Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Hearings for suspended New Orleans Saints players will be Wednesday, May 30, according to lawyer

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Attorney Peter Ginsberg, who represents New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma, made an appearance on ProFootballTalk's live segment Friday and told the website that the appeals for the players suspended in the bounty scandal will be held Wednesday and May ...

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,619
Blog Entries: 27
Hearings for suspended New Orleans Saints players will be Wednesday, May 30, according to lawyer

Attorney Peter Ginsberg, who represents New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma, made an appearance on ProFootballTalk's live segment Friday and told the website that the appeals for the players suspended in the bounty scandal will be held Wednesday and May 30.

Vilma is facing the longest suspension - a full season - while Saints defensive end Will Smith was suspended for four games, former Saints linebacker Scott Fujita (now with the Browns) was suspended for three games and former Saints defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove (Packers) was hit with an eight-game suspension.

According to Ginsberg, the first hearing will be about whether the appeals should be heard by by Ted Cottrell or Art Shell, jointly hired and paid by the league and the NFLPA to resolve appeals for on-field discipline, instead of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, the man who issued the suspensions and whether the new CBA prevented the league from taking action on behavior that happened prior to Aug. 4, 2011.

Pro Football Talk reported that the second hearing will be about whether the issue should be resolved via Special Master Stephen Burbank because it involves a salary-cap violation.

link back

Said Pope Benedict: "WOW ... that ring is bigger than mine!!!"

SmashMouth is offline  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 05-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: in line with my ridiculous CLEAR PLASTIC BAG
Posts: 2,762
Blog Entries: 3
It seems pretty obvious to me that if one of their key pieces of evidence is Hargrove supposedly saying "pay me my money" while on the field, in the game, then Goodell has to be wrong on this one, and the penalties and appeal hearings should correctly be handled by the people who deal with ON THE FIELD discipline. Since it, uh, is pretty pointless to have a bounty on someone regarding stuff that happens off the field, that's not what anyone is talking about, it's ON THE FIELD. If the Saints defense got in a fight with Favre in a bar, the night before, then yeah, that'd be Goodell's call.
SaintsBro is offline  
Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
500th Post
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 882
Blog Entries: 1
I too think it is an off-field issue, what the NFL is considering as 'off-field' is the actual money transfer. If they have no evidence that Vilma or any other saint actually paid money, then they have no case that this is an off the field issue and the case will be heard by Shell and Cotrell.
mighty12 is offline  
Old 05-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,478
Anybody but Art Shell......I'd rather Pee Wee Herman heard our case.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,845
Any significance for the date? God made it clear he would hear the coaches' appeal as soon as he could. Why the delay here? Still gathering evidence?
Does RG need Scooby and Shaggy to find more clues?
ScottF is offline  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,187
Blog Entries: 5
It's semantics is what it is. Roger is well aware...dirty bastard that he is. I am just hopeful that the players/lawyers/union can leverage enough pressure on the man to force him to do what he doesn't want to do, which is take his foot of the gas.
saintfan is offline  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Mmm That Smell!
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Bucktown Brah!
Posts: 2,383
Saints grievance hearings coming on May 16, 30 | ProFootballTalk
Ginsberg, who represents Vilma, said that the two grievances filed earlier this month will be heard on May 16 and May 30.

The first hearing will focus on the argument that the new CBA prevents the NFL from taking action of any kind against players for conduct occurring before August 4, 2011, along with the question of whether the appeals should be heard not by Commissioner Roger Goodell but by Ted Cottrell or Art Shell, jointly hired and paid by the league and the NFLPA to resolve appeals for on-field discipline.

The May 30 hearing centers on the contention that, to the extent the discipline arises from extra money paid to players in violation of the salary cap, the matter should be resolved via Special Master Stephen Burbank.

Ginsberg also said that the league still has not given him or the NFLPA evidence proving that the players funded or received payments from a bounty program, and he confirmed that other legal proceedings could be utilized. The ultimate goal is to find a forum that will compel the NFL to share the evidence it has gathered regarding the question of whether the players are guilty, or innocent.

One way or the other, it’s only fair for the NFL to eventually disclose the evidence, and to provide a fair opportunity for Ginsberg and the NFLPA to scrutinize it.
SmashMouth likes this.

I'm no one.
Who are you?
RockyMountainSaint is offline  
Old 05-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,845
Originally Posted by RockyMountainSaint View Post
Saints grievance hearings coming on May 16, 30 | ProFootballTalk
Ginsberg, who represents Vilma, said that the two grievances filed earlier this month will be heard on May 16 and May 30.

The first hearing will focus on the argument that the new CBA prevents the NFL from taking action of any kind against players for conduct occurring before August 4, 2011, along with the question of whether the appeals should be heard not by Commissioner Roger Goodell but by Ted Cottrell or Art Shell, jointly hired and paid by the league and the NFLPA to resolve appeals for on-field discipline.

The May 30 hearing centers on the contention that, to the extent the discipline arises from extra money paid to players in violation of the salary cap, the matter should be resolved via Special Master Stephen Burbank.

Ginsberg also said that the league still has not given him or the NFLPA evidence proving that the players funded or received payments from a bounty program, and he confirmed that other legal proceedings could be utilized. The ultimate goal is to find a forum that will compel the NFL to share the evidence it has gathered regarding the question of whether the players are guilty, or innocent.

One way or the other, itís only fair for the NFL to eventually disclose the evidence, and to provide a fair opportunity for Ginsberg and the NFLPA to scrutinize it.
So again, no evidence. Please be on time for your hearing. Appeal denied.
ScottF is offline  
Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,619
Blog Entries: 27
Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
So again, no evidence. Please be on time for your hearing. Appeal denied.
Can't wait for the process to proceed in front of public courts, judicial and otherwise. Relinquish the evidence, if there is any RG!
SmashMouth is offline  
Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,800
Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
Can't wait for the process to proceed in front of public courts, judicial and otherwise. Relinquish the evidence, if there is any RG!
That wait will be a long one. There are so many issues that have to be dealt with... the CBA contract with mulltiple discrepanies, other issues the NFLPA has not stated, then the actual suspensions and evidence. Top that off with more appeals. It's going to take years to resolve the whole thing. The main thing the NFLPA needs to work on is re-instating players until it is resolved. Very similar to Star Caps in that the NFL may have violated State and or Federal laws in regards to contracts.
Beastmode is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/43845-hearings-suspended-new-orleans-saints-players-will-wednesday-may-30-according-lawyer.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Hearings for suspended New Orleans Saints players will be Wednesday, May 30, according to lawyer This thread Refback 05-12-2012 12:15 PM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts