Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Sign Peyton Manning

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by AsylumGuido There is no way Manning settles for a performance based contract. He will get a premium contract because the demand is there. I would tend to agree with you, however, I know I wasn't just pulling ...

Like Tree33Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #31
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,879
Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
There is no way Manning settles for a performance based contract. He will get a premium contract because the demand is there.
I would tend to agree with you, however, I know I wasn't just pulling things out of thin air...

http://www.huliq.com/3257/peyton-man...ontract-report
Saint_LB is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #32
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 1,890
Originally Posted by SapperSaint View Post
I disagree.

Drew is a guy that has been tagged because he doesn't want the contract Loomis put in front of him. A TAG, that Drew has not signed yet. So right now he is a QB that is holding out for 5 million dollars and is handicapping the team right now. That what Drew is.

Look I love Drew. I want him here til he retires. I want a 20 foot bronze statue of the guy in front of the Dome. But I broke one of my rules as a Saints fan.... I can't get attached to One player. I love this team more than I love Drew. If Drew really wanted what was best for this team... he would have signed that contract last week and the only thing we'd be talking about on this site is the stupid "BountyGate" crap.

Buuuuuttttt Noooooooooooo; Drew wants 5 million more on the front end of his contract. Bullocks!
Why do you refuse to see that this is not Brees making this call? Condon put that number out there because that is what Manning's deal was. The overall Manning deal is slightly less than what Condon wants for Brees, an average of $18+ million per year. The key hold up is that Condon demanded $24 million per year for the first three years because Manning got $23 million. He knew that the Saints don't have the cap room to cover that right now and stay viable. He knew they'd have to tag Brees and let his other client, Carl Nicks go to the open market. Now that the deed is done watch for a more cap friendly version of the deal to get done for the same overall number.

Stop blaming Brees. It is all a part of the negotiating game and the players always agree to let there agents run the show.

claus808 likes this.
AsylumGuido is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #33
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockley, Tx
Posts: 1,458
In Indy Manning Ran the Offense

Here Payton runs the Offense and Brees delivers.

It just wouldn't work.
lynwood is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #34
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Black Pearl University
Posts: 799
Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Stop blaming Brees. It is all a part of the negotiating game and the players always agree to let there agents run the show.

This. I've been reading alot about representation in the last few days and anyone who thinks Drew Brees has stepped one foot in the room so far is an ignoramus. In all likelihood communication between Brees and Loomis is entirely cut off.
Every couple days this conversation happens over the phone:
Condon says "They are offering you 18m/year" Drew might say "That sounds like a good deal, let's get it done." to which Tom says "Don't let them low-ball you Drew, you have, at worst, the same contribution as Peyton and he is getting X, you shouldn't accept any less than X+1, and I'll get you X+1, just give it some time." "Okay Tom, call me for dinner when you are back in town." "Say hi to Brit for me, bud, talk to you later."

Then Drew turns off the TV and the internet and totally cuts off from sports news until the deal is done.
This is particularly enlightening: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...YiqK72_N1M05UQ
alexonfyre is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #35
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,772
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I am on the fence with this one but I say no.

We'd have the same problem with Manning as Drew. Money is going to be a lot and we tagged Drew to save some money so far.

Both players have 2-3 years left max I figure. I keep Drew tag him another year and then ask him to retire so we can move on.
We tagged Drew but he has not signed anything...big difference. Keep all options open. Bringing in Peyton could send a clear message to Drew's agent; We'll pay Drew but you are going to have to bend.
Beastmode is online now  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #36
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 1,890
Originally Posted by alexonfyre View Post
This. I've been reading alot about representation in the last few days and anyone who thinks Drew Brees has stepped one foot in the room so far is an ignoramus. In all likelihood communication between Brees and Loomis is entirely cut off.
Every couple days this conversation happens over the phone:
Condon says "They are offering you 18m/year" Drew might say "That sounds like a good deal, let's get it done." to which Tom says "Don't let them low-ball you Drew, you have, at worst, the same contribution as Peyton and he is getting X, you shouldn't accept any less than X+1, and I'll get you X+1, just give it some time." "Okay Tom, call me for dinner when you are back in town." "Say hi to Brit for me, bud, talk to you later."

Then Drew turns off the TV and the internet and totally cuts off from sports news until the deal is done.
This is particularly enlightening: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...YiqK72_N1M05UQ
Thanks, Alex. I have been banging my head against the wall trying to get this point across to many of these people.

AsylumGuido is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #37
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,257
Blog Entries: 39
yeah baby cut drew and sign manning for the nfl min lmao
hagan714 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
lightly scented
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 142
sign him! right now the saints need a hero and drew is to busy being a villian
nicebush25 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #39
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Black Pearl University
Posts: 799
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
We tagged Drew but he has not signed anything...big difference. Keep all options open. Bringing in Peyton could send a clear message to Drew's agent; We'll pay Drew but you are going to have to bend.
Peyton's agent is the same as Drew's agent.
Condon would basically say "okay, so you have both of my QBs, who we both know are worth the same amount, write up the contract I already asked for and you can pick whichever one you want."
SloMotion likes this.
alexonfyre is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #40
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alexandria, La
Posts: 7,341
Originally Posted by alexonfyre View Post
Peyton's agent is the same as Drew's agent.
Condon would basically say "okay, so you have both of my QBs, who we both know are worth the same amount, write up the contract I already asked for and you can pick whichever one you want."
There is absolutely 0 chance that Peyton will get the kind of money that Drew will get this year; not with 4+ neck surgeries and his health in doubt...
|Mitch| is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
drew brees, payton manning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/41863-sign-peyton-manning.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
online work This thread Trackback: 11-18-2013 01:52 PM 1
Sign Peyton Manning This thread Refback 03-07-2012 10:23 AM 10


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts