Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

So we could have had Demeco Ryans

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; for only a 4th.....hmmm.... Eagles acquire Pro Bowl LB Ryans from Texans - NFL - Yahoo! Sports...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jcp026
  • 1 Post By FinSaint

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
El Mero Mero
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kingsville, Tx
Posts: 669
So we could have had Demeco Ryans

for only a 4th.....hmmm....

Eagles acquire Pro Bowl LB Ryans from Texans - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
saintsfan1313 is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,917
Originally Posted by saintsfan1313 View Post

Yeah, but he comes with a $7.4M 2012 cap hit, so how could the Saints have afforded that if they can't seem to afford Lofton, Hawthorne or Bunkley?

And, BTW, Ryans' cap hits for the additional years are with the current contract: 2013: $8.1M; 2014: $8.3M; and 2015: $6.8M. Of course, that contract could be restructured, but not at a discount in all likelihood.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
500th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Yeah, but he comes with a $7.4M 2012 cap hit, so how could the Saints have afforded that if they can't seem to afford Lofton, Hawthorne or Bunkley?

And, BTW, Ryans' cap hits for the additional years are with the current contract: 2013: $8.1M; 2014: $8.3M; and 2015: $6.8M. Of course, that contract could be restructured, but not at a discount in all likelihood.
Cutting Vilma would have taken care of that.
W. Kovacs likes this.
jcp026 is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,917
Originally Posted by jcp026 View Post
Cutting Vilma would have taken care of that.

No it wouldn't have.


Vilma will turn 30 in April, and the Saints could save about $3.4 million in cap space by releasing him.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...in_new_or.html


If the Saints have at the moment $3M in cap space and add that $3.4M from cutting Vilma - it's still not enough to take care of Ryans' cap hit.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,546
Love the guy but his production has fallen off the past few seasons to justify his price tag(though I have no doubt he rebounds). I can see why we passed, if we were ever considered it in the first place. Our priority should be getting a DT in here first.
papz is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,917
Originally Posted by papz View Post
Love the guy but his production has fallen off the past few seasons to justify his price tag(though I have no doubt he rebounds). I can see why we passed, if we were ever considered it in the first place. Our priority should be getting a DT in here first.

And who would take any of the Saints draft picks in exchange for a trade right now with the uncertainty looming over them?
SaintsBro likes this.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,546
Great point.
papz is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: in line with my ridiculous CLEAR PLASTIC BAG
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 3
Exactly. No one is going to do business with the Saints right now, so they are probably not even really looking very hard at trades of this sort until after the decision on penalties comes down.
SaintsBro is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 2,003
Blog Entries: 1
please delete. computer glich
iceshack149 is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 2,003
Blog Entries: 1
Originally Posted by SaintsBro View Post
Exactly. No one is going to do business with the Saints right now, so they are probably not even really looking very hard at trades of this sort until after the decision on penalties comes down.
How can Loomis make a trade involving draft picks without knowing what picks they had at the time? This whole thing stinks.
iceshack149 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/42386-so-we-could-have-had-demeco-ryans.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
So we could have had Demeco Ryans This thread Refback 03-21-2012 08:16 AM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts