Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Patrick Robinson heavily linked to Tracy Porter's future with the Saints

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by ScottF I had to WIKI it yesterday-- Types of franchise tag There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag: An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
I had to WIKI it yesterday--

Types of franchise tag

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation

And you honestly think that someone would be willing to give up those two 1st round picks just for the honor of signing Nicks into a very expensive long-term contract?
FinSaint is offline  
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,507
Blog Entries: 4
When I think Colston I think "nucleus". He'll remain a Saint.

Nicks is a player I would like to have back but considering the team's history of releasing o lineman in line for that "big payday" (Faine, Goodwin) I wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed to walk. They'll find another player.

Henderson and Meachem ARE role players in this offense. I think Lance Moore is more important to the success of the offense than either DH or RM. I could see Henderson coming back bc he's affordable, durable and overall more valuable than Meachem.

saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,664
Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
I had to WIKI it yesterday--

Types of franchise tag

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation
Thanks, I did not know that!! Now from that I have a question: Could the Saints be thinking that we could get 2 #1 for Nicks, it would explain why they are dragging their feet with Brees? Also we would have 3 #1 next year, talk about revamping a team with all of those picks, there are a lot of ways to play those cards. Maybe Jerry Jones or Snider helps us out? I'm game!!
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
Thanks, I did not know that!! Now from that I have a question: Could the Saints be thinking that we could get 2 #1 for Nicks, it would explain why they are dragging their feet with Brees? Also we would have 3 #1 next year, talk about revamping a team with all of those picks, there are a lot of ways to play those cards. Maybe Jerry Jones or Snider helps us out? I'm game!!




Not even Jones or Snider would be that stupid... I mean giving up 2 1st round picks for a guard that they would still have to sign to probably the biggest contract ever given to a guard.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 642
A buddy of mine met porter once and said the dude is cocky as hell. I have a feeling he rested on his laurels last season thinking he was too cool for school. I have no prob with the saints letting him go. P rob is going to rock next season and we have Johnny Patrick in the stable ready to break out.
westbankdaze is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,664
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post



Not even Jones or Snider would be that stupid... I mean giving up 2 1st round picks for a guard that they would still have to sign to probably the biggest contract ever given to a guard.
It still amazes me what Jerry does. He throws money around like beads at Mardi Gras, he might think Nicks is the final piece of his trouble, he thinks that way every year, why not? And he might feel he got one over on Payton for the bottle of wine? I hope the moron takes it hook line and stinker!!
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,783
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
And you honestly think that someone would be willing to give up those two 1st round picks just for the honor of signing Nicks into a very expensive long-term contract?
No.
The point of franchising a guy is to buy time in the contract negotiations, or at the very least get another year out of him at a 'lower' rate. Maybe at this point next year Nicks isn't a pro bowler, or maybe we get a deal done before then, who knows. The tag basically keeps him as our property for another year.

big 'IF' -- if a team thinks he is worth two number 1's (which he is, btw), then they can sign him to an offer sheet. So, the tag then becomes an insurance policy
ScottF is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
El Mero Mero
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kingsville, Tx
Posts: 669
Jones did give up ALOT for Roy Williams.....i wouldnt count him out on the two #1's.....
saintsfan1313 is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
No.
The point of franchising a guy is to buy time in the contract negotiations, or at the very least get another year out of him at a 'lower' rate. Maybe at this point next year Nicks isn't a pro bowler, or maybe we get a deal done before then, who knows. The tag basically keeps him as our property for another year.

big 'IF' -- if a team thinks he is worth two number 1's (which he is, btw), then they can sign him to an offer sheet. So, the tag then becomes an insurance policy

And I for one would be overjoyed if they did that, since those picks would be extremely valuable in the coming seasons, but I just can't see it happening.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
100th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by alleycat_126 View Post
Im not being mean, honestly. But there's no way in HELL that I would consider signing DD at this point in his career need an example. See Derrick Mason's 2011-2012.
I think Loomis works his magic and the big 3 will stay - Colston is far better at this point the Driver
BIGEASY504 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/41162-patrick-robinson-heavily-linked-tracy-porters-future-saints.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Patrick Robinson heavily linked to Tracy Porter's future with the Saints This thread Refback 02-11-2012 07:40 PM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts