Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Breakdown of Curtis Lofton

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by |Mitch| so if he does want 8-9 million, would he be worth that? NO. I don't think so. Maybe 5-6, but we can't afford that, especialy with Brees demanding too much....

Like Tree6Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,961
Originally Posted by |Mitch| View Post
so if he does want 8-9 million, would he be worth that?
NO. I don't think so. Maybe 5-6, but we can't afford that, especialy with Brees demanding too much.
BGWhoDat likes this.
Danno is offline  
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
Who Dat Writer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by |Mitch| View Post
so if he does want 8-9 million, would he be worth that?
Not $9M. Ray Lewis only makes $7. He'd be about a $4-$6 IMO. Based on the breakdown I did of him, he's solid. Definitely worth the $6.6M cap hit Vilma would carry.
BGWhoDat is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,915
Yeah, I just don't see the Saints paying Lofton (or even being able to) that type of money - $8-9M/yr.

A good comparison is the Ahmad Brooks contract the 49ers gave him in February - 6-years for $44.5M with $17.5M guaranteed. That's an average of $7.4M/yr.

Brooks is 27, so just a little older than Lofton, but IMHO Brooks is a (much) better player than Lofton is, although they play different roles - Brooks being an OLB in a 3-4 base defense.


Paul Posluszny is making an average of $7M/yr, Chad Greenway is making $8.2/yr, and DeMeco Ryans is making $8M/yr - these are all MLBs, around the same age as Lofton, and all are better players than Lofton.

Comparing to those 3 MLBs, Lofton should be making around $5-6M/yr, but the salary market isn't always fair and equal.


Hawthorne might be more affordable, but it seems like the Saints might be targeting Lofton as their primary target.
BGWhoDat likes this.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is online now  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #24
Who Dat Writer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Yeah, I just don't see the Saints paying Lofton (or even being able to) that type of money - $8-9M/yr.

A good comparison is the Ahmad Brooks contract the 49ers gave him in February - 6-years for $44.5M with $17.5M guaranteed. That's an average of $7.4M/yr.

Brooks is 27, so just a little older than Lofton, but IMHO Brooks is a (much) better player than Lofton is, although they play different roles - Brooks being an OLB in a 3-4 base defense.


Paul Posluszny is making an average of $7M/yr, Chad Greenway is making $8.2/yr, and DeMeco Ryans is making $8M/yr - these are all MLBs, around the same age as Lofton, and all are better players than Lofton.

Comparing to those 3 MLBs, Lofton should be making around $5-6M/yr, but the salary market isn't always fair and equal.


Hawthorne might be more affordable, but it seems like the Saints might be targeting Lofton as their primary target.
Good comparison. I think they want Lofton due to his dominance. Pay extra for the top notch performer. I think all the courting they're doing is trying to "impress" him to take less cash. If he buys into the system + the winning = less money for a ring.
BGWhoDat is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #25
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,506
Blog Entries: 4
I like, no looove the fact that Lofton plays so many snaps.

Could you imagine such a healthy player in New Orleans? (shocking)

But I don't care how many snaps you play - if you can't cover the pass, you're not worth the money.
jeanpierre likes this.
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,470
Blog Entries: 12
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Rumor I saw on another site (grain of salt please), is that Lofton was looking for 8-9 Million/year.

That could explain why we haven't signed him.
We have a winner...
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,470
Blog Entries: 12
Considering the level he's played, age, projections forward - I should think 5mil per annum increasing 15% each year for four years + fifth season option, 10 mil guaranteed, 5.5 mil signing bonus should be appropriate contract.
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #28
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Considering the level he's played, age, projections forward - I should think 5mil per annum increasing 15% each year for four years + fifth season option, 10 mil guaranteed, 5.5 mil signing bonus should be appropriate contract.

Where do I sing?
FinSaint is online now  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,915
Kamerion Wimbley reportedly signed a 5-yr $35M contract, which amounts to a $7M/yr average salary, so if Lofton is looking for a $8-9M/yr contract - think again.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Ex-Raiders LB Wimbley close to signing deal with Titans


Stephen Tulloch is probably an even better comparison to Lofton's skill-set, and his new 5-year contract with the Lions is believed to be for around $40M, which would equate to an average yearly salary of $8M/yr.

Detroit Lions re-sign Tulloch among others | Yardbarker.com


There's no way a team should be paying Lofton what Wimbley and Tulloch are being payed, at least in my opinion.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/42357-breakdown-curtis-lofton.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Breakdown of Curtis Lofton This thread Refback 03-20-2012 10:53 AM 12


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts