Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

How do you guys feel about Meachum?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by iceshack149 They can keep Crabtree. I was only trying to make that trade look even. LOL...

Like Tree21Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #41
Part Time Pimp
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,966
Originally Posted by iceshack149 View Post
They can keep Crabtree.
I was only trying to make that trade look even. LOL
gandhi1007 is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #42
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,898
Originally Posted by SanDiego49er View Post
I wouldn't trade Aldon Smith for anybody. He's the best pass rusher we had in 20 years. Combined with Justin Smith and Ray McDonald and Ahmad Brooks it's pretty devastating.

But Crabtree I think you can have. He's pretty slow and doesn't separate well. A lot of Diva attitude with him as well. He may be overrated around the NFL by fans coming from a guy who watches the team every week. He's certainly not bad but I don't think he is as good as his reputation is either.

You might lose Brooks in the FA - I'd in fact state that it is likely since he refused to sign a long term deal with the 49ers earlier due to them low-balling him - and I wouldn't be opposed to see him signing with the Saints either.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #43
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
You might lose Brooks in the FA - I'd in fact state that it is likely since he refused to sign a long term deal with the 49ers earlier due to them low-balling him - and I wouldn't be opposed to see him signing with the Saints either.
It's possible they lose Brooks. The good news is they are around $40 million under the cap. So they have a lot of room. The bad news is they have a lot of guys to resign. Including some key ones. Some big names like Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson who had big years. Goldson will probably get the franchise tag. Brooks may be the odd man out. Rogers says he wants to come back but who knows?

I think Brooks is a good player but not a superstar. He could help a team though. He's far from bad.
SanDiego49er is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #44
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,898
Originally Posted by SanDiego49er View Post
It's possible they lose Brooks. The good news is they are around $40 million under the cap. So they have a lot of room. The bad news is they have a lot of guys to resign. Including some key ones. Some big names like Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson who had big years. Goldson will probably get the franchise tag. Brooks may be the odd man out. Rogers says he wants to come back but who knows?

I think Brooks is a good player but not a superstar. He could help a team though. He's far from bad.

Isn't Alex Smith a FA too?
FinSaint is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #45
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Isn't Alex Smith a FA too?
Yes he is. I think they will resign him. He has improved albeit he is not great. I think it just comes down to the draft or Free Agency won't provide a better option than an improving Smith.

A lot of things frustrate me about him. I think he can make the throws. We all saw it in the New Orleans game for example. But he is so careful and cautious. He doesn't take many chances. I wish he was a bit more of a gunslinger even if it amounted to a few more interceptions. As it is he keeps his interceptions down but doesn't take chances on 3rd down conversions. Thus they fail to convert. Sometimes you got to chuck it in there. Things aren't always perfect. That's where he is frustrating to watch.

Having said all that their WR corps kind of sucks. So it's definitely not all him. The only real legit threat is the TE Vernon Davis. I think Crabtree is overrated. He is slow.
SanDiego49er is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #46
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,120
Blog Entries: 43
Originally Posted by SanDiego49er View Post
Yes he is. I think they will resign him. He has improved albeit he is not great. I think it just comes down to the draft or Free Agency won't provide a better option than an improving Smith.

A lot of things frustrate me about him. I think he can make the throws. We all saw it in the New Orleans game for example. But he is so careful and cautious. He doesn't take many chances. I wish he was a bit more of a gunslinger even if it amounted to a few more interceptions. As it is he keeps his interceptions down but doesn't take chances on 3rd down conversions. Thus they fail to convert. Sometimes you got to chuck it in there. Things aren't always perfect. That's where he is frustrating to watch.

Having said all that their WR corps kind of sucks. So it's definitely not all him. The only real legit threat is the TE Vernon Davis. I think Crabtree is overrated. He is slow.
I agree Smith has improved but he's too timid at times. I think a solid pocket passer can make average Wide Receivers look GREAT!
Alex Smith is just inconsistent. I see more consistency in Matt Ryan.
I still think QB is a component the 49ers need to address if they want to make it to the Superbowl. Alex Smith has taken a lot from Harbaugh, but how far does that go?
Halo is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #47
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
I agree Smith has improved but he's too timid at times. I think a solid pocket passer can make average Wide Receivers look GREAT!
Alex Smith is just inconsistent. I see more consistency in Matt Ryan.
I still think QB is a component the 49ers need to address if they want to make it to the Superbowl. Alex Smith has taken a lot from Harbaugh, but how far does that go?
It's difficult to say. Because with Smith they mismanaged him as much as he failed. He had 7 offensive coordinators in 7 years. He came in the league at 20. He's still only 27. Not really old for a QB. I almost look at this as year 1 for Smith. It's the first time in his life he had a true QB developer by his side. And he made strides there. Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary (2 previous HC's) were idiot QB developers. They threw him under the bus and damaged his confidence when he was injured. Instead of coaching and developing him.

He sure doesn't have a great WR group. The TE Vernon Davis is great and he has a lot of confidence in him. And they make plays together. Another playmaker on the outside would help this team.

Alex is maddening to watch. He can look brilliant like in the New Orleans game or struggling like in the Giants game. He's just not consistent game to game. But at times he shows you flashes he can do it. But guys like Brees do it every game. He can be inconsistent on individual throws too. A brilliant one and then a real bad one. Just like games. The throws can be inconsistent.

I still don't know what to think of him 7 years later. He just gives you flashes of both sides. Definite improvement overall. He's clearly better than the suckiness I saw when he first came in the league.

I just think guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers don't grow on trees. And they are never left without the franchise tag. They just aren't available on the open market. You have your elite 3. Then maybe Roethlisburger and Rivers (not this year though...lol). So maybe 5 super QB's in the league. Everybody else is trying to look to improve that area. It's just tough to find guys that good and get them on the open market. You guys got kind of lucky because Brees got hurt and SD gave up on him. Of course they had Rivers waiting too. So that factored into their decision.

I'm not sure he is the answer either. I'm glad to see him be better. I just don't know if we have a better option. It's maddening watching him sometimes. I wish he was more of a gunslinger instead of so scared and tenative. It would be a few more int's but maybe better for more scoring and yards and 3rd down conversions.
SanDiego49er is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #48
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,224
I think we should keep Meachem, probably resign him pretty cheap too.
Danno is online now  
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #49
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,876
I think that a lot depends on Colston and what happens with him depends on Brees. Brees is gonna command a boat-load of money from somewhere, and if it is here, then we might just see 1 or 2 of his weapons vanish...leaving people like Meachem to fill the gap. I like Meachem and believe that he can pick-up the slack. Colston is good, though...real good.
Saint_LB is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #50
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,298
Blog Entries: 15
Having both Colston & Meachum, I gotta' wonder if Meachum becomes expendable under the salary cap. When I think of WR's, you always want to have one, but when was the last time a big name WR took a team to the SuperBowl without an elite QB throwing to him?

What I'm getting at is you secure guys like Brees, Nicks first and then you try to hang onto Meachum. I like the guy, but WR is something you can fill with F/A, the draft, a late season signing and besides, when Brees is completing passes to 6-7 different receivers a game ... and I saw something in the thread on Shaun Rogers, dieting and what-have-you ... take it from me, it don't get no better with that guy ... deal him now if you can, before it's too late ...

... this space intentionally left blank ...

Last edited by SloMotion; 01-25-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
SloMotion is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/40518-how-do-you-guys-feel-about-meachum.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
How do you guys feel about Meachum? This thread Refback 01-18-2012 07:35 PM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts