New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   Vilma? (http://blackandgold.com/saints/42565-vilma.html)

blackangold 03-23-2012 03:10 PM

Vilma?
 
What should be done with Vilma?

It's almost guaranteed that Vilma is suspended for the season so should we cut him? Keep in mind that even him being suspended would free his cap space up.

Who should the replacement be?

----------------------------

Vilma has a cap value of ~6mil, if he is cut 3.4mil must be paid to him and count against the cap. The Saints should let Vilma serve the suspension and free the 6mil in cap space completely. The cap room could be used to sign Lofton and give Bree$$$ the money he wants.

-------------------------------

As a side discussion I am much more worried about the players being suspended then every other punishment we have seen so far. For example Harper, Smith, Greer and Jenkins have all been around for bountygate imagine missing those 4 and Vilma.

|Mitch| 03-23-2012 03:16 PM

The way I see it; the suspensions almost have to be staggered. No way all 4 could be suspended at the same time, rather I hope not.

I'm also thinking they may just get away with hefty fines, all except Vilma who had reportedly threw 10K up for grabs.

First we have to wait and see what Goodell has to say about it...

dizzle88 03-23-2012 03:19 PM

I love vilma for what he's done for our team, hes been the consistent professional ever since he turned up and always led by example.

But that just makes it more difficult because I think now is the time to let him go and i really don't want to say it, but its the truth

He's probably going to serve a lengthy suspension, with his money we could sign drew and also possibly lofton or another MLB

I think it has to be done, that said it will be sad to see vilma go if it happens

SaintsBro 03-23-2012 04:22 PM

I originally thought this would not be as big a deal, but after seeing what they did to Payton and Loomis, I think we are looking at mass suspensions of many many defensive players, with Goodell having no regard for competitiveness. After all, Benson has already sold out the Dome for the year, so what happens competitively on the field to the Saints in 2012 does not matter AT ALL, from a league perspective.

I suspect because of mass suspensions we will have to retool our entire defense with scabs and nobodies for a good chunk of this year. I expect Goodell to throw the book at the Saints, and especially Vilma, and I think that most suspended players will be cut in order to preserve cap space and sign Drew. Based on what the other penalties so far have been, I would not be AT ALL surprised to see Vilma get a suspension so massive that it equals a lifetime/career ban, and he is done with football forever.

|Mitch| 03-23-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintsBro (Post 391634)
I originally thought this would not be as big a deal, but after seeing what they did to Payton and Loomis, I think we are looking at mass suspensions of many many defensive players, with Goodell having no regard for competitiveness. After all, Benson has already sold out the Dome for the year, so what happens competitively on the field to the Saints in 2012 does not matter AT ALL, from a league perspective.

That's reason enough for season ticket holders to sue.

SAINTstunna 03-23-2012 04:59 PM

all of this because shockey got outshined, outplayed, and replaced by a rookie basketball player that decided to play tight end in the NFL. good luck with your retirement ya damn BUM!!!!

Brandon428 03-23-2012 05:13 PM

Quit blaming Shockey, that bum Sapp needs to keep his lid shut. I’m not defending Shockey as a person because I think if he wasn’t such a slacker he’d still be on the team but he didn’t snitch, Warren Sapp is full of crap!

Jeremy Shockey wants the NFL to punish network analyst Warren Sapp for saying he

FinSaint 03-23-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackangold (Post 391599)
The Saints should let Vilma serve the suspension and free the 6mil in cap space completely. The cap room could be used to sign Lofton and give Bree$$$ the money he wants.


That's a bit incorrect. If Vilma was suspended for the entire season, the Saints would free up $5.4M in salary cap, since they would still be "on the hook" for the $1.2M annual signing bonus salary cap hit.

Only the base salary cap hit of a suspended player won't count towards the overall salary cap, but bonuses still do - like a prorated signing bonus in Vilma's case.

FinSaint 03-23-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzle88 (Post 391605)
He's probably going to serve a lengthy suspension, with his money we could sign drew and also possibly lofton or another MLB

I think it has to be done, that said it will be sad to see vilma go if it happens


From a purely financial standpoint, the best case scenario for the Saints would be if Vilma was suspended for the whole season, because that scenario would open up the most salary cap room - $5.4M.

But if Vilma is back to a 100% health, then naturally it would be best if he didn't receive a suspension and maybe just a fine, and would go on to play as the starting MLB in the coming season.

Cutting Vilma would be the middle option between these two opposites.

Beastmode 03-23-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintsBro (Post 391634)
I would not be AT ALL surprised to see Vilma get a suspension so massive that it equals a lifetime/career ban, and he is done with football forever.

Lifetime? Vick is STILL regarded with prejudice by the Federal government. He can't serve on a jury and I know there other entitlements as a citizen he lost for a while. Not only is he back in, he also got an ataboy from the Prez. Year suspension likely, fine yes... but beyond that, I just don't see it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com