Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Brees keeping close tabs on changing O-Line

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; OK, this will not help the O-Line this season, but I wonder if Joe Thomas could be available next off-season. He signed a 6-year contract with the Browns in 2007 worth $43 million, $23 million guaranteed, including a voidable year. ...

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,953
OK, this will not help the O-Line this season, but I wonder if Joe Thomas could be available next off-season. He signed a 6-year contract with the Browns in 2007 worth $43 million, $23 million guaranteed, including a voidable year.

So if this is his 5th year of that contract... I wonder what that "voidable year" really means? Could it mean that he hits the FA next off-season after 5 years of that contract? He is somebody I would be willing to invest heavily on monetary-wise... of course first signing Brees and Nicks to long-term contracts.

He could very well be willing to follow Rogers from a losing team to a winner and a constant contender... even for little less than what he might get elsewhere?! Well, one can always dream I guess...

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is online now  
Latest Blogs
Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


What i tell you ! !! ! Last Blog: 11-02-2014 By: SAINTstunna


MID TERM ELECTION Last Blog: 10-29-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bayou Bayfield CO
Posts: 2,895
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
OK, this will not help the O-Line this season, but I wonder if Joe Thomas could be available next off-season. He signed a 6-year contract with the Browns in 2007 worth $43 million, $23 million guaranteed, including a voidable year.

So if this is his 5th year of that contract... I wonder what that "voidable year" really means? Could it mean that he hits the FA next off-season after 5 years of that contract? He is somebody I would be willing to invest heavily on monetary-wise... of course first signing Brees and Nicks to long-term contracts.

He could very well be willing to follow Rogers from a losing team to a winner and a constant contender... even for little less than what he might get elsewhere?! Well, one can always dream I guess...
Cleveland could do okay this year. And maybe, just maybe our current OL could end up being a pleasant surprise.
Seer1 is offline  
Old 08-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,953
Originally Posted by Seer1 View Post
Cleveland could do okay this year. And maybe, just maybe our current OL could end up being a pleasant surprise.
Yes, well I would say that the Browns going into the playoffs is a long shot at best. They might wins some games, but ultimately they're clearly not a contender team.

The Saints' O-Line could very well be good enough to win another ring... I'm not saying that they aren't. I'm merely bringing up this point for speculations sake, because surely Joe Thomas is a player of the highest caliber, and if there was any chance of signing him given certain conditions - only a fool would not take him up on it.

I'm also curious about the "voidable year" in his contract. Is it both ways, just the team or Thomas himself, who can decide on the optional year... or is it based on certain predetermined performance-based variables?!

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is online now  
Old 08-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bayou Bayfield CO
Posts: 2,895
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Yes, well I would say that the Browns going into the playoffs is a long shot at best. They might wins some games, but ultimately they're clearly not a contender team.

The Saints' O-Line could very well be good enough to win another ring... I'm not saying that they aren't. I'm merely bringing up this point for speculations sake, because surely Joe Thomas is a player of the highest caliber, and if there was any chance of signing him given certain conditions - only a fool would not take him up on it.

I'm also curious about the "voidable year" in his contract. Is it both ways, just the team or Thomas himself, who can decide on the optional year... or is it based on certain predetermined performance-based variables?!
Aww c'mon, Cleveland knocking the Steelers or Ravens out? It could happen No doubt Thomas is a fantastic tackle. If he moves somewhere else, he'll be getting an even bigger paycheck to go. I wonder how much Benson and Loomis are willing to spend for a tackle.
Seer1 is offline  
Old 08-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,953
Originally Posted by Seer1 View Post
Aww c'mon, Cleveland knocking the Steelers or Ravens out? It could happen No doubt Thomas is a fantastic tackle. If he moves somewhere else, he'll be getting an even bigger paycheck to go. I wonder how much Benson and Loomis are willing to spend for a tackle.
That's why I was wondering/hoping if he would do the same as Rodgers, because Shaun had a killer 2011 season with the Saints and won the SB... maybe he'd be willing to sing for less like Rodgers did as well?!

Yeah and I know it's highly unlikely 'cos next off-season there'll be teams spending like crazy to get to the mandatory cap floor... like the Bucs for one.
FinSaint is online now  
Old 08-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,953
Based on the Texans game I would have to believe that Strief has a pretty big lead on Brown as the starter at RT. Strief wasn't perfect, but I think he held his own compared to Brown. I don't know if that sack/fumble play was him messing up or if it was Tennant's screw up on the snap count, but Charlie-boy looked especially bad on that one... well at least he recovered the fumble.
FinSaint is online now  
Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 368
The fumble was all on Brees....as a QB you have to know when to get rid of the ball. I know you wanna make the play, but you got a guy about to eat you.
Maverick2299 is offline  
Old 08-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Originally Posted by Maverick2299 View Post
The fumble was all on Brees....as a QB you have to know when to get rid of the ball. I know you wanna make the play, but you got a guy about to eat you.

He didnt have time...nada
strato is offline  
Old 08-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 368
if you don't got time tuck it away, take the sack. You cant have it out that far from your body....that's what vick does.

He had 3 seconds before he was touched, that's time for a QB...but again tuck it away something...but don't have it out like that.
Maverick2299 is offline  
Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #20
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Originally Posted by Maverick2299 View Post
if you don't got time tuck it away, take the sack. You cant have it out that far from your body....that's what vick does.

He had 3 seconds before he was touched, that's time for a QB...but again tuck it away something...but don't have it out like that.

If you go back and look Smith got Drews arm up keeping him from the tuck...its on the O-Line for not blocking..just watched it again....he had no chance..
strato is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/35487-brees-keeping-close-tabs-changing-o-line.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Brees keeping close tabs on changing O-Line This thread Refback 08-17-2011 08:32 PM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts