Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

New Orleans Saints Carl Nicks realistic about odds of returning next season

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by RockyMountainSaint I would hate to see Nicks go and as a consequence, find out that De La Puente isn't nearly as good without being protected by the guards. We then have TWO huge problems with the o-line. ...

Like Tree4Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Threaded by subguy
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando,FL
Posts: 1,368

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by RockyMountainSaint View Post
I would hate to see Nicks go and as a consequence, find out that De La Puente isn't nearly as good without being protected by the guards.

We then have TWO huge problems with the o-line.

Not saying that De La P cannot do the job but do you want to risk it?
That is a good point about the center being sandwiched between 2 pro bowl guards. Truly don't think they will let Drew's protection go unless they have something up their sleeve. The point about Jerry Jones is a good one he seems to get what he wants. I still think the Saints front office realizes Drew's success is in large part to the fact he has time behind the line.
Views: 2092
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 02-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,089
Blog Entries: 5
Signing Drew is a given. I will say that I would be extremely disappointed and shocked if we didn't keep Nicks too.

Someone else said it in this or some other thread and I agree 100%. The last thing we need is to mess with the o-line. I'd be willing to give up Colston and Vilma if that's what we had to do, as much as I'd hate it.

We HAVE to keep Nicks!
saintfan is offline  
Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,675
At 6'4" and 305lbs is Eric Olsen G/C a camp body or is he another diamond in the rough? A ND product drafted by the Broncos in the late rounds later picked up by the Skins, then Saints.
biloxi-indian is offline  
Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
At 6'4" and 305lbs is Eric Olsen G/C a camp body or is he another diamond in the rough? A ND product drafted by the Broncos in the late rounds later picked up by the Skins, then Saints.

Well, we all saw how important O-Line depth is this past season with the release of Stinchcomb, the problems with Kreutz, and the injuries to both Strief and Brown at RT.

So, I'd say a camp body with a possibility of being used to create more depth, but definitely not a Nicks replacement.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,675
Fin; I just remember Nicks was a 5th round pick and as a rookie in 2008 took the place of Jamar Nesbit and the rest is history.

The reason I brought up Olsen is I don't watch ND football and have no opine on his abilities...just as with Nicks in 2008...as I don't watch Nebraska football either. I guess I am a SEC fan!

One thing for sure...competition at C/G in 2012 with BDLP, Tennent, and Olsen.
biloxi-indian is offline  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
I'm an A hole
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Metry
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by RockyMountainSaint View Post
I would hate to see Nicks go and as a consequence, find out that De La Puente isn't nearly as good without being protected by the guards.

We then have TWO huge problems with the o-line.

Not saying that De La P cannot do the job but do you want to risk it?

kreutz blew goats and he was in between two pro bowl guards.
Speedy Ron is offline  
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
100th Post
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 407
Our All-Pro G and QB both played for teams that are currently in the Big 10. Guess I'll keep watching some of these non SEC games.
Michigan_SF is offline  
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 18,436
I don't like playing Monday Morning GM. I'll wait and see what the real Gm is going to do. It's all speculation anyway.
QBREES9 is offline  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
Fin; I just remember Nicks was a 5th round pick and as a rookie in 2008 took the place of Jamar Nesbit and the rest is history.

The reason I brought up Olsen is I don't watch ND football and have no opine on his abilities...just as with Nicks in 2008...as I don't watch Nebraska football either. I guess I am a SEC fan!

One thing for sure...competition at C/G in 2012 with BDLP, Tennent, and Olsen.

It's true what you said about Nicks, and I don't watch any college football, so my knowledge is even more unreliable in that sense.

But the reason I don't see this Olsen guy stepping up to fill Nicks' jockstrap is because he wasn't drafted by the Saints, he has been around for awhile, been tossed between teams, and stepping up for Nesbit was quite a lot easier than replacing a guard of Nicks' caliber.

Nicks is excellent in both pass protection and run blocking and he has made great developmental steps forward in both categories within the past 2 seasons - as was stated by his fellow guard Evans - and, therefore, it would be incredibly difficult to replace him with a guy who hasn't even been able to secure a roster spot earlier.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #20
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,675
Fin, I understand your point and concur to a point. I only am reflective of Collins and BLDP ( among others who were not drafted by the Saints and have contributed significantly) circumstances.
biloxi-indian is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/40912-new-orleans-saints-carl-nicks-realistic-about-odds-returning-next-season.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
New Orleans Saints Carl Nicks realistic about odds of returning next season This thread Refback 02-02-2012 08:24 AM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts