Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Another Brees contract thread. New idea.

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Being new to all the ins and outs where do we stand if no deal is made and drew sits out the season? Can we just tagg him again next season or does he become a FA. Would a sign ...

Like Tree4Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 3,318
Being new to all the ins and outs where do we stand if no deal is made and drew sits out the season?
Can we just tagg him again next season or does he become a FA.
Would a sign and trade be a option like in the NBA
lee909 is offline  
Latest Blogs
How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Childhood Trauma Prevention Last Blog: 08-29-2014 By: Barry from MS


Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,912
They could just give him a huge signing bonus, with really low base salaries, because a signing bonus counts incrementally towards the cap, but Brees would get the whole sum in his bank account immediately so that he wouldn't have to worry about his financial security (which sounds so stupid even when I'm writing that).

If they would give him a $100M signing bonus and a 6-year contract that would be an annual cap hit of $16.7M while Brees would get the whole $100M immediately and then they could add a minimal base salary to that like with Will Smith's current re-structured contract.

I just don't know if Benson has $100M to just hand over to Brees at once or if he has the desire to that even if he has the money available or if there are some limitations concerning the size of the signing bonuses.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is online now  
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,912
Originally Posted by lee909 View Post
Being new to all the ins and outs where do we stand if no deal is made and drew sits out the season?
Can we just tagg him again next season or does he become a FA.
Would a sign and trade be a option like in the NBA

Yes, they can tag him for 3 consecutive years, but I don't think anyone's sure how sitting out a year will affect the size of the tag they would place on him in 2013 or at least I'm a bit unsure about that part of it myself.

Sign and trades are very uncommon in the NFL, but there's nothing really stopping teams from doing it in regards to the league regulations.
FinSaint is online now  
Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
100th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harvey La.
Posts: 445
Can't possibly believe some of the possibilites I read here. Come on Brees wants to be here this whole thing is due to the Saints slapping that tag on Him then stalling negotiations not in good faith. Personally I think the tag should be abolished period. If you are not willing to negotiate a deal then that player should have the right to go and negotiate with whomever is willing to deal with Him and you would not have this type of S#@t going on. If he sits this year I believe that next year other teams can make offers and then the saints would have to match. This does not matter though because if he sits it is over between Him and the Saints. All the good things Loomis has done as far as I am concerned are negaited If he fails to get Brees back.
Supertek is offline  
Old 06-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,912
Originally Posted by Supertek View Post
Can't possibly believe some of the possibilites I read here. Come on Brees wants to be here this whole thing is due to the Saints slapping that tag on Him then stalling negotiations not in good faith. Personally I think the tag should be abolished period. If you are not willing to negotiate a deal then that player should have the right to go and negotiate with whomever is willing to deal with Him and you would not have this type of S#@t going on. If he sits this year I believe that next year other teams can make offers and then the saints would have to match. This does not matter though because if he sits it is over between Him and the Saints. All the good things Loomis has done as far as I am concerned are negaited If he fails to get Brees back.

I disagree, I support the tag fully because it gives the franchises a chance to hold on to their "face of the franchise" guy even if they might not want to sign him to a long term contract or if they just want to buy some more time to conclude the contract negotiations.

I probably would feel another way if the teams could tag more than one player at a time and for longer than 3 consecutive years, but the way it stands at the moment I do feel that it is fair for the franchises to have this additional tool in their arsenal because they are responsible to far more parties than just their immediate family's financial security.

It's true that if Brees sits out a season, the tag the Saints can put on him next season won't be the exclusive type. But what I was speaking about was that I'm not sure how that affects the yearly wage rise that is accompanied with consecutive tags, since if he sits out he won't get payed this year. Still, you have to remember that while other teams could then offer Brees a contract, they would also lose 2 1st round picks in addition to paying Brees a record amount of money. I'm not saying that there aren't teams willing to do that, but I wonder if Brees wants to sign with one of those teams - he might if he is only after the money.

And in conclusion, while it would probably reflect badly on Loomis if he isn't able to sign Brees to a long term contract, I would personally be more pissed at him if he was to sign Brees to a contract which in effect would handcuff the FO in regards to what they can do with the rest of the team and in addition set a bad precedent for future contract negotiations - like when Charles Grant's contract set a bad precedent for Will Smith's contract.

Honestly, if I had to choose between Loomis and Brees, the decision wouldn't even be that hard.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is online now  
Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,338
Some interesting scenarios........but if they don't include Drew signing then I don't care.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 06-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
Site Donor 2014
Lucky Cat
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 8,409
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by B_Dub_Saint View Post
Ok, instead of frontloading the first 3 years of his contract and causing all of these difficult decisions Mickey has to make, can another option be that we can just guarantee him the salary he wants no matter what.

I'm not an expert on contract negotiations, so excuse my ignorance if that is not an option, but think about it. We could say, no matter what happens in lets say a 5 year deal you will get the total ammount of money that you want spread out through out your entire contract.

I know this brings up the issue of what if he gets hurt and other circumstances but I believe the man deserves it. Spreading the money out could help the cap and also get Brees what he ultimately wants no matter what happens.

What are your thoughts?
If I were Brees, I'd think you were nuts. Never mind that I agree with Drew.
foreverfan is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 2,910
Blog Entries: 1
Originally Posted by foreverfan View Post
If I were Brees, I'd think you were nuts. Never mind that I agree with Drew.
I already know your nuts fool
foreverfan likes this.
B_Dub_Saint is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
Site Donor 2014
Lucky Cat
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 8,409
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by B_Dub_Saint View Post
I already know your nuts fool

foreverfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/44356-another-brees-contract-thread-new-idea.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Another Brees contract thread. New idea. This thread Refback 06-05-2012 07:27 PM 11


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts