Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Conundrum...

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I thought they were in talks at the moment with Calvin Johnson in getting a contract extension done, which would keep him in Detroit for a long time. And I have my doubts about Arrington, I see Morgan as a ...

Like Tree9Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Threaded by FinSaint
I donate wisdom
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,912

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

I thought they were in talks at the moment with Calvin Johnson in getting a contract extension done, which would keep him in Detroit for a long time.

And I have my doubts about Arrington, I see Morgan as a more promising prospect than AA.
Views: 1359
Latest Blogs
How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Childhood Trauma Prevention Last Blog: 08-29-2014 By: Barry from MS


Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,299
Blog Entries: 15
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
I thought they were in talks at the moment with Calvin Johnson in getting a contract extension done, which would keep him in Detroit for a long time.

And I have my doubts about Arrington, I see Morgan as a more promising prospect than AA.
That's what they say, but it's kind of similiar to the Colston/Nicks situation in that the Lions are bumping up against the cap also. Calvin's interviews sound a lot like Nick's interviews in that "he'd like to stay, but ..."

Last edited by SloMotion; 02-17-2012 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: 'situation'
SloMotion is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,912
I have to believe that they'll do anything they can in order to keep Johnson in the fold... and they have a complete season to do it.

I think they'll let Avril go because of the cap restrictions you mentioned, but they have to keep Johnson around if they want to see Stafford progress in his development.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,299
Blog Entries: 15
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
I have to believe that they'll do anything they can in order to keep Johnson in the fold... and they have a complete season to do it.

I think they'll let Avril go because of the cap restrictions you mentioned, but they have to keep Johnson around if they want to see Stafford progress in his development.
Yeah, I think Avril becomes odd man out in a cap situation just because the Lions are kinda' deep on the D/Line and I'm also thinking he's looking for too big a payday.

I always think WR's are somewhat expendable in a pinch, but in Calvin's case, I'll agree with you ... keeping him around while Stafford matures can only help, and Stafford is the key to that team moving forward.

It's a business, whattya' gonna' do? That's the whole point in the salary cap, to promote 'parity' in the league ... no more dynasties.

... this space intentionally left blank ...
SloMotion is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,912
Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
Yeah, I think Avril becomes odd man out in a cap situation just because the Lions are kinda' deep on the D/Line and I'm also thinking he's looking for too big a payday.

I always think WR's are somewhat expendable in a pinch, but in Calvin's case, I'll agree with you ... keeping him around while Stafford matures can only help, and Stafford is the key to that team moving forward.

It's a business, whattya' gonna' do? That's the whole point in the salary cap, to promote 'parity' in the league ... no more dynasties.

Your Lions are already paying him quite a lot - cap hit of almost $17.8M for 2012 - so I don't know how much more any other team would be willing to pay him with the current salary cap restrictions.

It would be highly beneficial to the Lions if they could negotiate a new contract with him before the FA period begins in March, because that way they could free up some cap room if they made the new contract "end-heavy."
FinSaint is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,651
Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
Owner/GM Jerry Jones has made it clear that the Cowboys will be active in free agency this offseason.

The Cowboys have $12.6 million in salary cap space, and can increase that number by releasing Terence Newman and restructuring a few more contracts. "And we will use [the cap space]," emphasized Jones. Needing a boost on the interior offensive line and at cornerback, the Cowboys are often mentioned as a potential landing spot for free agent LG Carl Nicks.

Cowboys ready to spend big in free agency - Rotoworld.com
I read this somewhere else also, and that really got to thinking Jones would give us a king's ranson for Nicks if we tagged him. I would hate Nicks to go but if we could stay competitive for many, many years to come, I'd pull the trigger.
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,743
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
I disagree, Nicks is a Playmaker (notice the capital P) in the O-Line pass protecting and making running plays possible. and he is more valuable than Colston to the Saints and would also be more valuable on the FA market.

Nicks stays - at least for another year - and hopefully Colston does as well, but if it is only one: it clearly should be Nicks.
Hate to say it, but Brees isn't throwing to anyone on his back. All starts upfront
spkb25 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
Part Time Pimp
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,966
Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Hate to say it, but Brees isn't throwing to anyone on his back. All starts upfront
^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^
gandhi1007 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,342
Find a reasonable deal for Drew then it's all about Nicks.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 964
If we sign Brees (which we will) we only have 20 mil in cap space before signing him. Lets say he takes a friendly figure against the cap, say 16 mil his first year. This means nicks would have to take a maximum of 4mil against the cap which wont happen.

Brees should avg 18mil per year (first year 16mil maybe?)
Nicks should get 6-7mil per year (same as Evans)
Colston wants 7mil per year

Do the math saints have 100mil against the cap without these players(cap is 120m).

Unless cuts are made to the defense we will lose Nicks and Colston. Cutting some lackluster vet on D means keeping Nicks, however if the FO want all three back look for some major cuts on D.
(yes I know some vets may restructure contracts but it may not be enough)

Personally I love the young talent we have on D, but we cant get rid of the veteran knowledge completely. My prediction- Colston will no longer be a Saint, Shanle and Will Smith get cut.
blackangold is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/41270-conundrum.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Conundrum... This thread Refback 02-16-2012 11:43 AM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts