Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

IT AIN'T OVER, PLAYERS WON'T SIGN Yet!!!

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL I haven't been posting in a while. Real busy at work. But I think it's time to weigh in. The owners want and need their preseason games. It's a ton of money they pretty much get ...

Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,839
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
I haven't been posting in a while. Real busy at work. But I think it's time to weigh in.

The owners want and need their preseason games. It's a ton of money they pretty much get to keep for themselves, because players don't start getting paid until the season starts. It's not called game checks for nothing.

The pressure for the players from the money standpoint will mount at time gets closer to September. Players already believe that they can get ready for the season with only a couple of preseason games anyway. So there isn't as must pressure there.

But honestly I want to call out the fans and media. In all of this, they are truly the selfish parties. They really have no interest who gets damaged in this negotiation. They just want it over. Frankly, I hope the players take their time and get this thing right, fans and media be damned.

Let me see if I can analogize. I'm sure that many of you have bought a house. Imagine coming to the closing for a house without having seen the inspection report, the termite letter, the loan sheet, or any other documentation. The seller, who wants to get rid of the property because they don't want to pay the mortgage next month, and the real estate agent, who wants their commission, shove the documentation in your face at closing and demand that you sign. Are you at least not going to stop, take a minute, and read the material?

This current CBA proposal is a 10 year commitment here people. It's a 500 page binding legal document that cannot be undone or challenged once it is accepted. The very fact that there was no dissent by the owners at all should be enough to give the players pause. It needs to be vetted carefully. That's not a 5 minute process.

So sit back in your comfy chair, crack open a brew, and chill. It's clear there will be football. It's clear there will be a full season. It's clear that this will get done, be it tomorrow, or Monday, or the end of next week. A negotiation like this is adversarial by necessity. Each side is trying to get the best deal. And frankly, if both sides do end up signing without some folks on both sides being pissed off, then somebody got screwed.

I'm just happy that most of the Saints did their own OTAs at Camp Drew/John last month. The team will come ready to storm the league on September 8th.

Chill. It'll get done. There's too many dollars at stake for too many folks not to.

SFIAH
I get the spirit of what you're saying, but this ISN'T like buying a house sans inspection report. I understand if the players want time to review - they deserve that, but their deal, regardless of the fine print, just went from fantastic to uber-fantastic.

I for one hope the owners are done. Take it or leave it as is. If that means scab players than so be it. Let's get some people in the building who truly appreciate the good fortune of making a bus load of money playing a game.
saintfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Latest Blogs
Is this Manning's last Hurrah? Last Blog: 04-16-2014 By: SmashMouth


Landry over Beckham Jr. Last Blog: 04-12-2014 By: joker-saint


Saints Free Agency 2014 Last Blog: 03-11-2014 By: SmashMouth


Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 1,371
Originally Posted by strato View Post
While i agree with most of your post..one thing to remember is we the fans pay them ..without us...they have nothing..Right?....i mean i know they want a good deal for the future...but this has gone on long enough...they could get this done over the weekend...but they choose to wait till monday to even get started...that just baffles me..they have the best lawyers money can buy...seems they could move a little faster..and make it easy for everyone involved..
Fans will live up to their names: fanatics. They are addicted and will not walk away. By the end of September, it'll all be a distant memory to them.

But players and owners are going to be stuck with whatever they agree to for a significant amount of time. It will affect both their bottom lines for years to come.

Every CBA deal goes down past the wire. Everyone is trying to position to get the best deal. I wouldn't even be surprised if it went another week.

SFIAH
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,839
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post

But players and owners are going to be stuck with whatever they agree to for a significant amount of time. It will affect both their bottom lines for years to come.


SFIAH
Yeah, they're 'stuck'. They're stuck trying to figure out how to split 9 billion dollars. Bog me down in that hole would you please?

Stuck? Hardly the word I'd use, but it's all in how one chooses to view things I guess.
st thomas likes this.
saintfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,872
Here's what I don't understand.

I know that the owners are really the fat cat rich guys...but the players have a little bit of money of their own.

The players are the product. The product can continue without the owners but not without the players...so, it would seem to me that would be an advantage to the players.

If they could get everyone to agree...why don't the players start a new league and be the players and owners. To me...this is the danger the owners face by "locking-out" their employees.

Someone tell me why this would be a bad idea for the players.

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right!
Saint_LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,839
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by Saint_LB View Post
Here's what I don't understand.

I know that the owners are really the fat cat rich guys...but the players have a little bit of money of their own.

The players are the product. The product can continue without the owners but not without the players...so, it would seem to me that would be an advantage to the players.

If they could get everyone to agree...why don't the players start a new league and be the players and owners. To me...this is the danger the owners face by "locking-out" their employees.

Someone tell me why this would be a bad idea for the players.
I'll tell you why. Because the players aren't owners. It's a different skill set. This assessment that owners aren't needed is...well...I don't see how one comes to that conclusion.

Players don't make enough money to own. Those owners made their money and THEN bought into the NFL. They are savvy business people.

How can you say owners aren't needed and then suggested the players start their own league and be both players AND owners if in fact owners aren't needed? Oh I'd love to see the players try it. That model would fail miserably...but then again, a lesson learned well is one learned the hard way. It would fail and those players would be broke. How's that for irony?

I am the Genie of Sound. Everybody get down!
saintfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 3,623
Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
Yeah, they're 'stuck'. They're stuck trying to figure out how to split 9 billion dollars. Bog me down in that hole would you please?

Stuck? Hardly the word I'd use, but it's all in how one chooses to view things I guess.
now thats seriously dammed funny sfan.
st thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #17
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,872
Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
I'll tell you why. Because the players aren't owners. It's a different skill set. This assessment that owners aren't needed is...well...I don't see how one comes to that conclusion.

Players don't make enough money to own. Those owners made their money and THEN bought into the NFL. They are savvy business people.

How can you say owners aren't needed and then suggested the players start their own league and be both players AND owners if in fact owners aren't needed? Oh I'd love to see the players try it. That model would fail miserably...but then again, a lesson learned well is one learned the hard way. It would fail and those players would be broke. How's that for irony?
I'm saying that anybody with money can be owners but not just anybody can be players...only the players.
Saint_LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #18
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,839
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by Saint_LB View Post
I'm saying that anybody with money can be owners but not just anybody can be players...only the players.
Not successful ones. And for what it's worth Id like to ride the bench for a few years and make my 1.4 million too. Where do I sign?

saintfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
Bless You Boys!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In mah hause.
Posts: 319
Originally Posted by Saint_LB View Post
I'm saying that anybody with money can be owners but not just anybody can be players...only the players.
Hallelujah. Well said. I'd high five you if I could. : )
ALLSAINTS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #20
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,839
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by ALLSAINTS66 View Post
Hallelujah. Well said. I'd high five you if I could. : )
When any of the players accumulates enough through their own business savvy to actually buy a team THEN you two can high five each other, or whatever else you wanna do together. Until then you're both pissing in the wind...
saintfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts