Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Gregg Williams re-joins Fisher in St. Louis

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by joker-saint My only question to the rest of the fan base is: Can you really blame poor tackling, blown coverage, and piss poor penetration at the line of scrimmage on the coach? To answer your question.....YES. No ...

Like Tree50Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #41
Threaded by gandhi1007
Part Time Pimp
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,966

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by joker-saint View Post
My only question to the rest of the fan base is: Can you really blame poor tackling, blown coverage, and piss poor penetration at the line of scrimmage on the coach?
To answer your question.....YES. No other coach in the league would have called that defense with 1:30 remaining & Alex Smith having to drive 85 yards to win it. All you have to do is keep everything in front of you. A field goal can only tie it at best.
Rueben Mayes and W. Kovacs like this.
Views: 10209
Latest Blogs
Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


What i tell you ! !! ! Last Blog: 11-02-2014 By: SAINTstunna


MID TERM ELECTION Last Blog: 10-29-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Old 01-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #42
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 290
Blog Entries: 10
Steve Spagnuolo to the Saints?

In his two seasons as the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants in 2007 and 2008 here is where they ranked:

2007 season:

7th overall defense
11th against the pass
8th against the rush

2008 season:

5th overall
8th against the pass
9th against the rush

He was on an upward trend when the rams took him from the Giants. Looks like the role of defensive coordinator fits him best. What do you think?

Spagnuolo spent 8 years with the Eagles where he was in three different positions throughout his tenure before he was recruited to New York:

1999: Defensive assistant/ Quality control-Philly was 24th overall in Defense
2000: Defensive assistant/ Quality control-Philly was 10th overall in Defense
2001: Defensive backs- Philly was 7th overall in Defense and 2nd against the pass
2002: Defensive backs- Pilly was 4th overall in Defense and 7th against the pass as well as 9th against the rush
2003: Defensive backs- Philly was 20th overall
2004:Linebackers- Philly was 10th overall
2005:Linebackers- Philly was 23rd overall
2006:Linebackers- Philly was 15th overall but 9th against the pass.
joker-saint is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #43
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 290
Blog Entries: 10
Originally Posted by gandhi1007 View Post
To answer your question.....YES. No other coach in the league would have called that defense with 1:30 remaining & Alex Smith having to drive 85 yards to win it. All you have to do is keep everything in front of you. A field goal can only tie it at best.
He did put everything in front of them that is why they made it to midfield before Davis caught that pass. I was wondering why he didn't blitz the same way they had been doing it the entire 3rd and most of the 4th quarter. It was making Alex Smith very uncomfortable. Thats where all of the three and outs were coming from.
joker-saint is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #44
A Cajun Transforming TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 2,302
Because we won the superbowl in 2009, Williams received some praise but it really had nothing to do with Williams in my opinion. In his 3 years here, the defense gave up on an average of 344 yards per game. That's terrible. The only difference between the superbowl year and these last 2 are turnovers. 2009 we had 26 ints and a +11 turnover ratio! 2010 and 2011 combined we only have 18 ints and -5 turnover ratio. We need a front 4 that can apply pressure so that we can use the FS like we did with Sharper where he is able to ball hawk and not be in coverage all the time. Relying on the blitz puts our FS in coverage too much and not allowing him to roam like Sharper did and like Ed Reed and the head and shoulders guy does.

Budsdrinker is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #45
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Killeen, TX....Born in Marrero, LA
Posts: 583
our front 4 is terrible. hell so are our linebackers ....wait the secondary is too with the exception of greer.....lol. I think we need to hit free agency hard and hope for some defensive gems in the draft.
Rueben Mayes and CharityMike like this.
LBCutta is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #46
100th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by joker-saint View Post
My only question to the rest of the fan base is: Can you really blame poor tackling, blown coverage, and piss poor penetration at the line of scrimmage on the coach? Our guys can only be coached so much, its up to the players to hit there assignments each time they are on the field. Finger pointing and playing the blame game isnt going to fix anything. If you are on that field and you are getting paid more money than 97% of the rest of America you had better play like you are the best at what you do!!!!! A coach is only as good as the players he puts on the field. Just look at the 21 irrefutable laws of leadership written by John Maxwell. Do you think any of the leaders we had in the history of America played the blame game? I honestly believe that GW's schemes would have worked better if our players had more heart. Too many times it looked like our defenders would just give up on the plays.
Question is how much input did Greg Williams have in player selection and evaluation. If he selected them and coached them????? Jordan, Jenkins, Robinson 1st round selections 1st round impact?
aquaboogie is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #47
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 104
Blog Entries: 2
Originally Posted by Budsdrinker View Post
Because we won the superbowl in 2009, Williams received some praise but it really had nothing to do with Williams in my opinion. In his 3 years here, the defense gave up on an average of 344 yards per game. That's terrible. The only difference between the superbowl year and these last 2 are turnovers. 2009 we had 26 ints and a +11 turnover ratio! 2010 and 2011 combined we only have 18 ints and -5 turnover ratio. We need a front 4 that can apply pressure so that we can use the FS like we did with Sharper where he is able to ball hawk and not be in coverage all the time. Relying on the blitz puts our FS in coverage too much and not allowing him to roam like Sharper did and like Ed Reed and the head and shoulders guy does.
Nothing to do with it, that is so foolish as to be ridiculous. That defense was detracted from all year-long by pundits, and preventing yardage wasn't their forte. Their forte was in keeping yardage minimized, and creation of turnovers. We haven't had that as much in the last 2 years, true.

Here's what I have to say--Thanks Greg Williams, for the Super-Bowl win. You were part of that, and all the nay-saying ninnies don't seem to get you just aren't going to win one every year. There are 32 teams, for Christ's sake. Get a grip, the offense did great, EXCEPT for giving up 5 turnovers, and Thomas got knocked out in the first drive, a nearly crucial part of the plan. Stop focusing on one drive, and look at the real cause, the TURNOVERS. Jesus, the blind will not see, apparently.

And can we all learn that "loose" is not "lose." Why is it people make that error so much, is it a typo? Lose is when you don't win, and loose means you are free to roam, not tied down.
Rugby Saint II likes this.
mike27 is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #48
100th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by mike27 View Post
Nothing to do with it, that is so foolish as to be ridiculous. That defense was detracted from all year-long by pundits, and preventing yardage wasn't their forte. Their forte was in keeping yardage minimized, and creation of turnovers. We haven't had that as much in the last 2 years, true.

Here's what I have to say--Thanks Greg Williams, for the Super-Bowl win. You were part of that, and all the nay-saying ninnies don't seem to get you just aren't going to win one every year. There are 32 teams, for Christ's sake. Get a grip, the offense did great, EXCEPT for giving up 5 turnovers, and Thomas got knocked out in the first drive, a nearly crucial part of the plan. Stop focusing on one drive, and look at the real cause, the TURNOVERS. Jesus, the blind will not see, apparently.

And can we all learn that "loose" is not "lose." Why is it people make that error so much, is it a typo? Lose is when you don't win, and loose means you are free to roam, not tied down.
X-2 None of the defensive players turned the ball over! You CAN NOT have turnovers in playoff games. Every team that turned the ball over lost!
aquaboogie is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #49
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S.Korea, USAF
Posts: 23
Is Spagnolo available after the Rams fired him?? He ran a pretty good D up in NY....
dbonlilv14 is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #50
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 3,088
Hasn't GW gone yet?

Do I need to help him pack?
UK_WhoDat is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
defensive coordinator, gregg williams, jack del rio, new orleans saints, press conference, rams, sean payton, steve spagnuolo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/40422-gregg-williams-re-joins-fisher-st-louis.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Gregg Williams re-joins Fisher in St. Louis This thread Refback 01-17-2012 06:58 AM 1
Gregg Williams expected to leave Saints This thread Refback 01-15-2012 03:35 PM 1
Gregg Williams expected leave Saints This thread Refback 01-15-2012 02:16 PM 5


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts