Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Wildcard weekend lineup proves need for playoff changes

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by CashAndFlash changing the playoff format would be as reactionary as changing the overtime format. I disagree with both. I am not sure I follow the logic- but basically you are saying that you don't make a change ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #21
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,953
Originally Posted by CashAndFlash View Post
changing the playoff format would be as reactionary as changing the overtime format. I disagree with both.
I am not sure I follow the logic- but basically you are saying that you don't make a change because of a perceived flaw?

I am not sure I agree, but that is your opinion.

The OT format I liked previously because I thought it added more excitement. I like sudden death. I see the logic to the new system

For the playoffs I think you can look at it as improving the overall game by making all games important. Just my opinion.

Most changes are reactionary- I am not sure that argument holds much water.

I respect your opinion though.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Lombardi
spkb25 is online now  
Latest Blogs


Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


What i tell you ! !! ! Last Blog: 11-02-2014 By: SAINTstunna


Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 30 miles from Paradis
Posts: 602
Blog Entries: 1
Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
I am not sure I follow the logic- but basically you are saying that you don't make a change because of a perceived flaw?

I am not sure I agree, but that is your opinion.

The OT format I liked previously because I thought it added more excitement. I like sudden death. I see the logic to the new system

For the playoffs I think you can look at it as improving the overall game by making all games important. Just my opinion.

Most changes are reactionary- I am not sure that argument holds much water.

I respect your opinion though.

I just see it as being the same argument.

It "wasn't fair" that the Vikings lost that way last year.

It "isn't fair" that the Saints don't get to host a playoff game.

I, too, liked the sudden death format. I think if they had to change it, they should give both teams a chance to score, and if both do, let it run out the whole 15 minutes before declaring a victor.
CashAndFlash is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,953
Originally Posted by CashAndFlash View Post
I just see it as being the same argument.

It "wasn't fair" that the Vikings lost that way last year.

It "isn't fair" that the Saints don't get to host a playoff game.

I, too, liked the sudden death format. I think if they had to change it, they should give both teams a chance to score, and if both do, let it run out the whole 15 minutes before declaring a victor.
I don't think I used the argument it wasn't fair for the Saints. My point is that week 17 becomes just as important as all other weeks and makes the entire season interesting for fans
spkb25 is online now  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 30 miles from Paradis
Posts: 602
Blog Entries: 1
Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
I don't think I used the argument it wasn't fair for the Saints. My point is that week 17 becomes just as important as all other weeks and makes the entire season interesting for fans
How many of the NFC seeds were set before yesterday?
CashAndFlash is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #25
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 892
Blog Entries: 1
The NFL is never going to change the playoff seeding. We should not over look this game with the Hawks. also remember the Saints have lost more games at home then on the road. Once GB beats the Eagles the Falcons will be next. We take care of business in Seattle & Chicago then we play the NFC championship at home.
NOLA54 is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #26
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,953
Originally Posted by CashAndFlash View Post
How many of the NFC seeds were set before yesterday?
current system, all but atlanta. The likelihood that they were going to lose was next to nothing. Which is more than likely why so many people were held out by us. We couldn't move, bears couldn't, eagles couldn't.

Eagles aren't sitting people if the system changes, and neither are we, minus maybe colston.

Bears ended up playing in that game, but that is the exception, not the norm.
spkb25 is online now  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #27
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 30 miles from Paradis
Posts: 602
Blog Entries: 1
Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
current system, all but atlanta. The likelihood that they were going to lose was next to nothing. Which is more than likely why so many people were held out by us. We couldn't move, bears couldn't, eagles couldn't.

Eagles aren't sitting people if the system changes, and neither are we, minus maybe colston.

Bears ended up playing in that game, but that is the exception, not the norm.
this is the first time in 40 years a losing team has made the playoffs.

I agree that the system has its flaws, i just think the historical awfulness of the NFC west is a very rare exception, and that it really doesn't merit a change.

On that point, we'll just have to disagree.
CashAndFlash is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #28
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,953
Originally Posted by CashAndFlash View Post
this is the first time in 40 years a losing team has made the playoffs.

I agree that the system has its flaws, i just think the historical awfulness of the NFC west is a very rare exception, and that it really doesn't merit a change.

On that point, we'll just have to disagree.
Yeah that's cool- nothing wrong with it
spkb25 is online now  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #29
A Cajun Transforming TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 2,302
Changing the seeding would be nice but it will not happen. But saying you don't derserve a home game without winning your division isn't right either because technically winning your division doesn't mean you won the most games against your division. Just look at the Raiders. They are the first team in 40 years that go 6-0 against their division and miss the playoffs. So with that said, basically it's the team with the most overall wins that wins the division which now lets you argue against the way the current seeding is done in my opinion.

Budsdrinker is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #30
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 3,090
Originally Posted by Budsdrinker View Post
Changing the seeding would be nice but it will not happen. But saying you don't deserve a home game without winning your division isn't right either because technically winning your division doesn't mean you won the most games against your division. Just look at the Raiders. They are the first team in 40 years that go 6-0 against their division and miss the playoffs. So with that said, basically it's the team with the most overall wins that wins the division which now lets you argue against the way the current seeding is done in my opinion.
Good spot.

Good point.
UK_WhoDat is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts