Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Payton's Play Calling

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Danno Drop passes aren't play calling. Missed blocks aren't play calling. O-line getting dominated isn't play calling. I'll advised passes for picks aren't play calling. Also, defense failing to stop opponents from converting and controlling the clock ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
100th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Drop passes aren't play calling.
Missed blocks aren't play calling.
O-line getting dominated isn't play calling.
I'll advised passes for picks aren't play calling.
Also, defense failing to stop opponents from converting and controlling the clock limiting offensive opportunities.
aquaboogie is offline  
Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #22
11-5
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 2,569
For the most part its execution but it sure did look like he left his stones at the 11 last sunday, last year he would of gone for the win and not played the percentages
RaginCajun83 is offline  
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
Resident antediluvian
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,739
The one thing I do think needs to be addressed is the time of possession. We have to find ways of equalizing this. It is one significant thing that is keeping teams alive against us. We have to get off the field on third downs defensively and sustain longer drives when we have the ball.
lumm0x is offline  
Old 10-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #24
xan
Professor Crab and
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Princeton
Posts: 3,010
Blog Entries: 27
My observations are that:

1) after the 1st drive, where all the plays are scripted, it seems like the playcalling gets a bit cute and un-purposeful. There seems more of an effort to be misdirecting than moving toward a score. Not until there is a limited amount of time does the offensive playcalling get more directed.

2) the scheme has not figured out how to deal with a cover 4.

3) the offensive line is not dominating any 4 man front. Brees is forced to check down due to protection issues, not coverage
xan is offline  
Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #25
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,070
Originally Posted by xan View Post
My observations are that:

1) after the 1st drive, where all the plays are scripted, it seems like the playcalling gets a bit cute and un-purposeful. There seems more of an effort to be misdirecting than moving toward a score. Not until there is a limited amount of time does the offensive playcalling get more directed.

2) the scheme has not figured out how to deal with a cover 4.

3) the offensive line is not dominating any 4 man front. Brees is forced to check down due to protection issues, not coverage
Good stuff. I agree.

It seems our best playcalling occurs in the 1st drive or two, and when we're in hurry up. Odd

Everyone thinks we struggle against a 3-4, but so far we're getting our asses handed to us by both. I've read a solid run game will exploit cover 4, but so far our O-line hasn't gotten that message. It appears our opponents have figured that out.
Danno is offline  
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
DOMEPATROL
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jacksonville,Florida Due To Military Obligation
Posts: 386
i think he's going conservative for a reason...payton always has a plan from what i've seen
DrewDat is offline  
Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #27
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,789
Originally Posted by DrewDat View Post
i think he's going conservative for a reason...payton always has a plan from what i've seen
unfortunately that plan has equated to two games we could have easily lost (to teams a combined 1-5) and another narrow defeat.

We come out blazing that first drive and then seem to go in the tank
ScottF is offline  
Old 10-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #28
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 30 miles from Paradis
Posts: 602
Blog Entries: 1
Unhappy with the way we played today, so will post my thoughts here:

Drew just doesn't seem to be trying. Every time we have a chance to put the other team away, he just... isn't there. He laid an egg in the biggest game in the franchise's history- NFCCG, and though I agreed with the field goal try last week, I was pissed both because of payton's lack of imagination in the playcalling on the last drive today and Drew's seeming lack of effort. I'm teetering over the edge on the Brees bandwagon, close to falling off, and my foot is starting to slip on payton's.


My heart will always be with the Saints, so please don't question me on that. I just see an offense that, on the whole, always threatens the jugular- and then pulls back. The defense can't bail us out every week. I still think that we at least get to the NFCCG again, but I am really getting discouraged by this team. Our "cutesy" approach won't last forever.
CashAndFlash is offline  
Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #29
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by CashAndFlash View Post
Unhappy with the way we played today, so will post my thoughts here:

Drew just doesn't seem to be trying. Every time we have a chance to put the other team away, he just... isn't there. He laid an egg in the biggest game in the franchise's history- NFCCG, and though I agreed with the field goal try last week, I was pissed both because of payton's lack of imagination in the playcalling on the last drive today and Drew's seeming lack of effort. I'm teetering over the edge on the Brees bandwagon, close to falling off, and my foot is starting to slip on payton's.


My heart will always be with the Saints, so please don't question me on that. I just see an offense that, on the whole, always threatens the jugular- and then pulls back. The defense can't bail us out every week. I still think that we at least get to the NFCCG again, but I am really getting discouraged by this team. Our "cutesy" approach won't last forever.
bandwagoner or not?
st thomas is offline  
Old 10-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #30
Resident Swede
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Märsta, Sweden
Posts: 5,023
The whole offense looks sloppy and uninterested out ther on the field. Watched todays game with a friend who doesn't know a whole lot about football but commented on the body language of the whole group. He thought they looked tired and spent.

Execution is a big big key. 2 fumbles and 7 dropped passes is the difference between 28-14 and 16-14.
Crusader is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts