New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   NOLA.com New Orleans Saints secondary subtle early impressions (http://blackandgold.com/saints/44244-new-orleans-saints-secondary-subtle-early-impressions.html)

CharityMike 05-31-2012 03:01 PM

New Orleans Saints secondary subtle early impressions
 
1 Attachment(s)
One thing that stands out from early Saints practices under new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and secondary coach Ken Flajole, whom Spagnuolo brought over from his Rams staff, it is different drills for the secondary.

Interceptions, or, more accurately, the lack thereof have been a problem for the Saints recently and Spagnuolo has some new drills for his defensive backs. In one, they stand on the side of a high pole and are required to reach around it and catch balls thrown to the opposite side of where they are standing. The backs also have drills catching balls that are painted white on both tips, some times hauling in throws after running a distance under a net designed to keep them low.

Read more.
New Orleans Saints secondary subtle early impressions - New Orleans Saints Football NFL News - NOLA.com

dizzle88 05-31-2012 04:08 PM

Like I said a couple of weeks ago

"the more I read about spags, the more i like him and am glad we have him running our D.

He's noticed our weaknesses and is making strides, yeah the forced fumbles were good, but i grew more and more annoyed of a 3 yard run turning into a 9 yard run because we wanted to strip the ball more than tackle

Danno 05-31-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzle88 (Post 409207)
Like I said a couple of weeks ago

"the more I read about spags, the more i like him and am glad we have him running our D.

He's noticed our weaknesses and is making strides, yeah the forced fumbles were good, but i grew more and more annoyed of a 3 yard run turning into a 9 yard run because we wanted to strip the ball more than tackle

Agreed. I think the missed tackles were a bigger problem than the lack of picks.

CharityMike 05-31-2012 07:30 PM

"In one, they stand on the side of a high pole and are required to reach around it and catch balls thrown to the opposite side of where they are standing. The backs also have drills catching balls that are painted white on both tips, some times hauling in throws after running a distance under a net designed to keep them low."

Music to my ears. Roman Harper better be doing this day and night!

The Dude 05-31-2012 08:08 PM

The reason why we had so few take aways is because we always went for the strip or interception to collect that pay per perfomance money instead of wrapping up and tackling.

CharityMike 05-31-2012 08:46 PM

I think thats a sore subject.

Rugby Saint II 06-01-2012 02:25 PM

Subtle????? Teaching them the fundamentals is anything but subtle!

ScottF 06-01-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dude (Post 409249)
The reason why we had so few take aways is because we always went for the strip or interception to collect that pay per perfomance money instead of wrapping up and tackling.

You solved the lack of ints question--- because our DB's were making so much off bounties, they didn't have incentive for picks

The Dude 06-01-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottF (Post 409429)
You solved the lack of ints question--- because our DB's were making so much off bounties, they didn't have incentive for picks

Huh?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com