Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

List the player or players you want gone

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I'd have no issues giving Meachem a contract similar to what Devery and Lance are making... especially if we let Colston walk....

Like Tree41Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #71
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,616
I'd have no issues giving Meachem a contract similar to what Devery and Lance are making... especially if we let Colston walk.
papz is offline  
Latest Blogs
REFUND Last Blog: 12-07-2014 By: xan




Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #72
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 17,083
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
You are aware that Bushrod is the highest payed O-linemen in the Saints in 2012? He is making more than f.e. Evans, who is considered one of the best guards in the league -> Evans 2012 = ~4.7M vs. Bushrod 2012 = ~6.25M.

In terms of players I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints let go are, and I'm looking at them from the value standpoint as in salary vs performance:

Smith: just like it has been mentioned already he is making too much money for the performances he has put in, but if he is willing to restructure his contract he might be very good value. Also, the emergence of Gallette this year and being optimistic about Romeus stepping up next season - the Saints might have a good group of young versatile DTs with Jordan, Gallette, Romeus & maybe a draft pick (also Charleston is a good value back-up).

Vilma: I really like him as an individual, player and as a leader on the field, but it seems that he has struck a wall with his physical endurance... and while I understand the issues with his knees this past season - who's to say it'll get any better in the future? I would've liked the Saints to have gone after Paul Posluszny last FA period, because he would be what I think the Saints need as a MLB with almost the same salary as Vilma (6.6M vs 7M). Otherwise, the LB group isn't as bad as it could be - Wilson , Dunbar, Casillas, Humber and Bussey are all young promising LBs, who could blossom under the right DC f.e. Spags or Del Rio , both with LB coach backgrounds.

Shanle: I mean he wouldn't be unacceptable as a back-up, but with a 2M contract I think it would be financially better to get rid of him for picks if possible.

Ellis: I have been defending him on many threads during this past season, but I think the time has come to see him leave the black & gold. He'll be making over 6M next season after which he becomes an UFA, so if some team would be willing to make a trade for him it might be a good time to pull the trigger. But, if he would be willing to restructure his contract like Smith, he might be good value in the DT rotation. Also, maybe Mitch "Mama's Boy" King can step up to the next level this coming season along with my personal favorite Tom Johnson making Ellis even more expendable.

Rogers: didn't get things going the whole season long, and when looking at his career stats - he has only had a couple of really good seasons and all of those were during contract years, and that alone tells me this guy has a problem with his attitude towards competitiveness. Now this is no surprise and was something what we debated about during the pre-season, but I guess the thinking was that GW would be able to whip him into a beast in NO... unfortunately that never materialized. I would much rather see Franklin signed to a new contract and after the lackluster season he had - he might be willing to sign for about 2M/year, and with that price tag he'd be good value in the DT rotation.

Meachem: I think that RM is a good WR and if he'd be willing to sign for about the same as he made this season (1.5-2.5M/year) I'd like to see the Saints sign him and maybe trade away Henderson, who only has 1 more year left in his contract for 3.5M. Although, I doubt Meachem will want to sign for that "little" money in which case he becomes an unnecessary signing for the Saints. Depending on how much Colston wants to stay in NO, I think he would be a "no brainer" as a signing. If he wants about the same as f.e. Roddy White with 6.5M/year, I think the Saints should sign him, but if he wants Top 5 WR money then the Saints should let him go after that money on the FA market.

Porter & Greer: I'm not saying both of them are expendable or even that it would be wise to let both of them go, but there are some issues with both of them. Porter is an UFA, so his price tag might be too much to make his re-signing a viable option in regards to what he brings to the field if this season is anything to go by. I'd like for the Saints to keep Greer, but he is another player entering his last season before becoming an UFA and he will be making around 6M in 2012, so this might be the last chance to get something in return for him in a trade. Robinson is someone who the Saints should definitely keep, because he will only become better and has improved steadily, which makes me wonder why some of you want him gone?!

Of course it'll all depend a lot on what the new DC will want do with the Saints' offense and, therefore, there might be some surprises in store for all us when it comes to the Saints' roster for the 2012 season.
Good stuff, but I disagree with the trading parts. I can't see many of the players you suggested trading bringing us any picks at all.

Shanle wouldn't net us a 7th

Ellis makes way too much for anyone to give us picks AND take on that salary.

Henderson might net us a late round pick, but why not keep him? He's not exactly breaking the bank. Renegotiate a long term deal with Devery and Meachem both. We could reduce the cap hit and stay stocked at WR.
Danno is online now  
Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #73
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,956
Originally Posted by papz View Post
I'd have no issues giving Meachem a contract similar to what Devery and Lance are making... especially if we let Colston walk.

That would then mean something between 3.5M and 4.5M, which would probably make signing Colston improbable, and I wonder if Meachem - as a former 1st rounder - has some illusions of grandeur and, therefore, will want more money.


Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Good stuff, but I disagree with the trading parts. I can't see many of the players you suggested trading bringing us any picks at all.

Shanle wouldn't net us a 7th

Ellis makes way too much for anyone to give us picks AND take on that salary.

Henderson might net us a late round pick, but why not keep him? He's not exactly breaking the bank. Renegotiate a long term deal with Devery and Meachem both. We could reduce the cap hit and stay stocked at WR.

You're right, but one can always dream.

In any case, many of those players need their contracts to be restructured to be lower or more performance based in nature with various bonuses. If that isn't possible the Saints might look toward other teams, who might want to trade for them in player for player basis for similar type of contracts, but for players that would better match what the new DC wants to do with the Saints' defense.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #74
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,043
reading these posts i had a thought

Colston is in year 6...he has had a couple injuries and has take ALOT of big hits...him saying he will not take a "hometown discount" makes me think he may be thinking of 1 BIG payday and then a retirement on his own terms while he can still function physically(ala baryy sanders)...He has a SB ring already and is a very smart man...what do you think?
mikesaintfan is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #75
500th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 937
BUSHROD MAKES MORE MONEY THAN EVANS BECAUSE BUSHROD IS A PRO BOWL LEFT TACKLE AND EVANS, though the best guard in the league, IS STILL JUST A GUARD! Left tackles make more. Who are we going to replace our reasonably price pro bowl tackle with? A 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round shot in the dark? We're trying to win now. When the Brees window closes...this success thing is over.
jcp026 is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #76
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,956
Originally Posted by jcp026 View Post
BUSHROD MAKES MORE MONEY THAN EVANS BECAUSE BUSHROD IS A PRO BOWL LEFT TACKLE AND EVANS, though the best guard in the league, IS STILL JUST A GUARD! Left tackles make more. Who are we going to replace our reasonably price pro bowl tackle with? A 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round shot in the dark? We're trying to win now. When the Brees window closes...this success thing is over.

I get your point, but I'm not sure you get my point... Of course left tackles are paid more than guards, but in relative terms Evans is the highest paid guard in the league (last time I checked) just about making the list of Top 100 highest paid players in the NFL.

Now do you honestly think that Bushrod deserves to be paid almost a third more than Evans for his services regardless of the position he plays and, furthermore, saying that the Saints are paying him very little in terms of left tackle money?

Which one is more important to the Saints' O-Line in your opinion... both protection and blocking-wise?

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #77
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,616
Technically Bushrod makes more money than Evans... but it's only because of the way his contract is structured. Usually when you give a large signing bonus, the first couple years of the contract carries a lower base salary. Don't be mistaken... Evans makes the big dollars. NFL contracts are tied into guaranteed money and signing bonuses, not a bunch of f aux money players won't see.
papz is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #78
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,956
Originally Posted by papz View Post
Technically Bushrod makes more money than Evans... but it's only because of the way his contract is structured. Usually when you give a large signing bonus, the first couple years of the contract carries a lower base salary. Don't be mistaken... Evans makes the big dollars. NFL contracts are tied into guaranteed money and signing bonuses, not a bunch of f aux money players won't see.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I am only talking about in relation to the 2012 salary and the cap hits of these players, because we have no way of knowing how the salary budgets will develop in the future making the relative evaluations of those high pay latter seasons virtually impossible at this time.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #79
I'm an A hole
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Metry
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by KingCutta View Post
The whole damn defense! We need some CRIMINALS on defense. Not real criminals but criminals on the field. One that will knock the piss out of someone, fast as hell and take the ball away! We dont have that now and GREGG DUMBASS WILLIAMS cant seem to coach it.

been saying this for years. our guys are too "nice"
Sinner likes this.
Speedy Ron is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #80
500th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
I get your point, but I'm not sure you get my point... Of course left tackles are paid more than guards, but in relative terms Evans is the highest paid guard in the league (last time I checked) just about making the list of Top 100 highest paid players in the NFL.

Now do you honestly think that Bushrod deserves to be paid almost a third more than Evans for his services regardless of the position he plays and, furthermore, saying that the Saints are paying him very little in terms of left tackle money?

Which one is more important to the Saints' O-Line in your opinion... both protection and blocking-wise?
Evans is a better player and more important than Bushrod and should be paid more, but the best players in the league aren't necessarily the highest paid and it's because of the position they play. And I'll continue to say that Bushrod is good value at his current price, only because of the position he plays.

I'm also not sure why we're spending so much time talking about Bushrod. A lot of people were trashing him and want him gone. That's just an awful idea.
jcp026 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/40403-list-player-players-you-want-gone.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
List the player or players you want gone This thread Refback 01-15-2012 02:16 PM 6


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts