Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Rick Reilly's column about players in the lockout

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; More BS about how we should feel bad for these guys. This is the response I sent to him: "I thought your article about the players who don't make millions was utterly ridiculous and a great picture of how out-of-touch ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Threaded by TheDeuce
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,889

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

More BS about how we should feel bad for these guys. This is the response I sent to him:

"I thought your article about the players who don't make millions was utterly ridiculous and a great picture of how out-of-touch with reality modern sports figures are today. Anybody who plays in the NFL assumes the risks of playing a game for a living: injuries, all of the pyscho-social risks, and yes, even a lockout. They play a game for half a year and get reimbursed very, very well for it. Even the guys who are making league minimum are making more than 80% of Americans. Just because they don't have the budgeting skills to make that money last in case of injury, lockout, etc. doesn't mean anybody should feel bad for them. Heaven forbid they have to work a real job... your article makes the plumbing job or the restaurant job sound so "below" these people it paints them even more as spoiled kids playing a game. My favorite players during this are the ones who shut up and don't say anything because they're thankful for their 6-7-8 figure salary.

Also, let's not kid ourselves here: the lockout won't last forever. The longest it could possibly go would be a year, and I doubt that will happen. These guys are going to get paid, so they need to suck it up and think about their fans, many of whom have those plumbing jobs or restaurant jobs to make enough money to support their families, and maybe if they're lucky enough for a ticket to the game."

Here's the article:

Making tight ends meet - ESPN

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	espn_nflpanelriley_576.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2809  

Views: 926
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 04-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,372
I have been on the players side from the beginning. The owners had a deal and as usual their contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. I can't fault the owners.....they're just hard hearted greedy basta***!!!!!
This was a very informative article. It put things into perspective a little better.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,756
Even before the lockout there were an uncommon number of players/former players in serious financial trouble. I don't know if that says more about our education system or more about their misguided spending habits but one thing is clear, they make plenty enough to live very comfortable lives even if they played the averge 2 years. They need to be more concerned about medical treatment long after football because even if they were to split a portion of the 1 billion it's not that much compared to medical cost over their liftime for injuries.
Beastmode is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,961
Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
I have been on the players side from the beginning. The owners had a deal and as usual their contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. I can't fault the owners.....they're just hard hearted greedy basta***!!!!!
This was a very informative article. It put things into perspective a little better.
Dale, the previous contract allowed either side to renogiate for any reason. How can you say the owners had a deal and backed out?
Danno is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,961
Originally Posted by strato View Post
Its all Drews fault
Not his fault, but he did head the de-certification plan, and he definitely needs to just STFU.

Its about as much Drew's fault as it is the owners fault though.
Danno is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,961
Originally Posted by strato View Post
LOL..we get it.. your president of the Drew Haters Club....
Not at all Strat. He was (and basically still is) one of my favorite Saints of all time. You don't get it at all.

But you're welcome to call me President of the "Drew being the face of the player's union in greed vs. greed" haters club.
Danno is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,961
Originally Posted by strato View Post
Lighten up Francis....its all good...i dont have no dog in their fight...thats between the players and the owners...we really dont have a say anyway..have a good easter
Strat, please read the original post, then all the responses and re-think who needs to lighten up.

Its all Drews fault
LOL..we get it.. your president of the Drew Haters Club....
But you're right, I'm 6-0 250 lbs. I definitely need to lighten up quite a bit.

Happy Easter dude.

You playing somewhere this weekend or celebrating with family?
Danno is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,372
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Dale, the previous contract allowed either side to renogiate for any reason. How can you say the owners had a deal and backed out?
Hmmm......you learn something every day.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,372
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Dale, the previous contract allowed either side to renogiate for any reason. How can you say the owners had a deal and backed out?
Hmmm......you learn something new every day.
None the less I'm still in the players corner. I just hope that We get ink on a contract real soon. Although with this long wait I seriously doubt it.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts