing a pre-season game to a regular season game increases the value of the season ticket package by 10-12%. Should this extra revenue go to bigger rosters? Definitely

The flip side is roster size now. I can see a ST gunner, a pass-rush specialist, and maybe even a third down back, but some teams carry a second kicker, or a guy who can only long-snap, and/or positions that are too specialized. Leave it at 53 and make the GMs manage it
You're forgetting to acknowledge the TV contracts and sponsors for preseason. IT doesn't matter what season ticket holders do with their tickets - they've already PAID for them...

Besides, EVERY preseason game is watched more than in years past bc the NFL audience is bigger than before.
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts