New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   A couple names for late round picks (http://blackandgold.com/saints/40408-couple-names-late-round-picks.html)

G504 01-15-2012 03:52 AM

A couple names for late round picks
 
Since nobody's thrown some names out yet, I'll put in a bid from a few of my fellow alumnus. Now, this comes with the two caveats: one, that I don't watch a lot college football to scout for the Saints (they don't pay me enough to do that ;-) ), I only watch my own alma maters, Virginia Tech and Arizona State. So I'm not saying these are the best two players out there, but they're good players and they'll probably be around after the 2nd round. Caveat two, it's 4:30 in the morning and I can't sleep, so maybe I'm not thinking right.

Jayron Hosely of Virginia Tech: 9 interceptions a year ago. Only 3 this year, but I don't think he's taken a step back, it's just that Georgia Tech, UNC, and East Carolina (not in our conference, but we seem to play them every year) hardly threw it this year. It seems our whole conference fell in love with the triple-option. But still had 33 tackles and 2 forced fumbles this year. And because Tech horribly underperformed, he'll probably still be on the board in the 3rd or even 4th.

Vontaze Burfict of Arizona State: Now, hear me out on this one. Don't just go by what the media says. 69 tackles, 7 for a loss (4 for a loss of 15 or more), 3 sacks. Only 1 pick, but he flies to the ball. Now, the knock on him is his attitude. He gets flagged for unsportsman like just for not saying "bless you" when someone sneezes. I've seen almost every game, and honestly, at least a third if not half of his flags were complete "let's clean up the sport" BS! Either the hit was like a second after the whistle or a toe out of bounds, or both guys were going at it and he gets the flag. But we also had an over-the-hill coach that been stopped giving a dang. I think Payton can get him to behave. However, because of his rep, teams out of fear that another Suh or Harrison will hurt more than help the team (especially image-wise for teams more desperate to fill seats than win games), I think everyone will pass on him. I saw one projection that said Steelers take him in the 2nd, but I think he'll fall all the way to 4th or 5th, unless he has the world's slickest talking agent. If he falls that far, I say take him.

WVSaint 01-15-2012 10:13 AM

bruce irvin, WVU

CharityMike 01-15-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G504 (Post 369868)
Since nobody's thrown some names out yet, I'll put in a bid from a few of my fellow alumnus. Now, this comes with the two caveats: one, that I don't watch a lot college football to scout for the Saints (they don't pay me enough to do that ;-) ), I only watch my own alma maters, Virginia Tech and Arizona State. So I'm not saying these are the best two players out there, but they're good players and they'll probably be around after the 2nd round. Caveat two, it's 4:30 in the morning and I can't sleep, so maybe I'm not thinking right.

Jayron Hosely of Virginia Tech: 9 interceptions a year ago. Only 3 this year, but I don't think he's taken a step back, it's just that Georgia Tech, UNC, and East Carolina (not in our conference, but we seem to play them every year) hardly threw it this year. It seems our whole conference fell in love with the triple-option. But still had 33 tackles and 2 forced fumbles this year. And because Tech horribly underperformed, he'll probably still be on the board in the 3rd or even 4th.

Vontaze Burfict of Arizona State: Now, hear me out on this one. Don't just go by what the media says. 69 tackles, 7 for a loss (4 for a loss of 15 or more), 3 sacks. Only 1 pick, but he flies to the ball. Now, the knock on him is his attitude. He gets flagged for unsportsman like just for not saying "bless you" when someone sneezes. I've seen almost every game, and honestly, at least a third if not half of his flags were complete "let's clean up the sport" BS! Either the hit was like a second after the whistle or a toe out of bounds, or both guys were going at it and he gets the flag. But we also had an over-the-hill coach that been stopped giving a dang. I think Payton can get him to behave. However, because of his rep, teams out of fear that another Suh or Harrison will hurt more than help the team (especially image-wise for teams more desperate to fill seats than win games), I think everyone will pass on him. I saw one projection that said Steelers take him in the 2nd, but I think he'll fall all the way to 4th or 5th, unless he has the world's slickest talking agent. If he falls that far, I say take him.

Well you know what, I would like a "Suh" like attitude player right now. We are not a team trying to fill seats. We need some damn passion and aggression. Most are calling us dirty now anyway, so lets strike while the iron is hot.

Danno 01-15-2012 01:14 PM

draft talk is meaningless untill after free-agency starts.

We always address holes in free agency then draft BPA.

halloween 65 01-15-2012 02:06 PM

I want 2 bad a$$ DT's , that will make things so much easier.

W. Kovacs 01-15-2012 02:41 PM

G504,

I'm a Virginia Tech Alum as well! Class of 2000, when were you there?

I agree, I think Hosley would be a good get for us; especially since, like you say, he'll probably be there late in the draft as The Hokies (sort of rightfully) probably won't get much respect by scouts...

I'd also think Danny Coale might be good for us. He's not a huge name but he is a good, fairly large receiver but is also pretty versatile; he can return kicks and even punt! I could see him being used in special packages and "trick" plays...

gandhi1007 01-15-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halloween 65 (Post 370125)
I want 2 bad a$$ DT's , that will make things so much easier.

I would prefer 2 bad a$$ DE's that can actually get to the quarterback. :-(

SapperSaint 01-15-2012 06:01 PM

I want Linebackers that can sack the QB. You know, one of the things LB's are known for.?.?.?

CharityMike 01-15-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapperSaint (Post 370240)
I want Linebackers that can sack the QB. You know, one of the things LB's are known for.?.?.?

Trues but you need some line talent to make the lanes for them to do that.

mikesaintfan 01-16-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapperSaint (Post 370240)
I want Linebackers that can sack the QB. You know, one of the things LB's are known for.?.?.?

we used to have some GREAT ONES...hmm what were those names again? lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com