New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   ESPN Top Ranked Safeties (Harper 13, Jenkins 15) (http://blackandgold.com/saints/33459-espn-top-ranked-safeties-harper-13-jenkins-15-a.html)

Danno 05-04-2011 06:45 PM

ESPN Top Ranked Safeties (Harper 13, Jenkins 15)
 
Quote:

ESPN.com's NFL writers rank the top 10 safeties in the league today. Next week: top 10 owners.

When it comes to rating NFL safeties, there's Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed followed by a huge gap before everyone else.

As expected, the star safeties for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens dominated ESPN.com's positional Power Rankings this week. No other safety received a vote higher than third place.

Ranking the Safeties
1. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens
3. Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers
4. Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals
5. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs
6. Michael Griffin, Tennessee Titans
7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills
8. B. Meriweather, New England Patriots
9. Antrel Rolle, New York Giants
10. LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins
10. Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts
12 Ryan Clark
13 Roman Harper
14 Oshiomogho Atogwe
15 Malcolm Jenkins
16 Eric Weddle

But what is surprising is that Polamalu -- the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year -- became the first player in this year's series to sweep all eight first-place votes. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots did the same among head coaches.

This should finally put to rest the "Troy Reed" debate that has been raging for years between these two great safeties. According to our panel, there is a clear separation between the two. Reed received all second-place votes to finish with 72 points.

"Polamalu and Reed are the secondary's version of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. They are the gold standard of safety play," AFC West blogger Bill Williamson said. "While Reed is great, Polamalu is stunning. I've never seen him play and not make a jaw-dropping play." ...

Power Rankings: Top 10 NFL safeties - AFC North Blog - ESPN
Interesting. I wish they had ranked Free and Strong separately.

papz 05-04-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danno (Post 298106)
Interesting. I wish they had ranked Free and Strong separately.

Then we'd be looking at a very underwhelming group of players. With Jenkims having a full tear under his belt, he should skyrocket up this list.

Antrel Rolle is one of the most overrated and overpaid players in this league. Weddle should also be higher on this list.

ClintSaints 05-04-2011 07:32 PM

Antoine Bethea? Ryan Clark? Huh? Jenkins is way better than those clowns.

Luda34 05-05-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papz (Post 298108)
Then we'd be looking at a very underwhelming group of players. With Jenkims having a full tear under his belt, he should skyrocket up this list.

Antrel Rolle is one of the most overrated and overpaid players in this league. Weddle should also be higher on this list.

I agree with you about Weddle this guy is a good player.

darstep 05-05-2011 09:00 AM

We've got a pair on the list...SWEET!

jeanpierre 05-05-2011 11:18 AM

Jenkins will have another something to motivate him; good...

Can't see how "can't cover - can't run" made that list; even if it is ESPN!

Danno 05-05-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanpierre (Post 298238)
Can't see how "can't cover - can't run" made that list; even if it is ESPN!

They're probably considering all 17 games, not just the one Seattle game.

SmashMouth 05-05-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darstep (Post 298186)
We've got a pair on the list...SWEET!

:stupid:

jeanpierre 05-06-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danno (Post 298263)
They're probably considering all 17 games, not just the one Seattle game.

I like your insight; but on Harper, well look at the production

2010 Official Stats: 8 Passes Defensed, 3 Sacks, & 1 Interception; For the whole season...Wow

Not too mention being run down by a rookie quarterback; I would have retired and become a bartender on Miami Beach...

And those three blown coverages in the playoff game for three (3) PaTd Allowed during do or die time; he's lucky he wasn't sleeping with the fishes...

The guy sucks and Greg Williams is trying to inflate his confidence so he'll play better; no matter how you polish or package it...it's still ****, well a pet rock...

papz 05-06-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

I like your insight; but on Harper, well look at the production

2010 Official Stats: 8 Passes Defensed, 3 Sacks, & 1 Interception; For the whole season...Wow

Not too mention being run down by a rookie quarterback; I would have retired and become a bartender on Miami Beach...

And those three blown coverages in the playoff game for three (3) PaTd Allowed during do or die time; he's lucky he wasn't sleeping with the fishes...

The guy sucks and Greg Williams is trying to inflate his confidence so he'll play better; no matter how you polish or package it...it's still ****, well a pet rock...
Let's not forget the 98 tackles and 6 forced fumbles.

From a statistical standpoing, 98 tackles, 6 FF, 8 PD, 3 sacks, and 1 INT from the SS position is really damn good. Your use of his numbers does nothing to prove he's a terrible player and holds no water.

Roman Harper is not an elite player... but to say he flat out sucks just once again reiterates to me that you are terrible at evaluating talent.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com